Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I'll have to look for one of the silicone pour-over funnel things around here; that sounds like a good solution. There are some on Amazon for less than $10. I've carried my lexan press or skipped coffee when backpacking, but tea just doesn't have enough caffeine. Don't know how people survive on small amounts/no caffeine.
I know right? Coffee makes everything better.

The one I saw looked identical to this:

I'm buying one if I see it again at the dollar store. I should have bought it last time. Ah well.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

This setup goes with me everywhere. It is the simplest and best way I have found to make great coffee:
1st picture is of my Maxpedition bag that contains my Jetboil and all needed components along with my GSI Silicone Pour Over Filter BasketView attachment 79526
Next is how I contain my coffee as well as salt and pepper for those rehydrated mealsView attachment 79527
And then there are the filters for the GSI Silicone Filter BasketView attachment 79528
And last but not least is all setup and ready to make coffee with my Dutch Brothers HydroFlask. View attachment 79529 If I want to use the French Press method with the Jetboil alone I also have the Jetboil plunger, however, that way is much more messy.

After playing around with the recipe you can get very consistent results.
I love those little legs for the butane stove! Dang, I wish I had a set of those years ago!

Reactions: Reid Adventures

Stickbow

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Georgia, USA
Member #

I know right? Coffee makes everything better.

The one I saw looked identical to this:

I'm buying one if I see it again at the dollar store. I should have bought it last time. Ah well.
I'd order one now (since it's free shipping) rather than look for it if I was going to be home when it got here. Hopefully I'll be lost somewhere in Tate's Hell state forest by Dec 27.....

Edited to add -- and I wish I'd had those little butane cannister feet 20 years ago...or even now.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I'd order one now (since it's free shipping) rather than look for it if I was going to be home when it got here. Hopefully I'll be lost somewhere in Tate's Hell state forest by Dec 27.....

Edited to add -- and I wish I'd had those little butane cannister feet 20 years ago...or even now.
I live in Canada, so I get my Amazon stuff shipped to my wife's aunt's place in Washington, so it's not really worth it for me to order it, and I don't exactly "need it." I'm reasonably confident the dollar store will have them again when they bring back the camping stuff in spring. We shall see.

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

I used a GSI stainless perc for a number of years as there are two of us drinking and I needed the capacity. A couple years ago I switched to the Stanley Mountain Vacuum coffee system that includes the pot, press and a thermos as a stacking kit. This is not small or light (I started with the large and now have the small as well) but it makes good coffee, keeps it hot and is very easy to clean for a press. You can use the thermos and pot for other things as well.

One caveat it has some plastic in the pot handle so no using over fire-stove is the ticket here. Also it looks like the large has been discontinued.

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

I got bored this morning while trying to keep warm, keep from peeing, and make coffee so here is my tutorial.

Gather your press, coffee, and cup. Put the water on to boil. Put coffee in press then pour boiling water. Lid on, plunger up for 5 minutes. After 5 push it down and pour. Simple and tasty.

Make toast while you wait five for a tasty treat. KIMG1964.JPGKIMG1969.JPGKIMG1971.JPGKIMG1972.JPGKIMG1974.JPGKIMG1975.JPGKIMG1973.JPG

DividedSky

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

USA
Member #

:tearsofjoy:
Good tutorial. I personally recommend stirring the grounds after pouring the kettle so as to ensure a strong brew.
Agreed. Ideal French press method is to slightly agitate the grounds when they go in to remove the CO2 that can gas off and prevent full saturation of the grounds.
I’ve used French press exclus for 15 years. Unfortunately I only discover the best way to use one recently though.
Good instructions:
https://driftaway.coffee/frenchpress/?amp

Stickbow

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Georgia, USA
Member #

:tearsofjoy:

Agreed. Ideal French press method is to slightly agitate the grounds when they go in to remove the CO2 that can gas off and prevent full saturation of the grounds.
I’ve used French press exclus for 15 years. Unfortunately I only discover the best way to use one recently though.
Good instructions:
https://driftaway.coffee/frenchpress/?amp

I used to hate using a french press - I could never get it right, so it either came out too weak or too strong. A friend (who works for a fair trade importer) said it was how I was doing it - dumping in what I thought was a normal amount, pouring the water over, waiting a while.

He said google it, and I found basically these same instructions. It's more finicky in some ways, but in others not a problem.

I don't like 'coffee maker' coffee all that much (but most days coffee's coffee, and a must...have...NOW...there better be some brewed when I get there), and percolators always seem to take for frickin' ever, so french presses or pour over always seem like a better option.

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

I found the video a while back from Peet's coffee-I have used this daily since and think it works very well. I take coffee to work every day that I brew the night before and store in a Stanley Master Series bottle (another really nice but heavy piece of kit). They have videos for all kinds of brewing if you are interested.

Full disclosure I don't weigh the beans-it is 5 scoops and 7 minutes total including a 30 second cool down once my kettle begins to boil. The big change for me was no longer stirring the pot but using the plunger.

https://www.peets.com/learn/how-to-brew-french-pressI

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

erock

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

I usually just get the Starbucks VIAs and add some boiled water. It is sweet, high in calories, and not nearly bitter enough for me - but it gets the job done. If I stay out longer, I just use my french press with some pre-coarse grounds.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I've seen those Moka things at thrift stores a bunch of times. I thought they were just tiny percolators. Didn't realize they make Espresso.

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

Adding to my original post I am just looking back through and it really stands out to me that there is no perfect set up and the responses vary wildly primarily depending on the volume of coffee being made. As mentioned earlier I used a perc and now the Stanley press but that is assuming I am camping with the wife/family and need the capacity. When I am solo on my motorcycle (been a while on that) but that was usually a jar of Nescafe or some such-not my favorite by any means but it did the job. I don't think I would go that way these days as the instant seems to be a much stronger diuretic than brewed coffee and the Aeropress would likely be my go to for the motorcycle these days.