Launch Member

Traveler I

Boone, NC
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Hamilton
Member #

I just made one for myself based off of this guys video! It's awesome.....just have to figure out my permanent mounting method.

Ultragoat

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Boone, NC
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Hamilton
Member #

Perhaps a few pics of your build would be cool!
file-1.jpegfile2.jpeg file1.jpeg I am still working on a permanent mounting solution. It holds pressure at 50psi with no issues and works great. You definitely need a pipe wrench handy to open and close the fill cap as that seemed to be the only place it would leak if it wasn't tightened enough. My ABS glue technique was a bit messy but I am otherwise very happy with the 60 bucks I spent on the project! I hope this helps!

Hula_100

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Clovis, Ca
Member #

This just put all my current projects on hold... this is awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Rubicajon

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Panama City Beach, FL, USA
First Name
RUBI
Last Name
CAJON
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5VLS
Service Branch
Seabee’s
Try using this in place of drilling your pipe for a fill port. Lowes has it as a 4in x 4in x 2in Sanatary T. You can still put a petcock in it for a bleeder valve.

SubeeBen

Rank V

Advocate I

Alpine, CA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Jacques
Member #

Just started working on mine today. I am using 2 4” pvc pipes to be connected by tubing which will allow me twice the capacity as I have wife & 11 year old daughter so I’ll need that extra water. Can’t figure out if it’s getting mounted on the Jeep or trailer will post pictures next week when completed. Thanks for the info & video.

Reactions: Rubicajon

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

This a great alternative to buying pre-made, and looks like a fun project that can be modified as you go......

JersT4R

Rank V
Investor

Traveler III

Norfolk, VA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Bailey
Member #

I bought the 4" PVC Schedule 40 pipe and T-Connector with threaded cap. However, I need a flat end cap for the back so I can add the Valve and Hose Spigot. I also need to order the Metal Valve Stem, to replace the rubber seal one I got from a tire store - not sure the one I have will correctly seal.

@Jku Ben - what did you use for the end cap - what brand, any issues?

IMG_2701.JPG

JersT4R

Rank V
Investor

Traveler III

Norfolk, VA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Bailey
Member #

Got some foam blocks from a neighbor, and cut them to fit my stock roof rack.

Where do I find a 4” flat end cap for the valve and hose spigot? Anyone?

IMG_2706.JPG

Ditcherman

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sheridan, IN, USA
Member #

View attachment 64655

View attachment 64655
Check out pvc40.com, can’t seem to copy and paste their pics, what I would do is buy a reducing tee that is 4”slip x 3/4”FPT X 4” slip, and use a normal end cap, avoid trying to tap (thread) the end cap that you may pressurize, looks like a weak spot to me. You want a valve stem with a nut on the inside (aluminum wheel type I believe). I’m assuming the conduit fitting you have there is just to back up the threaded part, could be tough to glue conduit and pvc.

JersT4R

Rank V
Investor

Traveler III

Norfolk, VA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Bailey
Member #

@Ditcherman I ended up using the rounded cap. Drilled the holes and test fitted the hose spigot and metal valve stem (found 4 pack on Amazon), and painted. Done!

With pressure it leaked, but I sealed up the caps and connectors with the Silicon. Should be good.

IMG_2728.JPG

Reactions: Ditcherman

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Looks like a very neat and possibly very handy project.

However, I have explosive concerns. As in... it may explode and hurt someone. What kind of pressure do you pressurize it to... and what pressure does it end up being after it heats up?

Kind of reminds me of the spud guns from back in the day. lol

SubeeBen

Rank V

Advocate I

Alpine, CA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Jacques
Member #

I bought the 4" PVC Schedule 40 pipe and T-Connector with threaded cap. However, I need a flat end cap for the back so I can add the Valve and Hose Spigot. I also need to order the Metal Valve Stem, to replace the rubber seal one I got from a tire store - not sure the one I have will correctly seal.

@Jku Ben - what did you use for the end cap - what brand, any issues?

View attachment 64612
ABS 4” end cap. Abs is used as a drain not pressurized but it is rated for 80 psi & im only going 30 to 40 psi so figured I’d be good. The cap you have in the picture is the correct one & it is rated up to 160 psi I believe.