Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Great video, except, it’s not FCC, facts... I posted exactly what the fcc referred to me when I asked the question to them. And this is in regards to HTs not mobile rigs.
The other guys are right. Strictly speaking a non Part 95E radio isn't legal to use on GMRS, this is why Ham Radio Outlet will not do a MARS/CAP mod to a radio without proof you belong to one of those organizations. But if you are even remotely handy most can be either software modded or have an internal wire snipped or a resistor removed. However, the FCC has very little manpower and no one on the other end is going to be able to tell what kind of radio you are using. The FCC isn't hiding in the bushes.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Hey All,

I am relatively new to communication equipment. I used to have CB in my last vehicle but never really used it much because most of my buddies use handheld radios for trail comms. I am looking at adding permanent comms to my new rig and was curious if there was something that would be usable to tune into those handheld frequencies and be usable when in larger groups that use other forms of comms as I am planning on attending some larger group trips. Please don't say cell phone because there is never coverage (which is exactly why I like getting away). Thank you for the help!

Pic of first trip with the new rig.
There's nothing saying you are restricted to one radio. With today's compact radios you can easily install each radio you need. I run HAM/GMRS, and CB as well as a small APRS setup.

Leojake

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Lang
Member #

Hello,
I've been a member for a little while but just now starting to use the forum. I own a 08 Tacoma double cab. At this point am just getting into overlanding etc. I am looking for a very basic way to communicate between rigs/hiking trails to other people in my group who most likely will no have any license for anything other than walkie talkies. So I am looing for a good set of walkie talkies that are at least quality despite their basic use. I am looking into Midland GXT or Xtalker for starters. Also my other question is: I know some midland are GRMS radios. If it is GRMS, and i get my license for that, can I still communicate with people who are not licensed only on FRS channels? Thanks for the help.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hello,
I've been a member for a little while but just now starting to use the forum. I own a 08 Tacoma double cab. At this point am just getting into overlanding etc. I am looking for a very basic way to communicate between rigs/hiking trails to other people in my group who most likely will no have any license for anything other than walkie talkies. So I am looing for a good set of walkie talkies that are at least quality despite their basic use. I am looking into Midland GXT or Xtalker for starters. Also my other question is: I know some midland are GRMS radios. If it is GRMS, and i get my license for that, can I still communicate with people who are not licensed only on FRS channels? Thanks for the help.
So if you get a GRMS radio and get the license yes you can still talk to the FRS guys... this actually works quite well. Personally I don’t like walkie-talkies for vehicle to vehicle coms. I prefer a mounted radio, especially while off the pavement. Walkie-talkies are great for spotter to rig coms though.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Hello,
Yes as long as they are using FRS radios they're legal and if you have a GMRS license you're good to talk them on your GMRS radio. Agree with the above post. Invest in a mobile radio. It's worth it not to have to jack with recharging or batteries alone.

2xAGM114

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Study up and get your ham license you will be so glad you did.. opens up lots of doors for different communication and aprs. I like the yaesu ftm 400.
Shack. Just did the same. Total investment three weeks including online testing and associated noise. Since then I'm into SOTA Summits on the Air which is a blast. Already did one 'overwater' kayak camping and one overland route solo with 2 meter Ham radio.

Because its more regulated than CB or the FRS crowd, it seems to weed out a lot of the redneck, backwoods people on some of the other bands. Yaesu FT-60 here.

Reactions: TerryD