Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I'm looking at using composite fence pickets for the floor in my rack once it gets the extension and added floor braces. I read a post from a guy in Arizona on a different forum thats had it in his rack in a redwood color for over two years and no warping or discoloration or any other problems. I thought about the coop flooring too but I think I like the composite better.
Not a bad idea. I would just think it would get baked pretty easily depending on the stain/finish from sun/rain, but I bet it would look nice.
You would have to come up with a way to mount them. Do you know how he mounted them?

The sheets of polymax flooring happen to be almost perfectly sized for my roof rack and are made to interlock, so it made the install very easy.

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

If you want to use ratchet straps on your rack, I'd stick with 1" tubing. A good hook will have an opening that can accept a 1" tube. Build a rack that can support a good amount of weight, but don't overload it with gear.

Those "mounting points" in @BEAR's picture are just plain scary!

überlander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Kultala
Member #

Service Branch
Retired Army
Mine was actually built using 1in EMT tubing lol... It is super light and surprisingly strong, I was standing on it and it didnt even flex, and I weigh 210.
Did you weld at all? I've been kicking around the idea of making one myself using EMT but I don't want to just bolt it all together, I haven't welded in years but I'm hoping to pick one up and try. If you did weld it, do you remember what you used? Appreciate it.

Last edited:

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Did you weld at all? I've been kicking around the idea of making one myself using EMT but I don't want to just bolt it all together, I haven't welded in years but I'm hoping to pick one up and try. If you did weld it, do you remember when you used? Appreciate it.
Yes, it was welded.. Not sure what was used to weld it. Be careful..it is galvanized so the coating is TOXIC!!

Reactions: überlander

PetfishEric

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Knoxville, TN
Member #

A basket I did for my YJ years ago using 1/2 EMT. It sat on a Smittybilt rack. Once I received the Smittybilt rack I couldn't bring myself to pay for there basket. The rack was not all that well built and I could have made it for half the price. P1010072.JPG

überlander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Kultala
Member #

Service Branch
Retired Army
A basket I did for my YJ years ago using 1/2 EMT. It sat on a Smittybilt rack. Once I received the Smittybilt rack I couldn't bring myself to pay for there basket. The rack was not all that well built and I could have made it for half the price. View attachment 6102
Looks great! I finally started on mine, this is just the beginning I'm planning on taking up the entire roof.

Attachments

brianb2

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Charlotte, NC
Member #

Electrical Metalic Tubing. It's the electrical conduit you see used in a lot of buildings. You can pick it up a the big box hardware stores.

brianb2

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Charlotte, NC
Member #

Once I received the Smittybilt rack I couldn't bring myself to pay for there basket. The rack was not all that well built and I could have made it for half the price.
Looks good, I've been thinking about doing the same. If you would have made your rack as well, would you have fabricated the brackets or bought them? I've been looking at repurposing mirror relocation brackets.

PetfishEric

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Knoxville, TN
Member #

I would have made my own brackets if I hadn't picked up the Smittybilt rack. The only reason I spent the money on the Smittybilt rack was because I was able to get it as a price less than I could have picked up the materials at the time. Now for the Ram Charger I will have to build the entire thing because no one makes anything for this bruiser.

PetfishEric

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Knoxville, TN
Member #

With a rack like that you should name your ride Heavy Metal. Then you can blast Don Felder's "Heavy Metal (Takin a ride)". Or ride with Sammy Hagar's "Heavy Metal" same movie. :sunglasses: