Launch Member

Pathfinder II

São Paulo, Brazil
First Name
Gustavo
Last Name
Amaral
Member #

Simplicity rules the day. For a couple of decades I insisted upon using my 16 cup stainless percolator at home and at camp. That got old fast as it was a major pita to clean, and to pack, not necessarily in that order. My daughter turned me on to French pressed coffee 4 years ago and I have since dumped the percolator and have a 8 cup press at home, a Stanley 16 oz french press for the basecamp, and an MSR 5 oz portable press for back packing.
Oh! I've just bougth my Stanley 16oz french press! 15 minutes before I saw your post… I'm ansious to see how does it works!

Reactions: MOAK

Steve in Roanoke VA

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Roanoke VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Janosko
Member #

I've got an REI 32oz French Press. I've tried smaller setups but I always end up needing to brew multiple batches to get my fix, plus this is double-walled, so it stays hot forever.
YES! I got the same thing last year and it's fantastic. Keeps it hot for hours. was using a smaller Bodum glass french press but it felt a bit fragile for camping, plus the coffee would not stay hot for long, particularly on cold days.
Sometimes still use a 4 cup percolator on the stove as well. Never go out without waterproof fire starter, and COFFEE!

Steve in Roanoke VA

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Roanoke VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Janosko
Member #

Call me crazy, but for me Organic beans seem to be less acidic - (especialy smaller batch not big store name brand beans), no matter if the roast is dark or light. What do you guys think?

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

smaller Bodum glass french press
I managed about 3 trips with one of those before I broke it. Also, I've started leaving my big french press at home... I've been trying to streamline my gear a tiny bit (mostly so I can buy other, bigger things), and I've switched to Starbucks Via packets. It's not as good as french press, but it's way easier and more compact, and it's actually quite a bit better than I expected.

Steve in Roanoke VA

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Roanoke VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Janosko
Member #

I managed about 3 trips with one of those before I broke it. Also, I've started leaving my big french press at home... I've been trying to streamline my gear a tiny bit (mostly so I can buy other, bigger things), and I've switched to Starbucks Via packets. It's not as good as french press, but it's way easier and more compact, and it's actually quite a bit better than I expected.
Haven't tried the Via out, will give it a go.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Call me crazy, but for me Organic beans seem to be less acidic - (especialy smaller batch not big store name brand beans), no matter if the roast is dark or light. What do you guys think?
I'm not big into organic anything as there is no standardization for the use of the label. Coming from a family farm I was raised on organic food and didn't even know it. However, I do purchase top shelf coffee, just as I do top shelf liquor. Cheap coffee equals lots of oils and acids, cheap booze equals headaches and hangovers. My coffee always tastes rich, bold and smooth, and I haven't had a hangover is decades.

Reactions: Minjin

rustyhardwood

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Antrim, New Hampshire, United States
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Ferreira
Member #

I use all of the methods.

Via when I'm lazy.
Pourover, Sweet Maria Smart Dripper. Very good pourver method, lets you steep it for a few minutes before dripping.
Pourover, MSR coffee strainer. Very good and quick and easy for small cups. Does get grit in the coffee.
(I use a chemex at home, best drip system hands down)
French press: JetBoil, easy and quick and nice to have a dedicated stove/coffee maker for overlanding.
French press: Stanley MVCS, best all around.

This summer we settled on the Stanley Mountain Vacuum Coffee System. It is nice to use the pot to portion the water and boil it. The french press makes a nice easy pot of coffee. Then the vacuum bottle keeps it warm while we nurse it all morning. I get up earlier than my wife, so this way I don't have to make another fresh cup for her.

Here's a video review I did of the Stanley system:
I also tried Kuju disposable pour over. It's good, but not fast and not enough coffee:
-M
Hmmm i like that system , ill have to look into that.

Reactions: Daniel Shupp

mdub

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Bellingham, WA, USA
Member #

GSI French press with a little Hario hand crank coffee grinder for me. I've gone through a couple different coffee setups over the years, and I'm pretty happy with this one.

FozNasty

Rank 0

Contributor I

Central Texas
Member #

I've recently fallen in love with this easy cold brew set up, super cheap and it tastes great, just set it up the evening before. Just buy the mesh thing around $14 I believe on Amazon, and already have the mason jars. I always rotate so I always have a jar ready.
Best part is I only use 2 1/2 tbsp or up to 1/4 cup depending on my coffee to fill this mason jar! I don't need any fuel, my coffee tastes better too. I save on fuel, coffee, and taste.

Jhop567

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Sagle, Idaho
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Hopkins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRFL231
Service Branch
LEO
Cold brewed is my choice. I brew up a Mason jar and refrigerate. Smooth and a lot less acid. Just mix it 50/50 and microwave or add hot water.

Reactions: FozNasty

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
In attempts to get our setup to a multi-use state, we have gone through a couple new options for coffee setup. We were using a percolator and it wasn't bad, however the quality being produced wasn't up to snuff as we're sort of coffee snobs (shrugs). So we went back to our tried and true french press, however, being glass it's not desired for camping. So we picked up a Stanley french press and camp cook pot combo. It honestly produces a better cup than the original press as it doesn't let much in the way of coffee grounds through the filter.

Reactions: Jenks

KPMetrics

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Vermont
Member #

I just got a GSI Coffee Rocket pour over. Weighs 2 ounces, stores in my mug, and tests so far produce a very good cup of coffee.

Jenks

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Elizabeth City, NC
Member #

In attempts to get our setup to a multi-use state, we have gone through a couple new options for coffee setup. We were using a percolator and it wasn't bad, however the quality being produced wasn't up to snuff as we're sort of coffee snobs (shrugs). So we went back to our tried and true french press, however, being glass it's not desired for camping. So we picked up a Stanley french press and camp cook pot combo. It honestly produces a better cup than the original press as it doesn't let much in the way of coffee grounds through the filter.
I recently started using the Stanley Press as well and love the fact that I can boil water and make coffee all in the same container. Then if I want to make tea or soup I can boil it all in the same container. No need to bring a kettle just to boil water. My only dislike about the Stanley press is sometimes the filter likes to get wedged and comes off the press at the bottom. It’s great that it fills two travel mugs perfectly.
1490BF24-9643-43C3-84D0-278871073177.jpeg

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I recently started using the Stanley Press as well and love the fact that I can boil water and make coffee all in the same container. Then if I want to make tea or soup I can boil it all in the same container. No need to bring a kettle just to boil water. My only dislike about the Stanley press is sometimes the filter likes to get wedged and comes off the press at the bottom. It’s great that it fills two travel mugs perfectly.
View attachment 97116
I've yet to experience your issue, however it seems to be minor. I only wish there was a metal lid to use solely for cooking/ boiling water.