Cooler Suggestions

• HTML tutorial

overlandozzy

Rank 0

Traveler I

Im not in the market for an ARB Fridge yet so I'm rolling with a coleman cooler and its time to get a roto-molded one. My coleman just doesnt hold ice how it should anymore. Who do I go with? Yeti, Grizzly, Engel, Magelan? Looking at 65-85 quart capacity for multiple day trips. Lets hear what everyone has to say!

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

I'm a loyal Yeti customer. I've been using a 65q for 3 years now and couldn't be happier. I use three 4lb Yeti Ice on the bottom and a couple of bags of ice and easily get 5-7 days out of it.

Reactions: SC_4Runner

Silverback07

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central Texas
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Braden
Member #

I have a Pelican 45qt and a 20qt. They are not as pretty as the Yeti but I love the construction of them, latches are bombproof. That being said I also have an ARB fridge to keep sandwiches from getting soggy.

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
I have a Yeti 65 also. It's been a great investment so far. I branded my name in the lid though.
Otterbox is coming out with a new cooler that looks real nice also.

Jade Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneola, FL
After looking around and reading a lot of reviews like this one https://expeditionportal.com/the-big-chill-overland-journals-cooler-test/ I chose a Canyon Cooler. I used it all last year, taking a few extended road trips and a lot of days on the beach. It worked as described and at that time I was happy as a clam, but this year decided to purchase a fridge. It's night and day. Not having to look for ic when you're on the road is nice...not having all of your food wet is nice, being able to set your temperature and keep some stuff frozen and some cold is amazing.

I don't remember what I paid for the cooler, maybe $300ish, and if I was purchasing another cooler, I'd buy that one all over again. It performs exactly like my buddies Yeti, at a much better price. With that said, I should have just put that money into a fridge. The Dometic 50 I bought is some of the best money I've spent on the Cruiser.

Reactions: Graeman

DuvalRover

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jacksonville , Florida
Member #

I have 2 grizzly's (20and40), use them daily for work. I like them alot and they hold ice for days. I know quite a few other people that also own them and are just as happy.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

If your willing to shell out the money for a Yeti you should really consider a 12v Fridge. I'd much rather have an IndelB fridge than any high end cooler. A 50 quart can be had for $600 or less. Just my .02

http://www.equipt1.com/item/travel-box-51L-fridge-or-freezer

For times where a cooler is needed I picked a "Rtic". Yeti knock off for half the price.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@overlandozzy

Im not in the market for an ARB Fridge yet so I'm rolling with a coleman cooler and its time to get a roto-molded one. My coleman just doesnt hold ice how it should anymore. Who do I go with? Yeti, Grizzly, Engel, Magelan? Looking at 65-85 quart capacity for multiple day trips. Lets hear what everyone has to say!
If you have a Costco or Sams Club near you check out the Igloo sportsman 70 for ~$200. I'm just back from 5 days in SW Utah Cooler was mostly in the truck for the trip and both of the 1.5Gal Water bottles still had ice in them as well as a few of the 16oz water bottles. No Ice refill, Just froze the water bottles and put the pre cooled/frozen food in the cooler all staied cold for my trip.

This cooler was rated about the same for ice retention as the Yeti 65 in one of the reviews that I read or saw and was less than 1/2 the cost. A plus is that if it does not meet your standards take it back to the Warehouse club and tell them for a refund.

Boort

ChefboyRD

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Manassas,Va
Member #

I've got a yeti, there good, but ritic are the same and cheaper but you got to wait for them when ordering.
We got ours as soon as the USPS could get them here. The delay took place a while ago, they are different now however due to the copyright infringement with Yeti.

JWOOD

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Richmond, VA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Wood
Member #

I'm in the market for a cooler as well and as much as I love to buy a yeti I just can't bring myself to dropping that much coin for a cooler. The indel b fridge is a much easier pill to swallow if I'm going to spend that much money.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I have a Yeti Tundra 75, a block of ice and two bags brings the storage space down to 50 qts, I've been using it for 4 years and couldn't be happier. It is mounted in the nose of our trailer, and the drain cock is plumbed to the exterior. Even regularly draining the water out, ( we use that water to wash our dinner wear with etc etc) we still have a small hunk of ice after 5 days..

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Well ive wasted hours of my life watching every vid on the comparison beetween yetis and iggloos. And every other. Cooler there is and AM STILL NONE THE WISER

Reactions: Graeman and JWOOD

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Did you watch the one and read the article I linked? That should have given you a good idea.
Ive spen theaftenoon reading and viewing its between the yeti and the igloo sports man. Or a fridge. The yeti is not that availible to me snd would be a intenet buy i cam get the igloo Local and or arb or ironman fridge Think ill go for the igloo only because costo have a great return policy Prob change my mind by the morning

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
If your willing to shell out the money for a Yeti you should really consider a 12v Fridge. I'd much rather have an IndelB fridge than any high end cooler. A 50 quart can be had for $600 or less. Just my .02

http://www.equipt1.com/item/travel-box-51L-fridge-or-freezer

For times where a cooler is needed I picked a "Rtic". Yeti knock off for half the price.
I completely agree with this statement. Your looking at $400 to get into a Yeti 65. You will, over the life of the cooler spend several hundred dollars for ice.

For $500 I bought a Whynter 65 12v/115v coller/freezer. I have had it plugged in for 3 solid months now with no issues. No soggy food, no ice stops, no problems.

ChefboyRD

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Manassas,Va
Member #

This reminds me of a MasterCard One commercial parody that wasn't fit for television a few years back. You will know if you saw it....

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
I completely agree with this statement. Your looking at $400 to get into a Yeti 65. You will, over the life of the cooler spend several hundred dollars for ice.

For $500 I bought a Whynter 65 12v/115v coller/freezer. I have had it plugged in for 3 solid months now with no issues. No soggy food, no ice stops, no problems.
Yeh but i want to use it for boats as well as truck thats my delem