Enthusiast II

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Tripp
Last Name
Westbrook
Member #

Fisco checking in.

Looking forward to a trip to Big Bend between Christmas and New Years. Anyone have any trail recommendations?

Reactions: HeliSniper

Iridium

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert CO: Ft. Collins Area

Influencer III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Aleem
Last Name
Qureshi
Member #

Hey y'all,

I grew up in the Plano/Richardson area but currently live in Colorado. Will periodically be coming down to visit family and friends. Hopefully over the course our visits I'll get to meet y'all. I was wondering if y'all had any recommendations for Off-road trails in the DFW area

Cheers

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Hey y'all,

I grew up in the Plano/Richardson area but currently live in Colorado. Will periodically be coming down to visit family and friends. Hopefully over the course our visits I'll get to meet y'all. I was wondering if y'all had any recommendations for Off-road trails in the DFW area

Cheers
It's not like Co or the western US down here. There's basically no public land to wheel on. Your only legal options are mostly OHV parks. The closest ones to DFW are going to be Northwest OHV park in Bridgeport and Barnwell Mountain OHV park out in Gilmer.

Reactions: Iridium

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Fisco checking in.

Looking forward to a trip to Big Bend between Christmas and New Years. Anyone have any trail recommendations?
I assume you're probably down there already but the State Park is IMO better if you are into out of the way stuff. The national park is nice but the vast majority of the park is passable in a sedan. Black Gap is the only one that could use 4wd and is generally passable in a stock vehicle.

BlueTinCan

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Tripp
Last Name
Westbrook
Member #

I assume you're probably down there already but the State Park is IMO better if you are into out of the way stuff. The national park is nice but the vast majority of the park is passable in a sedan. Black Gap is the only one that could use 4wd and is generally passable in a stock vehicle.
Yeah, I was already down there. And I also now see what you mean. We didn't go into the State Park on this trip but will definitely make it a priority next time.
All that said, it was an amazing time with beautiful weather. Cheers.
GPTempDownload.jpeg

MOVE.OVERland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

US
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Kelley
Member #

Service Branch
Army vet
Greetings from Texarkana. My family and I are always exploring Arkansas national forests. If any of you plan on driving through Texarkana to go wheeling, hit me up.
IG @Move.overland

Attachments

TXpedition

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Waxahachie, TX, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Hillier
Member #

Fisco checking in.

Saw this too late to help, hope you had a great time.
I usually go that same week in the even years. I missed this year, but am now going in April. (more of a road trip with the wife)
I suggest the state park over the National Park due to there being actual unmaintained roads/trails out there, better camping and nicer rangers.

Reactions: BlueTinCan

DiscoWanderer

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Rosedale Avenue, Dallas, Texas 75205, United States
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Balding
Member #

Hey everyone! Bruce here just checkin in.

Rig is a 5th gen 4Runner.

New to overland bound, and just finished up a trip to the hill country.

Next trip is this June, heading out to Southwest CO.
Bruce, where did you go in the hill country?
Also, where are you headed in SW Colorado?
I'm headed to Gunnison through Santa Fe, Pagosa Springs and Lake City in July... would like to to get some advice on trails and camp spots if anyone has it!

TX_4runnin_murse

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Dallas, TX, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Hibler
Member #

I'm headed to Gunnison through Santa Fe, Pagosa Springs and Lake City in July... would like to to get some advice on trails and camp spots if anyone has it!
Went to Krause Springs the first night and Pedernales Falls State Park the rest of the time. Nothing trail wise other than hiking/camping with the wife.

Planning on hitting Durango, Silverton, Ouray, Telluride and Lake city. May hit Black Canyon of Gunninson? Still trying to figure out which way to go from Dallas. Started a threaded titled Dallas to Telluride and getting a lot of great feedback on there if you’re looking for suggestions/route planning tips.

Reactions: DiscoWanderer

Irish77

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Jacksboro, Jack County, Texas, United States
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Kelley
Member #

Went to Krause Springs the first night and Pedernales Falls State Park the rest of the time. Nothing trail wise other than hiking/camping with the wife.

Planning on hitting Durango, Silverton, Ouray, Telluride and Lake city. May hit Black Canyon of Gunninson? Still trying to figure out which way to go from Dallas. Started a threaded titled Dallas to Telluride and getting a lot of great feedback on there if you’re looking for suggestions/route planning tips.
Hey there I’m north west of you in Jack County TX. Our last trip to CO we went up 287 to  Amarillo then 385 to Dalhart TX over to Clayton NM then up to Trinidad CO then all over CO