Coyote Flats in a 2 x 4 4Runner?

• HTML tutorial

JUSTIN DELAND

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Want to plan a trip to Coyote Flats in Bishop at the end of June. I have a 2x4 2015 4runner with 285's and a 2.5" lift. Wanted some input if this trail is doable in my vehicle? From the research I've done, it looks like the majority of trails I've tackled thus far and have had no issues. I plan to go out there to camp and fish at Funnel Lake. unnamed (1).jpg

Ed B

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Riverside, Ca. 92506
Member #

I would research the snowpack, even for the end of June. The only area I would be concerned about not having 4 wheel drive would be right after the initial switchbacks when you begin the climb from the valley. Lower air pressure will help here. I do think it is doable though. I have not seen any reports of anyone being up there this year so don't know what the winter weather has done to the trail. Have done that trip a couple of times and enjoy it every time. I have had good luck fishing in the lake too.

JUSTIN DELAND

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

It's on my list of things to check before committing, especially after this record setting winter.

I appreciate the feed back. It looks like a beautiful place to drive some trails, camp and huck some flys.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

JUSTIN DELAND

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

I would research the snowpack, even for the end of June. The only area I would be concerned about not having 4 wheel drive would be right after the initial switchbacks when you begin the climb from the valley. Lower air pressure will help here. I do think it is doable though. I have not seen any reports of anyone being up there this year so don't know what the winter weather has done to the trail. Have done that trip a couple of times and enjoy it every time. I have had good luck fishing in the lake too.
It's on my list of things to check before committing, especially after this record setting winter.

I appreciate the feed back. It looks like a beautiful place to drive some trails, camp and huck some flys.

vonfogel

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Burbank, CA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Fogel
Member #

Coyote Creek (leading to Coyote Flats) is one of my very favorite trails. Here are a few shots from my drive there on Thanksgiving weekend (literally the day before this year's snowfall began!) Again, not sure what the conditions are like up there this year, but I think your rig should be fine with some driving skill and a little momentum. The creek crossing will probably be deep this year!
15171066_925323781686_5733551790993312508_n.jpg 15181687_925318711846_4131663116375338372_n.jpg

clmautz

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Auburn, AL, USA
First Name
Chip
Last Name
Mautz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4BLI
Does it have a locking rear diff? I used to go all sorts of places in my 2wd 318v8 Dodge Ram, mechanical locking rear diff, because my wife wouldn't let me take our pristine D1 Discovery... :-P

Even w/ the 'construction worker' tires, that thing was a mountain goat! You'd be surprised where it'll go w/ some good driving... and that rear diff.

I'm following too! :-P (I'm a jeep guy, though, so don't tell anyone)

Reactions: JUSTIN DELAND

JUSTIN DELAND

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

I'm also very interested in how you do. Maybe check out Youtube if you haven't already. Best of luck!
Youtube is my best friend when it comes to scoping out trails to judge if I can make it or not.

Been checking the hashtags on instagram too to see updated conditions, although those are few and far between for #coyoteflats ect.. There was one recent expedition that just went through there and seemed to run into snow, but they pinned it and made it.

If I can't find a 4x4 to come with and be the support vehicle, I'm going to delay the trip and run up to Prewitt Ridge in Big Sur.

Reactions: LostInSocal

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
Youtube is my best friend when it comes to scoping out trails to judge if I can make it or not.

Been checking the hashtags on instagram too to see updated conditions, although those are few and far between for #coyoteflats ect.. There was one recent expedition that just went through there and seemed to run into snow, but they pinned it and made it.

If I can't find a 4x4 to come with and be the support vehicle, I'm going to delay the trip and run up to Prewitt Ridge in Big Sur.
I do the same thing, youtube is awesome for that. Hope it clears out for ya, I see your just a few days away from your target date. I'll be following as well!

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

Hopefully you find someone to tag along with you. I've got a 4x4 but nothing at the moment in terms of recovery gear. Keep the post updated when you figure out a new date (if you have to delay). I'm right up the 57 from you in Chino Hills.

Reactions: JUSTIN DELAND

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

Just got back from Coyote Flat. I would not attempt it in a 2x4. At least not this year. There were some steep rocky sections which might not be passable for you. I was in 4X4 the whole time, and 4X4-low in several spots. To LostInSocal, 4X4 is really all you need. You shouldn't need recovery gear of any kind. But you should definitely have a flat tire repair kit, there are sharp rocks everywhere. There was no snow, nor muddy sections. Just a lot of rocks. My truck is fairly stock, no lift, and I'm running skinny 32's. I had no problems.

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

Just got back from Coyote Flat. I would not attempt it in a 2x4. At least not this year. There were some steep rocky sections which might not be passable for you. I was in 4X4 the whole time, and 4X4-low in several spots. To LostInSocal, 4X4 is really all you need. You shouldn't need recovery gear of any kind. But you should definitely have a flat tire repair kit, there are sharp rocks everywhere. There was no snow, nor muddy sections. Just a lot of rocks. My truck is fairly stock, no lift, and I'm running skinny 32's. I had no problems.
Thank you for the up date on the trail!

Are the rocks the type that will do side wall damage? Rock rips are usually not repairable, at least in my past experiences.

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

If you are careful, you should be fine. We didn't have any problems. Most of the sharp rocks are avoidable if you look out for them and go slow. There were a few areas where the sidewalls did catch some sharp rocks, but my tires held up (BFG KO2). The Eastern Sierras have a lot of sharp granite rocks, but if you have good tires, I think you will be okay. I was running about 20PSI, my father in law was running 25.

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

Thank you for the up date on the trail!

Are the rocks the type that will do side wall damage? Rock rips are usually not repairable, at least in my past experiences.
A lot of it depends on the tires you run. Outside magazine ran an article on Coyote Flat last year. They took a Jeep cute-ute with stock tires. It got a ton of flats but the 4Runner in the group didn't get any. For what it's worth, I had BFG KO2's and my father in law ran Falcon WildPeaks. I ran about 20 PSi and he ran about 30. We were both fine. But tires make a difference.