louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
no need to worry about a definition...companies and their marketing dept. will define things for us. i am starting to see more items that are categorized as "overlanding" and sporting a larger price tag as a result.
much like the term "marine". a stainless screw at Lowes is 26 cents...the same screw at West Marine is $2.26

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
For my own sake, I regard Thor Heyerdahl's "Kon Tiki" trip and Tim Severin's "Brendan Voyage" as examples of overlanding. Those were epic journeys. That they crossed water instead of land does not matter to me. It is the same spirit. If anything, the word "overlanding" is what fails to encompass the concept.
Interesting; for me those trips are seafaring.
Anyway, to overcome the confusion and “debate” I’m now calling what we do on our big trips “landfaring”.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

no need to worry about a definition...companies and their marketing dept. will define things for us. i am starting to see more items that are categorized as "overlanding" and sporting a larger price tag as a result.
much like the term "marine". a stainless screw at Lowes is 26 cents...the same screw at West Marine is $2.26
The clouds part and the warming ransom the sun shine yet on another who has seen the truth. You will probably note that the popularity/craze of 'overlanding' goes hand-n-hand with the rise of hipsters and those insipid 'man buns'. Slap 'OVERLANDING' on anything and they will buy it.

If you think your 26¢ vs $2.26 is crazy, add 'Land Rover' to it.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

The clouds part and the warming ransom the sun shine yet on another who has seen the truth. You will probably note that the popularity/craze of 'overlanding' goes hand-n-hand with the rise of hipsters and those insipid 'man buns'. Slap 'OVERLANDING' on anything and they will buy it.

If you think your 26¢ vs $2.26 is crazy, add 'Land Rover' to it.
You ain't seen shit until you paint it black and call it tactical.