Cooler Suggestions

• HTML tutorial

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

There are lots of nice coolers out there. I ended up buying a couple grizzly coolers. I bought a 40 qt for camping and the 20 qt for the kayak. They currently offer the grizzly coolers with the jeep logo on the lid and they are less expensive than a yeti. Also have lifetime warranty and made in USA.

View attachment 29186
Hey Jeff - So cool - I really like that! Thanks for sharing. Do you happen to have the link to this specific cooler? Thanks man!

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

Your welcome. I am really happy with the coolers I have got from them. Very well built.
Yes they do and I really like the look. I currently have a 20 qt RTIC which I've been happy with, but I think I'd like 40 qt and I'm all about the olive drab color and jeep debossed lid! Thinking I may get me one for both my Jeeps! Thanks again man!

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

Yes they do and I really like the look. I currently have a 20 qt RTIC which I've been happy with, but I think I'd like 40 qt and I'm all about the olive drab color and jeep debossed lid! Thinking I may get me one for both my Jeeps! Thanks again man!
:laughing:
The minute I saw the pic of that cooler, I just knew you were going to be all over it Jake.

Randy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakley, CA
Member #

All this talk about these new fancy (expensive) coolers!

I just got over a week out my my old-fashioned Coleman metal sided cooler:
https://www.coleman.com/54-quart-coleman-stainless-steel-cooler/6155B707.html?cgid=coleman-coolersandwaterjugs-hardcoolers

The cooler sat in the back of my truck for the drive up to the mountains, through 105 degrees on Saturday. Then it sat outside at camp under the trees for a week, with temperatures in the 80's all week. It was a "wilderness" camp- no ice resupplies. The cooler was opened several times a day to obtain cold sodas and replace with warm cans to be chilled. Next Saturday it went back in the bed of my truck again through 100 degrees. On Sunday at home, when I finally unloaded it, it still had ice cold drinks!! The ice was "slush" with plenty to still keep it cold!

If you see my pics on the Corral Hollow Trail thread, you'll see this cooler in the back of my truck- and the boys drinking ice cold sodas at the overlook. This was on Saturday, the 7th day of our trip.

"How is this possible?" you say.

I used a combination of "Dry Ice" and regular ice. One block of dry ice on the bottom, covered with cube ice. Then the drinks/food etc.. go on top. If you want frozen food, put the food/ice in first, then the dry ice on top. You could keep ice cream frozen this way.

Caution: Play with the ratios of dry ice to regular ice to fit your climate and cooling demands. The first time I tried this, I got frozen eggs.

Oh, and I never drained off the melted ice water. Ice water is still "icy," and if you drain it off unnecessarily- you lose all the coldness! Only drain water when adding ice, and/or the water threatens to spoil non-waterproof food.

Reactions: Graeman and Boort

Doug C

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jasper, Georgia, USA
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Camara
Member #

I like RTIC. https://www.rticcoolers.com/ . Similar to a YETI. I know Ozark Trail now makes a version as well that are available at Walmart. I still just use a Coleman and it works well for me. If I was to replace it I'd probably get an RTIC. We have one of their cups and it works well at keeping drinks cold or hot.

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

T4RZAKK

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Worth Tx
Member #

Reactions: Jeff Swain

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

Since this is the cooler thread... I like to pack my meat, cheese, and eggs in their own cooler. I freeze the meat and place multiple ice packs around it so everything is cold but dry. I'm currently using a Coleman 8 quart, simply because that's what I had on hand, but I would like to upgrade to something that will stay cold longer. I don't really need any more room inside, but additional insulation and a better-sealing lid would be awesome. Anyone know of anything in that size range?