Death Valley in late March/early April

• HTML tutorial

Sgt12XU

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sunnyvale, CA
Member #

Was thinking of starting from the south end in Ridgecrest instead of Big Pine up north. Thoughts on this route plan?

4/7/18 - Day 1 (Ridgecrest to Saline Warm Springs) - Fuel up at Ridgecrest & Panamint Gas
https://goo.gl/maps/bGCV1G9mCxn

Death Valley Day 1.jpg

4/8/19 - Day 2 (Saline Warms Springs to Mesquite Springs Campground) - NO FUEL, top off w/ Jerry cans
https://goo.gl/maps/C6mXdWyjo9o

Death Valley Day 2.jpg

4/9/18 - Day 3 (Mesquite Springs Campground to Emigrant Campground) - Fuel up at Furnace Creek & Stove Pipe Wells
https://goo.gl/maps/3Y96V4qSdWx

Death Valley Day 3.jpg

levelseventysix

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Oakland, California
Member #

@levelseventysix

Regardless, we all need to have extra gas cans...
@MEU(SOC) This is the only thing I'm not really equipped for at the moment and will probably need more time to figure out how to modify my jeep to accommodate extra gas cans. Which has me thinking I may not be ready for a big trip to DV just yet. At least not in a week's time.

Those plans for the three days do look like a lot of fun though!

Sgt12XU

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sunnyvale, CA
Member #

@MEU(SOC) This is the only thing I'm not really equipped for at the moment and will probably need more time to figure out how to modify my jeep to accommodate extra gas cans. Which has me thinking I may not be ready for a big trip to DV just yet. At least not in a week's time.

Those plans for the three days do look like a lot of fun though!
I'm sure you can figure something out. A few local places sell gas cans. I don't have a great gas can setup either, but that won't stop me from going. I'll figure something out.

Last edited:

Sgt12XU

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sunnyvale, CA
Member #

On day 3, instead up going back north to Stove Pipe Wells, we coud head west from the Ashford Mills ruins. That way, we could see the Warm Springs Camp, the Geoligist's cabin, the Mengel cabin, and Barker Ranch (Charles Manson hideout).

It would be the reverse direction of this video:

Sgt12XU

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sunnyvale, CA
Member #

Last edited:

levelseventysix

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Oakland, California
Member #

I'm going to have to take my name off the "maybe" list. The timing just isn't working out for me with prep and projects at work.

This definitely helped spur me on to to start gathering all the necessary stuff I need for one of these trips. And I'll be following this thread to see how things go.

punk

Rank 0

Traveler I

19 gallons might be a bit much but i have no clue how much your tank holds. mines a puny 15 gallons or so, and ill probably have that much in gas cans, 10 should do it but should doesn't cut it in the desert. ive started setting aside stuff for the trip, don't want to make everything last minute. this overlanding stuff is quite a bit more pricey then i remember doing my adventure touring stuff, but im also going to be dry, warm, comfy and can bring people with so it should be well worth it.

Sgt12XU

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sunnyvale, CA
Member #

@punk my Jeep has a 21 gal tank if I recall. I think I'm good on fuel. Might just go with the 14 gal gas caddy and leave the 5 gal Jerry can at home.

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

I'll not have my trip report done for a couple of days, but I just got back from DV and can give advice on road conditions and such. Just let me know what areas you want info on.

punk

Rank 0

Traveler I

I hate to say this but I fucked up on the days. I thought 7th-9th was fri-sat, and apologize as this kinda fucks everything up. I'll still be out there but fri-sat. Hate to realize this so last minute.

Sgt12XU

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sunnyvale, CA
Member #

Bummer, everybody bailed out. I'm still going, if I have to go alone. Not ideal, but I have this weekend book marked for a trip.

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

Bummer, everybody bailed out. I'm still going, if I have to go alone. Not ideal, but I have this weekend book marked for a trip.
Looking at your route, you will be find doing this solo. Lippincott will be the only moderately tough section and there where several vehicles that when over that pass the afternoon/morning that we camped south of the Race Track. So if something happened to your Jeep on that section, someone would come alone within a couple of hours. The Saline Valley roads are just harsh washboard (I did not travel the south portion to Lippincott, so only secondhand info on that). I also don't know what kind of road you will have from Ballarat to Badwater, but if it is anything like the upper portion of the West side road, it is again just washboards.

Other than the Oasis, Saline springs is just a dirt bowl. I'd not choose to camp there unless you want to soak in the springs and don't mind the naked people (guys and girls). On the camping subject, for your Day 2, I'd push on past the Mesquite campground and disperse camp in Echo Canyon.

Saline campsite

Echo Canyon

Reactions: Sgt12XU