Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
I find the FJ really more capable than I use it for. It is not mainstream however. By that I mean, things I have considered like a drawer system are seemingly a bit off or not available like they are on the Taco or 4Runner or even the Land Cruiser. I have been told that the market is too small by more than one company. I wish I could get that system that Drifta builds in AUS. Power is adequate in the stock condition, but I worry about add ons adding to much weight for a daily driver without adding a supercharger. I could be wrong but I still think about it.
I have been able to add folding tables and way too much gear with the seats folded down. So far it is pretty decent. In the wind it is a big square box, Towing a trailer is little effort. Not near as comfortable and relaxing to drive as my Range Rover was, but not uncomfortable. Maintaining it is relatively cheap by comparison. A normal visit w/ the RR to the car doc was in the $700-$800 range, with the FJ it is usually well below $200 at the dealer.
Power is my biggest concern, I am currently sitting at 340hp/360lb of torque. I think the Fj depending on the year is a good 80hp below that. I worry that it will struggle with big tires and a load. I agree a supercharger may be a required add-on. Even at my current 340/360 I worry about big tires.

ColoradoRick

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Central Coast CA
Member #

Power is my biggest concern, I am currently sitting at 340hp/360lb of torque. I think the Fj depending on the year is a good 80hp below that. I worry that it will struggle with big tires and a load. I agree a supercharger may be a required add-on. Even at my current 340/360 I worry about big tires.
Yeah, I have had to remind myself many times, especially when I first got it that it is NOT a sports car. It moves fine though, but mine is stock. I merge into freeway speed traffic and hit cruise control at 70mph without a whimper. I dragged a Uhaul from CO to CA mostly at 75mph on CC and had zero power issues. Matter of fact it handled way better than I expected. Offroad, in 4wdl I crawled out a pit that I thought for sure was going to cost me a fortune in tow bills and it didn't even flinch, my wife was with my on that one so that was real pleasing. lol. SO, all that said I think that it is super capable. Not large but for one or two people on a tour.. I think it is completely adequate.

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

Fair point, to be honest, the few trips I have been on, I have not encountered a trail too narrow that some careful driving couldn't navigate. Always good to have someone that can be the sherpa, lol. I am in southern CA so these desert trails are usually wide enough, and traveled enough.

I did some research and found that the Taco and 4runner width, are within 4 inches of my F150, not sure how much of a noticeable difference that makes on the trail. If only have 4 inches of wiggle room, I am likely not going that route anyway, lol. I think the FJ does have the narrowest width at 75", I am at 79.9". That really makes this more about the length that trail width IMO. Which honestly surprises me they are so close.
So Im not sure where that 4 inch number comes from but it doesn't matter. Im not trying to convince you to buy a taco. That wasn't in your question. I was trying to give you my perspective on the difference between a full-size and an FJ. Apparently I should have told you Ive had numerous full-size trucks, and I would not want to do what I do in one, so I would personally go with the FJ.
However, my main point was that you have to go with what you like and what you think will work best for your adventure and your life.
From reading your posts it is obvious you really like the ford, and have mentioned some things about what you like about the fords ability in your life. There is no 1 perfect vehicle for everyone. With how much you like the ford, if you get anything else, you will have that brain worm talking to you, and imho you will be dissatisfied with the vehicle. Maybe the best course is to start with the ford, and if you become dissatisfied at least you will get it out of your system and will then be able to move on to something that fits your needs better. Or the ford may wind up being perfect for you. This is a personal decision on a personal level and nobody else can answer what will work best for you but you. .
Good luck and enjoy your journey.

Last edited:

TnK1

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Hollywood park, Tx
Member #

I'm running 35's on my fj and you will definitely have to regear but it doesn't lack power, except running at 75 on the hwy although I'm pretty sure the previous owner over geared it, so I'm to the point of really considering an super charger because I don't want to regear it

Reactions: ColoradoRick

ColoradoRick

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Central Coast CA
Member #

I'm running 35's on my fj and you will definitely have to regear but it doesn't lack power, except running at 75 on the hwy although I'm pretty sure the previous owner over geared it, so I'm to the point of really considering an super charger because I don't want to regear it
I think my stock TT is running 32's. I priced the SC and just the parts were cresting $5k, and I sure as hell wouldn't be installing that myself so who knows what the real cost would be, likely easily another $2500 on top of that.

TnK1

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Hollywood park, Tx
Member #

I think my stock TT is running 32's. I priced the SC and just the parts were cresting $5k, and I sure as hell wouldn't be installing that myself so who knows what the real cost would be, likely easily another $2500 on top of that.
Regearing kits for the fj are 3-4K, and I would do the super charger myself and with the bigger payoff and more gain. With the regear taking a lot of work as well it makes more sense for me personally, but it's not a mandatory mod it's just a nice to have

Reactions: ColoradoRick

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
With how much you like the ford, if you get anything else, you will have that brain worm talking to you, and imho you will be dissatisfied with the vehicle.
Good luck and enjoy your journey.
Not admitting this is likely why the decision is so difficult. I think you're right, that regardless of where I end up I should start with what I have and in this case what I know I like. I do truly enjoy my F150, everything about it is what I want in my daily and when I am not out adventuring. I enjoy being in it. I may end up like @Wyoming Overland and having to get a second vehicle down the road :grinning:

By the way, the 4" number came from my research, unrelated to your comment. It was just something I was looking at in that moment.

