Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I grew up with these camping essentials. They still work just fine for me. K. I. S. S. View attachment 119483
Chalk me up also with the same setup. :laughing: Many years ago, I did the conversion from 'white gas' over to a propane system on my Coleman stove. I got tired of pumping the tank, while standing there freezing. I wanted coffee/hot chocolate quick . Those little "PERK" coffee makers are great if it's just you.

The 'KISS' principal is a good rule of thumb.

I recently pulled a old electric WESTINGHOUSE peculator out of the garage to compare with the MR COFFEE unit on the counter. I'm still evaluating between the 2. Nostalgia does have it's place.:sunglasses:

Last edited:

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I'm no coffee expert, but I have tried all kinds of ways to make it out in the wild and for the longest time, I preferred a percolator. More recently, though, I've found it easiest just to pack some Nescafe or Taster's Choice instant coffee. I just boil water, stir it in, and I'm gtg.
I've been using the Folger's coffee bags for years. Picked some up for backpacking to start. Can't beat it for space savings and the flavor is tolerably good. I have Keurigs, french presses, peculators, you name it. I like my coffee and the coffee bags are hard to beat and so convenient for camping. A little pricey per cup compared to other methods but when you gotta have it...it's a quick fix.

Last edited:

emonomics

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alameda, CA, USA
First Name
Emerson
Last Name
L
Member #

I find it's even more simple to bring a pour-over setup for my coffee mug. Super easy to clean. Super easy to adjust strength (after practice)

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

I find it's even more simple to bring a pour-over setup for my coffee mug. Super easy to clean. Super easy to adjust strength (after practice)

That's how the Costa Rican coffee growers made theirs when I visited a plantation there a few years ago. They should know what's best!

Last edited:

Tupenny

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

Longwood, Florida
First Name
Boulder
Last Name
Dash
Member #

I'm a fan of the pour over system. I use a silicone cone and a small hand grinder for beans. I'll set it up in the evening before, put the lid on top and be ready to boil water in the morning

Robbie G

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Calgary AB Canada
Member #

I think the operating procedure for a percolator is:
1. Fill with water and coffee
2. turn on high.... very high
3. get frustrated at how long it is taking to boil
4. turn your back on it for like 2 seconds (that is when it will literally explode out of the perk putting out your stove)
5. re-light your stove and be frustrated at the mess.
6. pour yourself a coffee full of grinds
7. look at your surroundings and think dang, this is the best cup of coffee I have ever had!

Just one man's thoughts :)

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I think the operating procedure for a percolator is:
1. Fill with water and coffee
2. turn on high.... very high
3. get frustrated at how long it is taking to boil
4. turn your back on it for like 2 seconds (that is when it will literally explode out of the perk putting out your stove)
5. re-light your stove and be frustrated at the mess.
6. pour yourself a coffee full of grinds
7. look at your surroundings and think dang, this is the best cup of coffee I have ever had!

Just one man's thoughts :)
For those of us that drink coffee like a fish to water,.....the big upside is........

You get a strong cup of coffee, using 1/2 the amount of grounds that my counter top drip unit uses. You can almost reuse whats in the percolator to do another complete brew drip, as the coffee just keeps recirculating in a loop, squeezing every bit of use out of your peculator's drip beans. That is something your average drip machine just wont do.:hearteyecat:

PS-EDIT:
Another way to squeeze the most out of a Perk n Bean drip, is to bring the pot to a boil, than let it cool some. You then put it back on the heat, and bring it up to a boil again. It is amazing how doing that lets you get even more out of it (strong) than a regular 'once-thru' peculator cycle, as it almost acts like starting from scratch. I use DARK ROAST, COSTCO brand (green/gold can-tin), as my preferred coffee.

Last edited:

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFC851
I use the Coleman pot looking percolator and have mixed issued with it. a few times I get great coffee and a few times a get coffee that tasted like water. Its been kind of hit or miss with the coffee on the camp stove. I'll have to try the get it boiling hot than bring it down method and see if that works better for making coffee. Sometimes it would just feel that it took forever to make a pot of coffee and just seemed like I was burning fuel but none the less long time or not have to have my Java. What do you guys do for the grinds? just strain them through a filter into your cups or?

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
For those of us that drink coffee like a fish to water,.....the big upside is........

