First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
All technique, not pot or stove.
I agree the tough part is getting some stoves to go to a low simmer. I did a clean out on my Coleman stove so it is a little better now but I also use a steel plate to get a more uniform simmer...

Dave K

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Tracy California, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
K
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6PXJ
got it for $15.99 from these guys. walmart seldom gets beat in price, but i always double check

That’s what 12oz of “premium” coffee typically costs. And ya know what? Sometimes, I am plenty happy to pay it. There really is some great coffee out there these days.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
got it for $15.99 from these guys. walmart seldom gets beat in price, but i always double check

I buy it from the guy who delivers it to the store near my house. Forgot what I pay but I dont care it's fresh and always good.

I agree the tough part is getting some stoves to go to a low simmer. I did a clean out on my Coleman stove so it is a little better now but I also use a steel plate to get a more uniform simmer...
My method has been to set the pot only half way on the burner

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
I buy it from the guy who delivers it to the store near my house. Forgot what I pay but I dont care it's fresh and always good.

My method has been to set the pot only half way on the burner
I did the same before but, after cleaning the valves out it is a little easier to adjust the burner down lower now.

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
I do the same with my welding tip cleaner.
I don't think we are talking about the same thing... I am referring to cleaning the factory grease out of the gas flow valve. They use a really thick nasty grease in there. You need to remove the valve from the front of the stove and clean it off.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I don't think we are talking about the same thing... I am referring to cleaning the factory grease out of the gas flow valve. They use a really thick nasty grease in there. You need to remove the valve from the front of the stove and clean it off.
Yeah, I was talking about the little holes in the burner itself. They get clogged and wont allow adjustment of the flame. I wasn't aware of a valve except the air adjustment valve to adjust the flames heat.(blue flame is hottest)

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
Yeah, I was talking about the little holes in the burner itself. They get clogged and wont allow adjustment of the flame. I wasn't aware of a valve except the air adjustment valve to adjust the flames heat.(blue flame is hottest)
If you have a Coleman look up cleaning the valves it really did help out. Just to test it I cleaned one and compared the two I am not sure I would call it a huge difference but it was worth my time.

Motoboss

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Martinsville, Indiana, USA
Member #

I'd die if I had to wait 30 minutes. Secret, Farmer Brothers coffee, the same used by restaurants is hard to beat. Not sold in stores but can obtained directly from company.
Meh, 30 minutes is not a big deal for me. I put it on and it'll take actually about 20 minutes to perk, 30 was including grinding, set up and all.

Reactions: CTO1Mike

dr_r2r

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chicago

Attachments

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

When its just me, instant coffee is fine. Still better than Army coffee.

When the fam is with me I use an Aluminum Coleman. 3/4 full and stick it right in the coals until it boils, then back it off so it percolates, when the eggs are done the coffee is too. That's how gramps did it.

Reactions: EXPO_D1

Tupenny

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

Longwood, Florida
First Name
Boulder
Last Name
Dash
Member #

No one is using a pour-over system? I have a couple tops (one silicone, one ceramic) , fits over all types of mugs.

I have a small hand crank grinder for the beans, dump them in the filter and pour over the boiling water from the jet boil. Super easy, great flavor and oil extraction.1be4ef45-77b8-4bac-a116-8bca8639cfe4.jpeg478x640_ac.jpeg

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
No one is using a pour-over system? I have a couple tops (one silicone, one ceramic) , fits over all types of mugs.

I have a small hand crank grinder for the beans, dump them in the filter and pour over the boiling water from the jet boil. Super easy, great flavor and oil extraction.View attachment 120217View attachment 120218
would you say it tastes as good as using a french press?