Coffee Set Ups

• HTML tutorial

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I use a Coleman single burner stove and Folgers instant. In this instance, I prefer quantity and convenience over quality. I'm no coffee snob though. I don't drink much better when I'm at home.

Reactions: kickkem

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I do a lot of bikepacking, so whatever I bring needs to be lightweight and takes up as little room as possible. I love my GSI Java Drip. clips right on to my SnowPeak 450ml cup. I boil the water and coffee grounds in a stainless steel cooking pot and strain it through the Java Drip. It works well and clean up is a breeze. I have considered an Aeropress, but I'll stick with my Java Drip for now.

DMill556

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Dawsonville, Ga
Member #

I've been using my Coleman Camping Coffee Maker. It's big and it's slow and has a glass carafe, but it makes good coffee.

Chad
I bought one of these because I heard good things about it, but every time I use it there's a bad taste to the coffee, I've washed and cleaned it several times but right out of the box it brewed bad tasting coffee. I even brewed different kinds of coffee but they all had the same taste to them. It's like a burnt plastic taste it's kind of hard to describe. And for the record I'm not picky with my coffee.

Don Meredith

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Greenville, SC
Member #

Coffee is nearly a religion to me. :)

Start with good beans - freshly roasted & ground.

I heat water with my GSI kettle. I love the kettle but wish the lid snapped into place. On solo trips, I use my Snowpeak french press. On family trips, I use the larger GSI french press. The Snowpeak double wall H300 mug is a great size and keeps coffee hot even without a lid.

coffee.JPG

buckwilk

Rank IV

Advocate II

yuma, az
I use a french press at home. I like the idea of the Snow Peak f.p. but the base looks small. I like that you can heat the water in the press itself without having to use a boiler but I wonder how well it fits on a burner.

Bueller

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vernon, BC
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Buell
Member #

Well, I love my Nespresso and I was going to bring my nespresso inissia along on our trip

And plug it into the console outlet in my JKU.

But saw this while in a Ucluelet coffee shop, and decided to grab it. I've only done one cup of coffee at home so far. It was pretty damn good.

And some great Rhino coffee beans from Tofino!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

W4P

Rank III

Advocate II

Sudbury
Yeah, maine guide trick that's been passed and refined through subsequent guides. It's a trick to impress the sports and get bigger tips lol. (oh crap we lost the coffee filters when we unloaded the boat...but wait we have eggs still. ;)
The rotate a pail of coffee in circle to implement physics and push coffee grinds to bottom is a great show but one in three disaster odds requires no cameras allowed and Starbucks via backup!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

kennedyma

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

Love my Areopress! I also use the Stanley French Press for making larger pots when camping with friends.
Don I agree starting with good freshly roasted beans makes all the difference! I am thankful we have a very good local roaster where I live. www.fgroast.com they do ship if you want to check them out.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

T

The Raven

The rotate a pail of coffee in circle to implement physics and push coffee grinds to bottom is a great show but one in three disaster odds requires no cameras allowed and Starbucks via backup!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
make sure the handle is solid ;)

Louie559

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Long Island, Ny
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Rom
Member #

i know this is a little out in left field, but was wondering what everyone uses to make coffee out at camp? i usually use a coffee percolator on a small propane stove but i am curious if there are other ways
thanks in advance

Reactions: 64Trvlr and kickkem

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I like my coffee quick and decent so I keep a jet boil and Starbucks via instant packets in a $10 mtn survivor plastic box in my truck at all times. Quick and good would be a jet boil and a French press or pour over, but decent works, and no clean up is key for me. It is crazy how fast you can make a cup of coffee and put everything away this way. I do like good coffee, but I don't like spending the time messing with it. I bought the jet boil on a whim and have been surprised how essential it has become to my kit.

Merk

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Renton, WA
Member #

Hot coffee - I use a French press or Aero press. But this summer I've just been drinking cold brew. I usually throw a growler full in the cooler, and it'll last me for days

Irving Zisman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Yucaipa, CA
Member #

If I am doing coffee while camping, then it has to be a percolator over the campfire. Normally though, its a Monster energy on ice in the morning. Monster generally helps soothe that hangover better than coffee.

Reactions: Edward Gentle

sleak

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Helena, MT
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Leak
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Great thread. I love coffeve, hate french presses.
Home: Miele cup-at-a-time monster (we got a deal on a floor model); German beans.
Normal travel (hotel): small water kettle; snow peak #2 filter basket; German ground coffee. (snow peak mug) (sometimes German instant)
Work: electric Bialetti; Italian grounds (espresso)
Camping: usually Jetboil and the pourover; planning on trying Cowboy (boiled) coffee soon (it reminds me of Army coffee).

I have a Mr Coffee camp-stovetop perc as shown in some photos; we keep it for home no-power emergencies.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk