Helena, MT
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Leak
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Coffee pots are like cast iron to me. A good seasoned pot is key, so I drag my coffee pot I use at the cabin with me. I make my coffee over a woodstove 9 months of the year, and my pot has a nice patina on the inside of residue. I never wash it, for it ruins the taste.

Fill the pot with spring water, bring to a rolling boil and remove from heat. Add two fistfuls of home roasted and ground beans, let sit and get happy. Then a quick splash of spring water and nary a ground. Strong Smooth and black. A quick swish of water in the pot and let it dry, no wiping or washing. View attachment 31244[/QUOTE

I used to make coffee that way in the Army, but 10 gallons at a time.

Reactions: britz

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

For the discussion about getting the grounds to drop in a pot of boiling water... put a splash of cold water in the pot and the grounds will settle. No need to swing it around, lol.

Reactions: AZ WANDERING BEAR

Enthusiast III

Phoenix, AZ
For cowboy coffee don't put the grinds in until the water cools off the boiling point. Boiling water releases a lot of the acid in the coffee making it bitter. Lesson learned the hard way. While I currently use a Stanley press for overlanding, with a larger group I go back to cowboy coffee with a 2 liter titanium Mors pot (or 2 or 3) surrounded by a cozy after the water is heated. Let the coffee mixture set for 10 minutes, a bit of cold water on top if the grounds haven't settled, and pour gently. The cozy will keep the rest of the pot warm for a while, getting stronger all the time.

Reactions: Winterpeg

jeepwillikers

Rank I

Traveler I

Im planning on taking an aeropress, a Hario V60 (plastic), and a grinder, scale, and kettle along with some great whole bean coffee, on my camping trip next week. All said and done everything should only weigh a few pounds and should fit into a large ammo can. I'll be using my jet boil with the gooseneck pour over kettle for hot water, so in less than 10 minutes I should be able to make 2 cups of coffee that any barista would approve of.
If anyone wants to get real ambitious you should try roasting some green coffee beans in cast iron over an open fire! It's a lot of work but I'm sure it would be fulfilling! It's a shame I'm not that ambitious

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Northernlady

Rank V
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Karen
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

I spent my childhood waking up to the sound of the percolator on the stove! That being said I don't drink coffee and so I don't have a coffee maker of any sort...but I do miss waking up to the percolator :)

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
image.jpeg Well after trying to order a snowpeak with no success ive just aqired a PETROMAX PERCULATOR experimenting begins !!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 64Trvlr

rlhydn

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Have tried a GSI Expresso maker, was ok but leaky and a lot of effort for an expresso. Toured with a double walled steel french press and ground coffee several times but hated how much water was needed to clean it up, great for filling the Kanteen for the drive ahead though.
Toured with coffee bags, meh the taste is boring but tolerable, and good coffee bags impossible find outside of the city.
I always keep my screw-on GSI H2JO and Klean Kanteen in the LandCruiser with a bag of ground coffee, tastes as good as french pressed.

For my birthday I received a Handpresso Auto 12v Expresso machine, can take ESE pods or ground coffee, cant wait to try it out, looks like luxury, through the used paper pods in the fire.

Last edited:
Reactions: dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

Jet boil and via coffee packets for us. I like having a cup ready in a couple minutes while I'm getting breakfast started and nothing to clean up. It also works well when in a hurry in the morning and not breaking out the kitchen for breakfast. I found the mtm survivor plastic box fits the jetboil flash and a pack of the via packets perfectly so we can have our coffee situation separate from the other gear and easily accessible

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Schmack

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Virginia
Member #

I have a little french press kit that a coffee cup nests inside. Enough room inside that for fresh ground beans for a weekend. It's plenty now that the girlfriend has switched to decaf :blush:

lightcatchr

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Orange County, CA
Member #

Starbucks VIA and bottled drinks. I always have at least two Starbucks bottles in my fridge, and fallback on VIA when I'm out of bottles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rlhydn

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Tested out the Handpresso Auto today, cleanup included wiping steam off the lid and throwing away a paper filter containing the grounds. Oh and wiping out the coffee cups after. Wow! Coffee was insanely good. 16bar of pressure gives a mean expresso. Takes probably a minute per cup?

Attachments

Sparky

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Jose, California
Member #

I just read through all of this, lots of great insight.

I'm in the Starbucks Via or pourover group. If it's a hard morning I'll start with via because it's just so fast, I'll be halfway through with a cup before some of my friends are done grinding their beans. With more time I'll do a pourover.

I grew up with pourover, we never called it that and I still find it funny calling it that, it was just how we made coffee and I still preference it to other brewing methods today. Espresso is a different world for me though and I will snob out on that. I've found French press just too messy and time consuming for me, but I see the value for larger groups.

It's funny, I still use the cheap plastic pourover holders my mom gave me when I left for college 13 years ago. I tried a porcelain one a couple years back but unless you preheat the filter holder I find it takes too much heat away from the brew.

A friend of mine brought one of those beehive gooseneck water kettles camping once and I swear it took 15-minutes to boil, I think the thin stainless steel walls made for a very inefficient heat transfer. He was using a Coleman 2-burner.

I'll have to try the aeropress some of you mentioned, maybe do a taste test to see how it fairs. Oh And I found these recently, they look a little flimsy but I may give them a shot.. could be a good space saver.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01IBXADOK/ref=pd_aw_sim_79_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=1BKQMVD2GJDWJBV62RSJ&dpPl=1&dpID=61ygYQu2xDL

Remington_PRO4X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Verona, WI
Member #

Coffee is one of the most important parts of the day. If we are trying to be light we stick with instant (Yuck), but if we have a sight we go with one of 2 options. The first is a Bodum Pour Over with a metal filter and the second is a classic percolator. Nothing like a traditional cup from a traditional method!

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Sparky

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Jose, California
Member #

Coffee is one of the most important parts of the day. If we are trying to be light we stick with instant (Yuck), but if we have a sight we go with one of 2 options. The first is a Bodum Pour Over with a metal filter and the second is a classic percolator. Nothing like a traditional cup from a traditional method!
I'd never heard of bodum before. Just ran a search and see that they make a double-walled bpa free poly carafe, that makes a lot of sense to me!

Edit: Cancel that, the filter part is bpa free plastic, the carafe is still glass.

Remington_PRO4X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Verona, WI
Member #

I'd never heard of bodum before. Just ran a search and see that they make a double-walled bpa free poly carafe, that makes a lot of sense to me!

Edit: Cancel that, the filter part is bpa free plastic, the carafe is still glass.
We are always pretty nervous bringing the glass carafe, but the coffee is sooooo good.

Reactions: Sparky