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
The FJ used isn't cheap, it's safely around 30k in my area. Adding another 5k for a SC, plus tires and suspension. It would rack up fairly quick.

TnK1

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Hollywood park, Tx
Member #

The FJ used isn't cheap, it's safely around 30k in my area. Adding another 5k for a SC, plus tires and suspension. It would rack up fairly quick.
It doesn't help that the price on them just jumped a little bit ago and some car dealers I know say they are going like hot cakes

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: FrankRoams

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

So that is something else I thought about. If you buy the FJ the depreciation is already gone. If you buy the FJ and you don't like it you can sell it in a year or 2 and you won't lose any money. If you buy the F150 and find out it isn't working out like you thought you're gonna lose your ass because the value of the Ford will drop like a rock as compared to the Toyota.

Reactions: TnK1

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
So that is something else I thought about. If you buy the FJ the depreciation is already gone. If you buy the FJ and you don't like it you can sell it in a year or 2 and you won't lose any money. If you buy the F150 and find out it isn't working out like you thought you're gonna lose your ass because the value of the Ford will drop like a rock as compared to the Toyota.
The F150 I have now so I am in the process of figuring that out. I won't pull the trigger there unless I am certain. I will say the F150 market here is not bad, especially for a 4x4. I will say the idea of being able to use/build then turn around and sell for even money or maybe even a slight profit, if I buy and build smart, is enticing.

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

I don't know trucks typically maintain a high retail value even used. As far as platform the F-150 would be more flexible that a more didicated FJ.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Reactions: FrankRoams

Kenslittle72

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Princeton, Moorpark
Member #

If the widths are that close I would keep the F-150, add enough lift to clear a true 35 with better shocks than you can afford, add sliders, add F/R lockers (front select-able) and gear accordingly. I have width problems way more often than I have length problems and even at my 160.5" WB. A big truck will go amazing places with some smarts and skill.

That being said I would much rather have a 4runner than a FJ if you were switching to sport ute.

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
If the widths are that close I would keep the F-150, add enough lift to clear a true 35 with better shocks than you can afford, add sliders, add F/R lockers (front select-able) and gear accordingly. I have width problems way more often than I have length problems and even at my 160.5" WB. A big truck will go amazing places with some smarts and skill.

That being said I would much rather have a 4runner than a FJ if you were switching to sport ute.
As it sits right now, 2016 F150 Super Crew with a 5.5' bed:
  • My wheelbase is 145"
  • Width 79.9" (w/out mirrors)
  • F&R Track width 67.6"
I mentioned the Taco and 4R widths above. Didn't check their track width, mostly because at the end of the day what you can squeeze through is what matters. You mention width is more of an issue for you, what do you drive, how wide is it, and where do you drive it?

EDIT: just saw your sig, are you driving the Ram 2500?

Kenslittle72

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Princeton, Moorpark
Member #

As it sits right now, 2016 F150 Super Crew with a 5.5' bed:
  • My wheelbase is 145"
  • Width 79.9" (w/out mirrors)
  • F&R Track width 67.6"
I mentioned the Taco and 4R widths above. Didn't check their track width, mostly because at the end of the day what you can squeeze through is what matters. You mention width is more of an issue for you, what do you drive, how wide is it, and where do you drive it?

EDIT: just saw your sig, are you driving the Ram 2500?
Yes, 08 Ram 2500 megacab. Per specs it is 84.6 with mirrors folded. It has been up Last Chance Canyon, up Rattlesnake Canyon, down Sherman Pass Trail, and up Indian Creek Trail among others. I drive it everywhere I can fit it and a few places I couldn't. 078.jpg P1050696 (2).JPG

Reactions: boss324

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
Yes, 08 Ram 2500 megacab. Per specs it is 84.6 with mirrors folded. It has been up Last Chance Canyon, up Rattlesnake Canyon, down Sherman Pass Trail, and up Indian Creek Trail among others. I drive it everywhere I can fit it and a few places I couldn't. View attachment 23602 View attachment 23603
That's awesome. Based on what you have in those pictures and the trails you mentioned, there isn't anything tougher (Last Chance being on of them) I'd be all that interested in doing. I really have no interest in rock crawling, I want to get to a place to camp and take in the scenery. Tougher roads sure, but not rock crawling or squeezing through trails meant for a jeeps or bike run. Thanks!

Reactions: boss324

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
I think I have arrived at a decision, If I don't keep my truck and possible even if I do. I plan o getting a used LC or LX470. Now comes the decision of best year to get... older with a locker or newer with 5speed and ATC?

Reactions: chrispartida

RockyMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
So what are your needs? Are you more needing of towing capacity and/or cargo space or nimble and agile? Because that is the heart of the question. I love my full size trucks and they are my platform of choice purely out of a need for towing capacity. But they certainly are not the best choice of narrow trails and tight switchbacks. But they do work very well as an open country vehicle.

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
So what are your needs? Are you more needing of towing capacity and/or cargo space or nimble and agile? Because that is the heart of the question. I love my full size trucks and they are my platform of choice purely out of a need for towing capacity. But they certainly are not the best choice of narrow trails and tight switchbacks. But they do work very well as an open country vehicle.
I am not towing. I do want to haul my gear without the need for a trailer. Hence my latest arrival. I am leaning towards keeping my truck and going for a much lower cost second/smaller vehicle for tighter trails or shorter runs. Longer trips I think nothing is going to top the payload of my truck except another bigger badder truck, lol.