You get a strong cup of coffee, using 1/2 the amount of grounds that my counter top drip unit uses. You can almost reuse whats in the percolator to do another complete brew drip, as the coffee just keeps recirculating in a loop, squeezing every bit of use out of your peculator's drip beans. That is something your average drip machine just wont do.:hearteyecat:

PS-EDIT:
Another way to squeeze the most out of a Perk n Bean drip, is to bring the pot to a boil, than let it cool some. You then put it back on the heat, and bring it up to a boil again. It is amazing how doing that lets you get even more out of it (strong) than a regular 'once-thru' peculator cycle, as it almost acts like starting from scratch. I use DARK ROAST, COSTCO brand (green/gold can-tin), as my preferred coffee.
That Dark Roast from Costco is also our favorite, its nice and strong. Never was a fan of light coffee....I like It bold just my Whiskey!

Last edited:

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Im a huge fan of Greek coffee when it comes to simple but good. I also like that its a preparation method that forces you to slow down and keep your mind on the task at hand...

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Im a huge fan of Greek coffee when it comes to simple but good. I also like that its a preparation method that forces you to slow down and keep your mind on the task at hand...
i've never heard of that, sounds kinda like espresso being a small amount of water and heavy amount of grounds. is it more for taste or does it have more kick to wake you up compared to regular coffee?

gc.jpg

Reactions: SinisterJK

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
i've never heard of that, sounds kinda like espresso being a small amount of water and heavy amount of grounds. is it more for taste or does it have more kick to wake you up compared to regular coffee?

View attachment 124626
That's what I'm talking about! I'm Cuban so I'm used to my Cuban coffee in the AM before my regular cup of joe. I love a strong bold robust coffee. What type of pot or coffee maker is that? That looks really neat

Reactions: DanW and grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
That's what I'm talking about! I'm Cuban so I'm used to my Cuban coffee in the AM before my regular cup of joe. I love a strong bold robust coffee. What type of pot or coffee maker is that? That looks really neat
That is the traditional pot to brew the Greek coffee in, its called a briki and you add the fine ground coffee and water to it and boil it and serve it with the grounds in the cup. I had to look this up since I never heard of it, but Greek coffee sounds like espresso except for using steam to brew the coffee, it gets boiled like "cowboy coffee"

To me, coffee is like ice cream in the way that there is no "bad" ice cream, just some is better tasting than others, but its still all good overall. Same as coffee...I've drank it many ways in many different places and for the most part any coffee is good.

Reactions: SinisterJK and DanW

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
That is the traditional pot to brew the Greek coffee in, its called a briki and you add the fine ground coffee and water to it and boil it and serve it with the grounds in the cup. I had to look this up since I never heard of it, but Greek coffee sounds like espresso except for using steam to brew the coffee, it gets boiled like "cowboy coffee"

To me, coffee is like ice cream in the way that there is no "bad" ice cream, just some is better tasting than others, but its still all good overall. Same as coffee...I've drank it many ways in many different places and for the most part any coffee is good.
Anyone who can stomach Cajon coffee could drink anything including swamp water with alligator dung. :-)

• Haha
Reactions: grubworm and DanW

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I have a Coletti Bozeman perc. It works well and is made well, but I found myself reaching for my Stanley french press for the flavor. Maybe I need to work on my perc skills, but the french press is easy to perfect and I can produce the same quality coffee every time. Cleanup is a breeze. Plus I can use the pot for cooking as well.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF

View attachment 124626
Both, you get lots more flavor and more caffeine is extracted as well. The coffee is ground to nearly a powder, sugar is added, then water. The trick comes in "cooking" it. You want to pull it off of the heat just before it boils, this is why it requires attention, and it takes time as you heat it with medium temperature.

Micheal369

Rank III
Launch Member

Builder I

Lebanon, TN, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Bennett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRUN860
I have a cheap Coleman aluminum coffee percolator. I am having a fun time trying to get it to perk on my Coleman propane two burner stove.
It seems that I have to turn the flame down to almost nothing in order to get the perk going.
Could I be doing something wrong here?

Suggestiins? Experiance?

Gotta have that morning Joe!
The heat has to concentrate in the center of the bottom. If the flame is high, it tens to spread, heating more toward the side of the pot. Move the pot over so the high flame catches the middle. This should help.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

I recently gave up drinking coffee. After even posting here about using a percolating coffee setup. What might help some that I started using towards the end of my coffee drinking days was this: doing a pour over, using a ceramic coffee filter cone and a filter. I found that I could still have my coffee fix and not use so much water when water was tight, for the cleanup process after making my coffee for the day. Vance.

Reactions: Micheal369