Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
I was just looking at the original metal version of this. They integrated a automotive radiator cap... to vent excess pressure as it forms. Even has an explosion warning sticker next to that cap warning that it may explode if that safety cap fails.

Ditcherman

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sheridan, IN, USA
Member #

I was just looking at the original metal version of this. They integrated a automotive radiator cap... to vent excess pressure as it forms. Even has an explosion warning sticker next to that cap warning that it may explode if that safety cap fails.
To answer you question of pressure rise specifically and technically, it’s “not much”. Call me a smart ass here. But seriously, a quick google search of water heater t&p valves revealed a common relief of 150psi. That’s on a powered water heater capable of going from 48* water to 140* or whatever. The sun is not going to heat that pipe painted black that much, and even if it did the pipe is rated at maybe 160 working pressure and you have to derate 20% at it’s max operating temp of 140*, so 128 psi max. So if I hooked my compressor and 4 gallon tank that kicks out at 120 psi I might be over the specs, but still not close to bursting pressure. The OP has leaks sealed with silicone, so he’s unlikely to overpressurize.
I know some of this is google science, and some is even worse, my opinion, but in my imagination if you suddenly opened the nozzle on the shower you would get just a trickle for a second. Not much pressure.
That, and it’s been done before.
Sorry if this comes off negative or attacking, I don’t mean it to be that way, just my opinion!

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

The initial RoadShower had an 18 PSI radiator cap. The second model had thicker aluminum and 25 PSI. The current RoadShower models have a completely different industrial type pressure relief valve rated at 65 PSI, and a much stronger tank. The old tank with the new cap couldn’t stand up to the higher pressures.

Be careful with pressures, and remember that any air in the tank will expand as it heats, raising pressures.

Reactions: Ditcherman

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

Another concern would be the effect of UV on PVC since the purpose of a “solar” shower is to stick it out in the sunlight to heat up. Out here in the desert, the effect of UV light from the sun a readily apparent. Plastic lawn furniture lasts a year or two before it becomes brittle. The same thing happened with a misting system on our porch that is made of PVC which was never exposed to direct sunlight. It lasted 5-6 years, but ended up cracking and breaking. Living in the desert for the past 25 years has taught me the sun is not your friend.

Per this article, the only area of concern is impact strength, with tensile strength (the ability to hold pressure) being unaffected. I’d still be concerned.

http://www.nacopvc.com/c/tech-info/the-effects-of-sunlight-exposure-on-pvc-pipe

And for full disclosure, I do own a Roadshower which I ordered after I bought all the components to make my own PVC version.

Last edited:

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
@ Ditcherman

No worries. I just wanted to make sure that those reading the thread kept it in mind and stayed safe. I have a feeling that the weak points are not the pipe... but where the things are attached to the pipe. Which is going to be drastically weaker.

Even home hotwater tanks... which have been perfected over a century have issues sometimes. Of course something like this would not have a similar explosive force. It would just likely turn into a missile.

If I saw someone making their own rim for their tires I would say the same thing. Exploding tires can kill as well.

Here is a cool video of the explosive force of a home hot water tank. It can level a small house.

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Another concern would be the effect of UV on PVC
I didn't even think of that aspect. Good point.

I know the electrical PVC (grey) conduit at HD or Lowe's has something extra for UV stabilization. May be worth a consider for some folks.

EDIT: I just realized something horrible!!! I am officially an old man now. I just told someone "you might poke your eye out kid". This is a sad day. :(

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
And... I still might try this some day... but without pressure. Just hot water and gravity mounted high. Leaving no air in there when first filling it with cold water and keeping the valve open after use so the expanding heated air won't cause risk. Geese I am old. lol

Ditcherman

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sheridan, IN, USA
Member #

I didn't even think of that aspect. Good point.

I know the electrical PVC (grey) conduit at HD or Lowe's has something extra for UV stabilization. May be worth a consider for some folks.

