Differential Lockers: Front or Rear?

• HTML tutorial

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I did quite a bit of digging before deciding to go with dual Truetacs, and never really heard anything like this. Would love any details you could provide!
Highway speeds, fresh snow, hard packed snow, icy bits, almost any kind of snow/ice and a LSD in the rear (especially a truck that has little to no weight in the rear) the back end will get "spooky" as in poor traction situations, both rear tires will want to break loose. With an open rear diff, one tire will always just be turning straight. Have you seen all those mustang burnout crash videos online? The vehicle tries to do that in the winter time despite your efforts to drive properly.

I've had multiple vehicles with rear LDS and ALL were "spooky" once you got up to speed in any kind of inclement weather. Even going slow and having proper tires under I had more than one vehicle try to swap ends on me a few times. My Old Ford Ranger almost killed me once at 45MPH in a very light snow storm.

As always YMMV, and those not in areas of the world that get snow, your needs are different. Where I live, there can be snow from October through April, so, no LSD's for me.

Reactions: Rusty burbin

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Interesting. I have had that kind of stuff happen without LSDs in an S10 pickup and Jeep Cherokee as well, though. I would have attributed such behavior to the light rear end and RWD (and less-than-ideal tires, and perhaps driving too fast for the conditions heh). But yes, theoretically an LSD is more likely to cause both tires to break forward traction at the same time. Though, you must admit, in such a situation they were on the ragged edge anyways!

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

That is true as well. BUT... like I said all the vehicles I owned with LSD's were what I can only describe as "spooky" once you got up to speed with any kind of winter type precipitation on the road. The rear end was always light and would want to come around if you went too fast. The time the Ford Ranger tried to kill me, it went in to a "tank slapper" just as it started to snow and I was going just under 45mph and I did have good tires and 210 lbs of sand in the bed. So, the only thing to blame was the LSD causing both rear tires to lose traction and the rear wanting to pass the front.

Rusty burbin

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hesperia, CA 92345, USA
First Name
Jonah
Last Name
Gregg
Member #

So to sum up a little bit... if you're gonna install lockers go pony up the extra dough and get a selectable (when not in use you have the equivalent of an open diff) it's cheap insurance as compared to totalling your rig or worst case scenario loosing life or limb.

Unless ya like to live on the edge! [emoji6]

Rustyburbin from SoCal 5 kids, wife, dog and a 1970 K20 Suburban

Reactions: The other Sean