Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

So I had some mounts fabricated by a guy on a 3rd Gen 4Runner board for my new hi lift that I like to refer to as a Spanish Inquisition Device.

You remove two tie downs just inside the lift gate and put in the mounts et Viola. BUT, I have caveman-like mechanical skills, I broke off the screw. With a trip coming up, a new idea is needed.

What do you think? I have a small basket rack. My plan is to cut and attached foam pipe insulation and put them on the rack, then use 3-4 points to lash the jack with a steel/wire rope that's dipped in vinyl. Think mega twisty almost as thick as a bike lock chain.

So it seems like an ok idea to me, and the cost is less than 10 dollars. I doubt I'll need it the jack too often, but I like this better than just laying in the back.

Thoughts?

SLO Robert

Reactions: Mad Garden Gnome

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
Put pics up of what broke.
Maybe bring to my place Tuesday night.
We weld. Make better.

"Spanish Inquisition Device".......classic.

Reactions: Veggie Man

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

image.jpg And here's what I wanted to install in that hole now occupied by a broken bolt.

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

Very much so. I've been messing with it, but don't have too many tools nor knowledge.

Do you weld? I'm shopping for help putting on some sliders.

Canyon_Cliff

Rank VI

Influencer I

Victorville, California
First Name
Clifford
Last Name
Bennett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YHU
So I had some mounts fabricated by a guy on a 3rd Gen 4Runner board for my new hi lift that I like to refer to as a Spanish Inquisition Device.

You remove two tie downs just inside the lift gate and put in the mounts et Viola. BUT, I have caveman-like mechanical skills, I broke off the screw. With a trip coming up, a new idea is needed.

What do you think? I have a small basket rack. My plan is to cut and attached foam pipe insulation and put them on the rack, then use 3-4 points to lash the jack with a steel/wire rope that's dipped in vinyl. Think mega twisty almost as thick as a bike lock chain.

So it seems like an ok idea to me, and the cost is less than 10 dollars. I doubt I'll need it the jack too often, but I like this better than just laying in the back.

Thoughts?

SLO Robert
Check out Speedmaster PCE557.1005 Jack Accessory. This is a well made mount that bolts onto your rack basket with U-bolts and clamps. I have this mounted to my rack and it holds my Hi-lift Jack and recovery shovel. Very inexpensive- worth trying.

Cliff

Reactions: SLO Rob

vicali

Rank IV

Advocate II

"Please don't tie your hilift onto a roof basket, thanks" - people in other cars.

The best thing about a hilift is it has a ton of holes in it perfect for post mounting..

Get some ubolts and you should be able to come up with something more secure.. just don't hang it out somewhere where it's going to turn into a missile if it breaks.

Canyon_Cliff

Rank VI

Influencer I

Victorville, California
First Name
Clifford
Last Name
Bennett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YHU
Having it on my roof rack is no more prone to coming loose then those on bumpers, hoods, and tire carriers. Mine is bolted and padlocked to the rack.

Reactions: Anon

TheMcCalls

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Auburn, WA
Member #

So what'd you end up using finally?

I'm trying to find/have made something to hold it up in my truck bed, along the side, above the wheel well, under the bed rail.

CJ LeFevre

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Member #

Check out Speedmaster PCE557.1005 Jack Accessory. This is a well made mount that bolts onto your rack basket with U-bolts and clamps. I have this mounted to my rack and it holds my Hi-lift Jack and recovery shovel. Very inexpensive- worth trying.

Cliff
Do you have any pictures of this on you r roof rack?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using OB Talk mobile app

Canyon_Cliff

Rank VI

Influencer I

Victorville, California
First Name
Clifford
Last Name
Bennett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YHU
Here are photos of the brackets attached to the Rack, and with the Jack and full size shovel attached. Notice that the Jack is bolted to the rear bracket with a 1/2" bolt. Also, I use a security cable, and padlock, wrapped around and through the Jack and Rack for both theft deterrent and redundant attachment in the unlikely event the bolt backs out. The brackets have many ways to attach to a rack. In my case I elongated one hole in each bracket to match the spacing of the tubing of my Rack. 20170527_083458.jpg 20170527_083508.jpg 20170527_084524.jpg 20170527_084537.jpg

CJ LeFevre

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Member #

Oh cool... I couldnt understand how it mounted but makes sense now. I have a platform style roof rack so I'm not sure if it would work me. Do you think it would be secure with only the bottom mounted? I don't think so but it's hard to see how it attaches.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using OB Talk mobile app

Canyon_Cliff

Rank VI

Influencer I

Victorville, California
First Name
Clifford
Last Name
Bennett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YHU
The attachment, as I have it, is simple. There is the U-bolt at the top, and a half round clamp plate at the bottom of each bracket. Obviously I have a rack with round bars top and bottom which is ideal for these brackets. The brackets have several bolt hole patterns to fit various rack styles. I am not sure if I remember correctly, but, I think it came with additional clamps of different style. For the cost of these it would not be unreasonable to purchase a set and then figure out how best to mount them. At worst you could bolt or weld on additional pieces to adapt to your rack.

JaimyMac630

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Rescue, California, USA
First Name
Jaimy
Last Name
McLaughlin
Member #

Here are photos of the brackets attached to the Rack, and with the Jack and full size shovel attached. Notice that the Jack is bolted to the rear bracket with a 1/2" bolt. Also, I use a security cable, and padlock, wrapped around and through the Jack and Rack for both theft deterrent and redundant attachment in the unlikely event the bolt backs out. The brackets have many ways to attach to a rack. In my case I elongated one hole in each bracket to match the spacing of the tubing of my Rack. View attachment 24612 View attachment 24613 View attachment 24615 View attachment 24616
Thanks for sharing! I Just ordered it!