Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I agree and disagree I use mine on back roads to where I live and many many times these lights have allowed me to stop before a deer has jumped in front of my vehicle as I saw them running from the trees much earlier... That being said the first hint of car lights coming in the opposite direction the light goes off. I never just drive around with them blinding people
There is a time and place for everything. I live in crowded suburbia and often see folks running with blazing aftermarket lights on crowded thoroughfares with no regard for others. If I lived in a rural area I would do the same.

Reactions: Boucher

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Beware but they are illegal in Colorado to even have on your vehicle. They don't tend to enforce it much, but just don't piss off the cop.

• Wow
Reactions: Ubiety

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Here it's a necessity to run auxiliary lighting if you drive in the nighttime. The general rule is having them hooked to your high beam for a trigger and on a switch as well. Most people abide by this rule. Bright lights are needed here because of so many moose on our roads. They kill people every year. Therefore, I will have the brightest, most night penetrating lights I can find for driving on our highways in the night. Being triggered by high beam switch makes everything quit to shut down if cars are coming in the opposite direction. We do not have very much traffic on the highways here even less at night. Even the 5/0's here have auxiliary lighting on their cruisers. Just a way of life here.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Beware but they are illegal in Colorado to even have on your vehicle. They don't tend to enforce it much, but just don't piss off the cop.
Got a source because almost everywhere (even VA which is particularly strict) allows for aux lighting that has an opaque cover.

If OP wants to run lights on the road, Rigid, KC, and others have SAE-certified lighting that is legal for use as a driving (hi-beam) light. You just need to be aware of may only have so many lights illuminated laws and not run too many at once.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Got a source because almost everywhere (even VA which is particularly strict) allows for aux lighting that has an opaque cover.

If OP wants to run lights on the road, Rigid, KC, and others have SAE-certified lighting that is legal for use as a driving (hi-beam) light. You just need to be aware of may only have so many lights illuminated laws and not run too many at once.
Colorado even has laws about how high they can be mounted. Personally I don't care as long as they don't blind me.

OVRLNDCBR

Rank V

Advocate I

Canberra ACT, Australia
First Name
Jarrad
Last Name
Horne
Member #

I agree and disagree I use mine on back roads to where I live and many many times these lights have allowed me to stop before a deer has jumped in front of my vehicle as I saw them running from the trees much earlier... That being said the first hint of car lights coming in the opposite direction the light goes off. I never just drive around with them blinding people
Another major factor of why I want the lights - the roo's here are everywhere and dumb af! They'll jump right out in front of the car, or bounce along next to it then turn 90deg into the car.

Boucher

Rank V

Member II

Maidens, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Boucher
Member #

Service Branch
Retired USN
So I paid attention this am on my commute to work (I drive a mini during the week) seems the new cars and trucks have as bright or brighter lights as my offroad lights and these are on stock vehicles. I believe the brighter lights issue just isn't an offroad truck issue and the car manufactures are to blame as well.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
So I paid attention this am on my commute to work (I drive a mini during the week) seems the new cars and trucks have as bright or brighter lights as my offroad lights and these are on stock vehicles. I believe the brighter lights issue just isn't an offroad truck issue and the car manufactures are to blame as well.
Agreed, We find toyota corollas the worst. They have some sort of retina ripping LED technology in there. But most led lighting is brutal because of the wavelength of the light. Same as dumb blue HIDs.

Reactions: Ubiety and Boucher

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

Not all new trucks. My F-150 lights are definitely not the brightest. Some rainy nights my wife even wonders if they are on at all.

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
It's all in the beam pattern. OEM headlights must pass strict testing, so they try and get as much light onto the road as possible, without wasting it and glaring oncoming drivers.

Off-road lights NEVER get that kind of $$$ investment, even "SAE" lights. Off-road lights need to be useful off-road, so they are allowed to put more light "everywhere", which means they could be putting out more light than and OEM headlight, just spread out over larger area in 3D.

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
Agreed, We find toyota corollas the worst. They have some sort of retina ripping LED technology in there. But most led lighting is brutal because of the wavelength of the light. Same as dumb blue HIDs.
We have a 2020 Corolla with LED headlights. I hate them, they are not bright at all. My older cars with HIDs have much better headlights, broader beams of white light. The Corolla seems to have no distance and the light is too "purple" in tone. Rain makes them seem useless. I highly doubt they offend anyone but me! The NHTSA tested them and also said they are very poor performing lights (they said glare was nearly zero too).
Interesting that you think they are bright? What country are you in? I noticed USA Corollas have different headlights than Europe and Australia.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
We have a 2020 Corolla with LED headlights. I hate them, they are not bright at all. My older cars with HIDs have much better headlights, broader beams of white light. The Corolla seems to have no distance and the light is too "purple" in tone. Rain makes them seem useless. I highly doubt they offend anyone but me! The NHTSA tested them and also said they are very poor performing lights (they said glare was nearly zero too).
Interesting that you think they are bright? What country are you in? I noticed USA Corollas have different headlights than Europe and Australia.
Canada. It's the purple wavelength while coming at you rips your eyes. They are BRUTAL!

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
If you truly want ditch lights, flood lights would absolutely be best and aimed outward. I have some on my F150 with brackets from zroad. There are better, more effective options out there for a lighting perspective but not much else can be as cheap and easily removed as a set of ditch lights. And as others have mentioned, do not use them on paved roads.....

The also make a handy spot to mount antennas.
IMG_6074.jpg