Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I know Michael’s definition and he said that he won’t define it any further. I guess I was just looking for a consensus that “overlanding” is at minimum defined as “traveling over land at a rate that would be difficult to be confused with car camping or just plain camping, period.” If I’m out of line I’ll be glad to shut up. I’m excited to join this “overland” community but the fact that I even have to put it in quotes means there’s not a community of like minded individuals that are able to agree on the very word that defines their group. This has been really good so far. Thank you everyone who contributed to my uneducated question.
Overlanding as a word is hard to define. It can and will be used to describe many different activities by each group. This group of overlanders belong to the organization of "Overland Bound". To me that means I'm going somewhere and everywhere and by whatever mode of transportation I choose including walking , if I'm able. Pioneers and nomads are different groups but both are overland bound in some form. Overlanding is whatever you consider it to be that takes you from one place to another and gives you joy, not what others think it is. Dont let others define it for you.
Welcome aboard.

Reactions: Chill and Lil Bear

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

Vehicle dependent travel.

done
Well... more like:

"Overlanding is self-reliant overland travel to remote destinations where the journey is the principal goal. Typically, but not exclusively, it is accomplished with mechanized off-road capable transport (from bicycles to trucks) where the principal form of lodging is camping, often lasting for extended lengths of time (months to years) and spanning international boundaries."

Many actually start the definition with: "Overlanding is self-reliant, vehicle dependant, overland travel..."

I do add "spanning multiple State boundaries and Territory boundaries" when it comes to North America.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chill

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Come out west and I'll take you on a 10 day, over land trip out here (notice the spelling). We will cross 3-4 states, remote camp and above all have fun doing it.
That's what it means to me.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
I believe overlanding means different things to different people as has obviously been stated. I also believe it means different things at different points in someones life

For me, at this point in my journey, it means leaving my home with my vehicle to trek to a destination, (at this point somewhere within my state) using as many off pavement routes as possible to get there and spending the night in a dispersed campsite away from others. It then includes immersing myself in the landscape, nature and culture of the area, usually for a weekend, To see or do something I have not yet seen or done. All along using my vehicle to get me to these places and then ultimately back home.

At some point I hope to expand that to be an extended month across multiple states and then an extended year across the continent.

Just like you find different people doing different things in a campground. From the family in a tent in a walk in site, to the people in the full hook up site with satellite tv and 40 feet of 5th wheel...they are all camping...just in their own way.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
there’s not a community of like minded individuals that are able to agree on the very word that defines their group
actually, that is a good thing! if this was a group that had defined boundaries that were already laid out and everyone had to agree to them and follow them specifically, then it would have definitely lost it's appeal a long time ago. a lot of folk on here are "like minded" to a point. you could also ask the same question "What is cooking?" most folk would agree they like to heat up food and eat it. then it would break down to cooking is ONLY a direct flame and cast iron and people arguing over whether a microwave is "cooking" and are you really camp cooking if you're not using a Spork, etc, etc...

we're ALL like minded to the point of knowing we like to eat and we like to get in our vehicles and go places....the best thing is how we help each other. you may be new to this forum, but you live in north carolina and automatically you already know a lot more about the state than i do. the wife and i had accidentally ventured into maggie valley a couple years ago and liked it and want to travel more in NC. now with you on here, i have another source of help and a better chance of finding out about cool places that may not be on a map. we may not agree on what to do once we get somewhere, BUT everyone on here will definitely help you get to where you want to go and that is where we shine as a community! :grinning:

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
It's definitely not "traveling and meeting new cultures"
If I want to see new cultures, all I need to do is drive up to San Francisco. Hipsters are so fun to tease.
If I take mostly dirt roads would that be considered Overlanding?

Reactions: MidOH

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
What's wrong with skunks and possums? They're as cool as can be in my area.

Racoons are trouble though. Detroit cheezeburgers need to stay in Detroit.

Reactions: Correus

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

What's wrong with skunks and possums? They're as cool as can be in my area.

Racoons are trouble though. Detroit cheezeburgers need to stay in Detroit.
They are big time pests here. Maybe I should of said "armadillos" - they don't really belong in Kansas but have been invading for the past 10+ years. THEY real are a pest in our area.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
How is an armadillo a pest? We used to catch them as Kids and roll them around the yard.

Skunks and possums keep my mice population in check. I'd love to have more of them, but they can't seem to figure out roads.

Old Tanker

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Norfolk, VA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Reimer
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
How is an armadillo a pest? We used to catch them as Kids and roll them around the yard.

Skunks and possums keep my mice population in check. I'd love to have more of them, but they can't seem to figure out roads.
They can dig tunnels under your yard and undermine the foundation of your house.

Reactions: Cypress and MidOH

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
That's a bummer. I'd give them a pass until they start doing that.

Reactions: Old Tanker

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Do a search, you'll find tons and tons of threads on this topic. The short version: Overlanding is what you want it to be, so neither you or your friend are wrong.

-TJ

Reactions: Chill