Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Well after much experimentation ive found what ive been trying to achieve for years cowboy coffee lol always was jelous of the campfies burning with a coffee pot bubbeling away well This petromax makes nice coffee

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Remington_PRO4X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Verona, WI
Member #

Well after much experimentation ive found what ive been trying to achieve for years cowboy coffee lol always was jelous of the campfies burning with a coffee pot bubbeling away well This petromax makes nice coffee
I have been wanting to attempt cowboy coffee! I am curios if it's good or I am just romaticising the idea!

Sparky

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Jose, California
Member #

If you do, let me know how it is and how you do it!
I already did haha. I boiled about 25 fl oz of water and added 1.5 tablespoons of coffee grounds. Boiled two minutes, let it settle two minutes, and used dribbled some cold water over the top which did a remarkable job of settling the grounds.

It was a very smooth cup of coffee, the mouthfeel was like a fine french press and it had a pronounced sweetness. It did however have the distinctive flavor of being overbrewed/oxidized. It made my nice beans taste like foldgers (nothing against foldgers). I know this is entirely personal but it won't be replacing my pourover. I would consider it better than your standard mr. Coffee percolator though, so if making coffee for a group I see value in this method. That's where I peg it at least, try it and let me know what you think, we all have different tastes.

Reactions: Remington_PRO4X

Rorschach

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Huntington Beach, CA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Niederhauser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ULA
I spent my childhood waking up to the sound of the percolator on the stove! That being said I don't drink coffee and so I don't have a coffee maker of any sort...but I do miss waking up to the percolator :)
This is my situation as well. I do drink hot chocolate though. I have a metal tea pot that I throw on the stove or grill for hot water. Any coffee drinkers are welcome to hot water when they get up and join me.

Sent from my LGLS991 using OB Talk mobile app

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
image.jpeg ]
I have been wanting to attempt cowboy coffee! I am curios if it's good or I am just romaticising the idea!
Rem. I romanced the idea and as the u2 song goes think ive found what am looking for PETROMAX , sure,y the usa has the real deal kit. This looks the part and does the job the coffee is gritty lol but thats what i wanted been experimenting in doors. Fire next

Remington_PRO4X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Verona, WI
Member #

I already did haha. I boiled about 25 fl oz of water and added 1.5 tablespoons of coffee grounds. Boiled two minutes, let it settle two minutes, and used dribbled some cold water over the top which did a remarkable job of settling the grounds.

It was a very smooth cup of coffee, the mouthfeel was like a fine french press and it had a pronounced sweetness. It did however have the distinctive flavor of being overbrewed/oxidized. It made my nice beans taste like foldgers (nothing against foldgers). I know this is entirely personal but it won't be replacing my pourover. I would consider it better than your standard mr. Coffee percolator though, so if making coffee for a group I see value in this method. That's where I peg it at least, try it and let me know what you think, we all have different tastes.
Perfect! Did you use a standard pot? I have to give this a try!

Remington_PRO4X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Verona, WI
Member #

IMG_0060.JPG
View attachment 36533 ]
Rem. I romanced the idea and as the u2 song goes think ive found what am looking for PETROMAX , sure,y the usa has the real deal kit. This looks the part and does the job the coffee is gritty lol but thats what i wanted been experimenting in doors. Fire next
The Petromax! This is the percolator I have. Same thing as my Grandma used her whole life. Does. The petro have a basket inside to hold the coffee? Did you take all of that out and just have the pot?

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Perfect! Did you use a standard pot? I have to give this a try!
. The pot come with the standard perc filter in side To be truthfull me coffee making skills were down to instant boil water and drink , I bought a small coffee machine in the summer but after watching various vids on the tube of perculaters on camp fires I got the petro and the differance in taste is amazing , aint had the time to try it on fire yet but its rated for open fires or stoves
Never thought something so simple could give so much taste. All i need now is A horse and and cattle drive !!!!!

CAISOB Taco

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cocoa, FL
Member #

I've been using an AeroPress at home, at work, and at camp, with a JetBoil to get the water going when camping (and when I didn't have power after Hurricane Irma). I press into an RTIC 10oz tumbler to keep it nice and toasty from the first sip to the last.

Reactions: Sparky

Matt Hixson

Rank V

Member I

Big Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hixson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FZJ
Starting a cold morning with a hot cup of coffee is one of the things I enjoy most while camping. What are your favorite ways to make that perfect cup? What gear do you use to make it and what types of cups or travel mugs have you found work the best? What brands/blends of coffee are your favorite and how do you store it?
I enjoy the simplicity of Starbucks Via instant coffee. French roast is my favorite. You just tear open the single serving and dump it into a cup of hot water. This works well for backpacking and overlanding, but I don't like all the trash it creates. I also have a single-shot GSI espresso maker that I like. I don't backpack with it, but if I bring it in the truck then I also carry my coffee in a re-used Illy coffee container. Illy is great coffee, but I rarely buy it because of its price.
I also have an Aeropress coffee maker, but I have only used it at home. Not sure I'd like managing all of its parts.
My mug of choice is just a plain steel mug with no frills.

How do you do it?

Six Actual

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Benicia, CA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Wickett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA6XM
I've tried a few variations over the years... One of them was the starbuck via packs. I really liked the simplicity of dumping the pack into a cup and you're set. After a while, I moved on to the Aeropress. I basically have a coffee kit now and store it all in an ammo can. Pack it with whole beans (Philz Coffee), grinder, Aeropress. The grinder is Porlex Jp-30 and it fits right the Aeropress tube. Pour my brew into a double walled mug. Life is good. I still keep a few Via packs in the kit just in case.

BTW.. grew up in Anacortes way back when. Back then, going to Mt. Vernon was like going to the big city.

Reactions: Matt Hixson

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

Jet boil, Starbucks via, ultra pasteurized half and half packs, yeti cup. Decent, quick, and little to clean up.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

When camping I use a press. I don't remeber what mine is got it as a gift probably 13yrs ago. Been using it eversince. Used to use a percolator but the press works great for me. It will make 2 cups and fill my tumbler and off i go. As for my coffee i keep it in an old small i think it was foldgers lol container

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app

kobra

Rank 0

Traveler I

I actually just had a friend give me his coffee advice for camping. Two options:

1. aeropress and hand grinder or pre-ground beans
2. nalgene with a 6-10 shots of espresso that he later mixes with hot water to basically make americano's

I've been using a french press but it takes a lot of water to clean up.

pl626

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

McLean, VA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Chen
Member #

I go back to the old camp percolator over the fire. This was how I was introduced to coffee & camping as a kid. Decades later, it’s still my preferred camp coffee method, though the beans have improved dramatically. I use a med ground Colombian, usually starsux. To me, it’s not camping, if there isn’t coffee grounds in the bottom of the mug, kinda like with a French press, but no glass to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk