AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Long term a fridge is the way to go. Just remember the cost of the fridge isn't the only expense though. You will also need to upgrade your vehicle battery and invest in a solar setup if you do a lot of base camping.

I have a Canyon Cooler. It has worked well. Like all the others you need more ice than food in them to last the time periods the claim for ice retention.

As mentioned by others the RTIC Yeti knockoffs and Ozark trails seem to be pretty good.

I prefer a fridge but for big trips fridge is food only and cooler is beverages only.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@blackntan

If that's the dilemma for the fridge vs Cooler, get a marine grade fridge and buy 2 wiring kits one for your boat and one for the truck. then you only carry the unit between the 2 as needed. Not sure what boat you've got but if you can secure it on the mooring or slip then when you get tired of schlepping the fridge between you can buy a second :D

My dad, Brother and I did this with our tow controller. We seldom tow and have never needed for 2 of us to tow anything at the same time. So we bought the best tow controller we could afford and 3 wiring kits. Wired up all 3 trucks and just pass the controller around to who ever needs it. Same for lots of other tools and equipment.

Boort

Reactions: Graeman

The Nothing

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

pdx, or
First Name
Isaac
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BSB
Orion Coolers.
True to size (so, bigger than yeti). Holds ice longer in multiple tests. Multiple lashing points and better security features. 100% made in the USA.

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
I have a couple of Yetis and I have no complaints about them ... Any of the newer coolers in that style will serve you well, though - I bought mine several years ago. I would likely not have wound up with the first Yeti had the others been available back then. A couple of things to remember, though, for all of these coolers: Cooling them down (either filling them with ice or putting them in a walk in cooler) will dramatically increase how long they will keep ice. Also, once it's in the back of your rig, cover it up; don't let the sun hit it directly.

Reactions: Graeman and Boort

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Also, once it's in the back of your rig, cover it up; don't let the sun hit it directly.
I've found that covering the cooler with a light colored damp towel also keeps it cool. Not sure how well this would work in humid areas but in Colorado and surrounding dry states the towel works as an evaporative cooler keeping the sun off the box and air around the cooler a few degrees colder than ambient temp. It can become muddy if there is too much dust on the trails though.

Boort

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Yeti All the way for me. I use dry ice, on extended trips. I try to open it as little as possible. This just takes some meal planning. I use close cell foam pads, retired sleeping pads, to help reduce air exchange. I open it once a day, move the days provisions to a smaller Cooler. I can keep stuff frozen for at least a week this way.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Their are lots of good coolers, that function as good as a Yeti (as a Cooler). The reason I like the Yeti, is that's it's also Bear proof container. Many coolers only have the center lock. The Yeti has locks on both ends, to prevent Bears from peeling back the lid. Other coolers may be just as good, but most are not certified.

SC_4Runner

Rank 0

Contributor II

When I did a lot of beach fishing, we would bury our coolers and keep some shade over them. Made a huge difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PMG

Rank 0

Traveler I

Chicago
Orion Coolers.
True to size (so, bigger than yeti). Holds ice longer in multiple tests. Multiple lashing points and better security features. 100% made in the USA.
There's a 25% off discount going on right now due to Tundras.com group buy. Code is "Tundras" I believe, check the forum mentioned if it doesn't go through. Great deal imo.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Reactions: The Nothing

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
image.jpeg. Thought id be clever thinking many people have been opening and closing these as they have been on display for a couple of months and i notised a few marks on some , so i waded throught the display looking for the. Best one if there is such a thing lol well next to the pile of sportsman range was other igloo models yes you have guessed it the lot came tumbeling down making a lot of noise. :flushed::flushed:And me stood there red faced :rage: Got my unmarked cooler but left a few with new scratches maybe futher reduction ahead !!! :flushed::flushed:

odingrey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Pelican 45qt wheeled cooler. First time taking it out, ice was melting about as quickly as my buddy's Coleman. I wasn't thrilled. I emailed Pelican, told them the issue and they mailed out a new gasket. Once I installed that, the ice holds for about 9 days now. Pretty good product! I'd still love a fridge though...

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

I bought an Igloo Sportsman before heading out west. I found it to be a great cooler. It held ice 3-4 days while in 100 degree sunshine. Rugged and well made. It cost less than $200. Very pleased, Just wish it had a "Not Yeti" sticker.

Reactions: GABEHERNANDEZ

Jeff Swain

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Springfield, Missouri
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Swain
Member #

There are lots of nice coolers out there. I ended up buying a couple grizzly coolers. I bought a 40 qt for camping and the 20 qt for the kayak. They currently offer the grizzly coolers with the jeep logo on the lid and they are less expensive than a yeti. Also have lifetime warranty and made in USA.

cooler1.jpg

Red Beard

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Mexia, Texas
Member #

I have a Yeti I got as a safety award at work and an RTIC that I bought . The RTIC is just as good of a cooler as the twice the price Yeti.

RootedWanderers

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Pelham, Alabama 35124
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

I've got several friends that use the Ozark Trails coolers and seen allot of reviews that show them lasting as long as the Yeti in all their tests... They appear to be the best bang for buck, especially if this is going to be an intermediate step to a fridge. Most of the stores have them in stock too.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-73-Quart-High-Performance-Cooler-Grey/49229408
So I went and picked up a 26qt Ozark Trails cooler because that was the only size the WalMart kept in stock and have used it a few times now. So far it's worked great. I used it the 4th and then just left drinks in it all week. The 4th it was outside in direct sunlight all day and was gone in and out of many times. I finally emptied it at 5 days. I paid 93 dollars for it. This will work well till I get around to buying a fridge.