Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
The great thing about Coleman is they are completely rebuildable! Do a little google based on the model number of your stoves. Typically two things go bad on these, the pump or the generator. If you can pump up the fuel tank and it builds pressure then the pump is good. If the thing coughs and sputters trying to light then replace the generator all with simple hand tools.

When I bought my stove it ran rough but instead of replacing the generator, I mixed Chevron Techron fuel treatment in with the fuel and ran about a 1/4 tank through it and it straightened it right up. It just builds up like a regular carburetor. Unless the end is damaged in some way I wouldn't think it would be a wear item. A new cap gasket and valve packing and it was back in business.

Last edited:

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I thought I'd add to this and bump it up for other addicts. The sickness is growing, I'm up to 7 lanterns and 4 stoves, and looking to aquire 3-5 more lanterns this weekend.... :anguished:

I'm working on a late 50's KampLite that probably won't do much camping, but will get run around the house with my 59 228E. I'm also looking to get a couple 200's and convert one to kerosene just to play with.

Reactions: Drifterman

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

Collectors typically dismiss the propane stuff. I don't use it, but I have a couple lanterns and a stove as "give aways" should I come across someone needing them.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Collectors typically dismiss the propane stuff. I don't use it, but I have a couple lanterns and a stove as "give aways" should I come across someone needing them.
What lanterns? I've got a 512 heater I've given up on getting running that I'm trying to get rid of. The tank is beautiful but I think it needs a new wick.

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

There's a trick to those. Fill it up with Coleman fuel, turn it upside down until you can see a wet spot on the wick (usually 6-8 seconds), turn right side up, and light. It will flame up 2-3 feet, so be prepared. If you can see the wet spot but it doesn't want to light, you can dump a little Coleman fuel on top as well.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
There's a trick to those. Fill it up with Coleman fuel, turn it upside down until you can see a wet spot on the wick (usually 6-8 seconds), turn right side up, and light. It will flame up 2-3 feet, so be prepared. If you can see the wet spot but it doesn't want to light, you can dump a little Coleman fuel on top as well.
I've done that repeatedly, burnt the catalyst with denatured alchol inside and out, trimmed the gunky end off the wick, even heated the catalyst with a propane torch just as the preheat flames died down to try to get the reaction started and nothing has worked.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Keep in touch. I'll bring you another one next time I'm passing through. I just need to burn them and see which one stinks. One of them had gas used in it and smells like car exhaust when it runs.
Give me a shout if you get up this way! We usually hit the OBX for a week in July each year with my family. I'll get up with you when we head down next year and we can grab a beer or something.

Yes! I love my Sportster stove, and have finally purchased a matching 285 dual mantle lantern, 1990s model. Hoping to get her burning this weekend. Will return with photos
Looking forward to it!

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

Give me a shout if you get up this way! We usually hit the OBX for a week in July each year with my family. I'll get up with you when we head down next year and we can grab a beer or something.
I pass through your way when we go camping around Harrisonburg. I don't know if I'll get back out there this year or not. We'll see what the weather does.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I met a guy here in Placerville CA that has this sickness, he is obsessed. But one thing for sure I got an education in everything Colman

Reactions: TerryD

k9sar

Local Expert, Georgia USA

Enthusiast III

Rydal, GA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4EKF
Oldcolemanparts.com sells just about everything, however, almost anything that can be considered a wear item is still available through Coleman. Sometimes you have to lay some games figuring out new models that use say, a 30 year old burner design, but almost everything is out there.

You can find a lot of Coleman replacement parts at Walmart as well.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Stamped August 1999, 285-700t

Need a carry case terribly, the old box is mouldy and soft.

Will pick up a couple of mantles tomorrow and light her up as she arrived without, pumped and lit ok though

My beater is a 288a, the non-dualfuel version of that. I did read the other day that some of the 285s were designed to run on E10 gas as well as regular unleaded. You can do a kerosene conversion on that family of lantern pretty easy it seems. Just swap on a 288 genny as they are slightly undersized for the two mantle lanterns and add a preheater cup.

I just stuck my 288 in my truck box last night that I'm going to start carrying. Outs got my hammock, hammock shelter, 400 Coleman stove, pillow and a few odds and ends for an impromptu adventure.

20171123_130448.jpg

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I love the old stuff, but the Northstar lanterns are really nice. They run Coleman fuel and gasoline out of the box. Add a pre-heat cup and they run kerosene as well. That's what I carry to camp with. I joke that it's my most expensive but least valuable lantern. Since it's only a couple years old, it wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit if it got smashed to pieces. The piezo igniter is great to have though. Pump it up, cut on the fuel, and let it click a time or two. You'll have light in no time! Some of the guys have even rigged up the ingiter to light off the alcohol in the pre-heat cup. I didn't go that far with mine, but I see where it's possible.