EDIT: I just realized something horrible!!! I am officially an old man now. I just told someone "you might poke your eye out kid". This is a sad day. :(
No, no, calm down, it’ll be ok, it happens to the best of us. I just try to stay “young at heart”, and fake my way through hanging with the cool kids.

Seriously though, if the pvc did explode, it would be very very bad. Comes apart in lethal shards. I play with tannerite. I just don’t think it will in this case. I’d love to find a big chunk of aluminum pipe to make one but like the radiator cap idea.

Reactions: great08

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
No, no, calm down, it’ll be ok, it happens to the best of us. I just try to stay “young at heart”, and fake my way through hanging with the cool kids.

Seriously though, if the pvc did explode, it would be very very bad. Comes apart in lethal shards. I play with tannerite. I just don’t think it will in this case. I’d love to find a big chunk of aluminum pipe to make one but like the radiator cap idea.

I think if I ever build one I will use a low pressure rad cap as well. Just as an insurance.

There is a pretty good chance I will build one of these since I live near the beach... and go kayak fishing almost every weekend. Fish guts can smell HORRIBLE by the time the trash comes. I would like to be able to clean some fish on the tailgate and rinse it off before heading home after a trip. If nothing else I will be able to rinse the bait off of my hands and sand off of my feet (and the kid's feet).

The time saved from no longer having to clean out the truck would pay for it in a month or two.

Not to forget to mention that getting the salt off of lures and rods before it dries would save them as well.

Alright... I may do this pretty soon. lol I think I convinced myself!

SiDbaru

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler I

California
Member #

I really like this idea but my only grip is having x amount of gallons of water mounted so high up.
I am going to attempt to build a short fat one or a solar shower with two tubes side by side mounted somewhere low and clever.
I'll sketch something up once I finish this garage project

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
I really like this idea but my only grip is having x amount of gallons of water mounted so high up.
I am going to attempt to build a short fat one or a solar shower with two tubes side by side mounted somewhere low and clever.
I'll sketch something up once I finish this garage project
I had the same thing in mind. Somewhere like down inside of the bed along the long wall. Out of the way when driving and looking back too. It just will have less gravitational pull though. Which is fine if the plumbing is built to compensate.

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

We purchased the gravity fed solar shower bag.. Still have yet to use it. I've seriously considered one of these tubes..for ease of carrying.. I also would probably use fuel cell foam to put into the tube to help prevent the water from sloshing around as much while driving around..

@Zeroviz, what type of roof rack is that?

AlabamaDan

Rank 0

Traveler I

I like this idea a lot. If you search youtube there are several variations on this. It's a great idea. I can see using it for a shower, washing off little things, various camping duties, hunting duties, etc.

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
More Possible Solar shower options....

I was just looking through Amazon for a fuel tank mount bracket and came across aftermarket fuel tanks and air tanks.

Found some interesting ones that look like they would work!

The 5gal air tank here can hold up to 200psi. May have to swap some fittings around for water though...

This one is a 7gal Poly fuel tank. I would not pressurize it though. They do make aluminum ones as well...

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I like the PVC idea for water storage but I think I'm going to go a different route than pressurizing with air. I plan to use the 12 vdc diaphragm pump below with automatic switch. This way I just have to make sure the PVC is water tight versus making sure I can pressurize it.

Reactions: great08

Zeroviz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wayne, NJ
First Name
John
Last Name
St. Denis
Member #

I ended up putting a 12 volt mini pump which I plugged into 12v port in my dash. It worked great except when the temp dropped to 17 deg and the water froze.
I switched out the fitting on the mini pump so that I could adapt them right onto the garden hose connection. Sorry I don’t have a picture of the setup. I can look when I get home.

Reactions: Viking1204

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I ended up putting a 12 volt mini pump which I plugged into 12v port in my dash. It worked great except when the temp dropped to 17 deg and the water froze.
I switched out the fitting on the mini pump so that I could adapt them right onto the garden hose connection. Sorry I don’t have a picture of the setup. I can look when I get home.
Thanks, pretty sure I won't have that water freeze problem in Florida!