Coffee Set Ups

• HTML tutorial

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
Coffee is the third most important beverage for mankind on virtually every metric. It's impacted international relations and touched the lives in some way of every human being on the planet. Kind of neat when you think about it.

For those who say the percolator just unavoidably makes bad coffee: Not so. There is a trick to it though and it requires time and attention.

The key think is to never let the coffee boil. There's a sweet spot of heat where the coffee will percolate up the tube and over the grinds without actually boiling. If the water is too hot, it'll release a ton of acrid flavours into the brew and mess it up. For a time my wife and I used our stainless percolator at home each day. Trouble is, outdoors it requires a constant attention to the pot to control the heat.

My method is based on the fact that a JK with two adults and two dogs means space and more importantly payload weight is an issue; this is even more true on the motorbike.

I have GSI's all in one cookset thing, it comes with a titanium pot, a silicon pot grabber, a lid, a collapsible spork, and a neoprene sleeve to turn the pot into a cup. It is also designed so that an MSR/Jetboil fuel can nests inside. And, it's the exact size in terms of diameter as the jetboil.

So I use the jetboil French press kit and whatever grounds I like. My whole mess kit, save for the pocket rocket stove, nests into one package than is slightly larger than a beer can.

That leaves plenty of room in my panniers for the number 1 and 2 most important liquids - - Whiskey and water! ;)

You can also buy DIY teabags, designed for loose tea leaves, at places like David's Tea. A handful takes up nearly no room and there's very little cleanup or grinds. Steep the coffee in hot water till it's as strong as you like and you are done.

Sent from my BBA100-1 using Tapatalk

Vincent Keith

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Poulsbo, Washington, United States
First Name
Vince
Last Name
Binder
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kg7cli
That thing is sweet. I prefer to grind prior if I can. This may be the solution but damn that thing is expensive. Anyone use one of the old wooden coffee bean grinders? Those can be found cheap.
They work if you're not too picky about consistency most of the inexpensive hand grinders suffer from inconsistent grind and the shafts tend to loosen up until they just don't work. On the other hand, you can probably buy several of the less expensive ones like JavaPresse Coffee Grinder - I think it's under $30.

Reactions: kickkem

nudavinci64

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

San Mateo, CA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Shopshear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HAM: KM6LUN GMRS: WRJN599
They work if you're not too picky about consistency most of the inexpensive hand grinders suffer from inconsistent grind and the shafts tend to loosen up until they just don't work. On the other hand, you can probably buy several of the less expensive ones like JavaPresse Coffee Grinder - I think it's under $30.
good point. Quality over quantity for me. Most people never realize the grinder costs just as much if not more than the coffee maker/espresso maker.

Christian Schrader

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

San Clemente, CA
Member #

Good ole' GSI Ultralight Java drip filter for me.
Java Drip

I use this in camp, and in the house. It makes a great cup of coffee, super easy to clean/transport/use/etc. I will usually pregrind my coffee or make sure to buy something pre-ground. Fire the jet boil up and bam you have a nice morning treat in a few minutes. I throw that in a little Yeti 10oz tumbler and I am sipping on piping hot coffee all morning long.

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I've been using the GSI Outdoors Javapress. But I find that after a while, the coffee becomes too strong as the coffee grounds sit at the base of the mug. Cleaning the grounds from the base of the mug can be a pain too. For that reason, and thanks to some suggestions here, I ordered a simple pour over coffee dripper that can use #2 filters to keep cleanup quick and easy, and hopefully better tasting coffee.

Christian Schrader

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

San Clemente, CA
Member #

Alot of fancy stuff here..... I tried a French press but it's just one more thing I have to clean so I'm sticking to instant coffee....

Sent from my SM-G930T using OB Talk mobile app
Yea I hate the French press we have at home. I had the Jetboil one and it was the WORST thing ever. Instant is great too I just enjoy the process in the AM I guess haha.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: kickkem and dziner

nelsoncycles

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor I

Columbus, OH
Member #

I bring a GSI hand grinder and a GSI french Press. The coffee is amazing and I don't have to remember to do anything except keep it clean. Whole beans last a lot longer than pre ground coffee so I keep a 12oz bag in my trucks kit. I am ready at all times to make a great cup.

Christian Schrader

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

San Clemente, CA
Member #

I bring a GSI hand grinder and a GSI french Press. The coffee is amazing and I don't have to remember to do anything except keep it clean. Whole beans last a lot longer than pre ground coffee so I keep a 12oz bag in my trucks kit. I am ready at all times to make a great cup.
Good call on the hand grinder! Going to have to add one of those to the kit!

DaveL

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Yorba Linda, CA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Lowrance
Member #

Good call on the hand grinder! Going to have to add one of those to the kit!

I love having the grinder. Takes a bit of time but I just chill while doing looking at the beautiful surroundings. But I only have to do one cup since my wife's not a coffee drinker. Just nothing like fresh ground!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
So I tried the Foldgers instant coffee this last weekend and it wasn't completely unlike coffee. I think I'll double the packs up next time, the second cup with the second pack was better but still not good.

Reactions: kickkem and Sparky

Veritablehatter

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Boston, MA
Member #

I don't even feel guilty about bringing starbucks instant packets with me anymore. It actually tastes not terrible. Also they're super lightweight. I keep a stash in my kit for emergencies after the yakbutter tea incident.

When I have access to actual coffee grounds I have a little french press insulated coffee mug that I stick in my pack with me.

Christian Schrader

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

San Clemente, CA
Member #

So I tried the Foldgers instant coffee this last weekend and it wasn't completely unlike coffee. I think I'll double the packs up next time, the second cup with the second pack was better but still not good.
I usually double up when I use those instant packs as well. Does the job!

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Christian Schrader

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

San Clemente, CA
Member #

I don't even feel guilty about bringing starbucks instant packets with me anymore. It actually tastes not terrible. Also they're super lightweight. I keep a stash in my kit for emergencies after the yakbutter tea incident.

When I have access to actual coffee grounds I have a little french press insulated coffee mug that I stick in my pack with me.
Go to for backpacking trips! [emoji1362]

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

The wife like the VIA. For me, I do the Aeropress. Depending on the availability of space and how much work I'm looking to do, I'll bring fresh beans and a hand grinder or I'll grind the beans ahead of the trip. On solo trips after work Fridays, I sometimes will snag a bag of the Seattle's Best coffee ground on my way out...good for about 3 cups! Sticking it to the man one bag at a time. LOL

Mouflon

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

I found that making my favorite cold brew concentrate before the trip works best and ensures me quality brew everyday on the trail. The cold brew method makes an outstanding Joe and you end up with a single jar of concentrate that I dilute in the morning with heated water 1:3. I keep the concentrate in the ARB fridge. Dead simple and space efficient.