Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I recently gave up drinking coffee. After even posting here about using a percolating coffee setup. What might help some that I started using towards the end of my coffee drinking days was this: doing a pour over, using a ceramic coffee filter cone and a filter. I found that I could still have my coffee fix and not use so much water when water was tight, for the cleanup process after making my coffee for the day. Vance.
Who cleans a coffee pot, just dump, rinse, and make again when ready. :-)

Overland True North

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Girard, OH, USA
First Name
Don
Last Name
Cur
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1DON

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I use a percolator and just like Lanlubber does, I crank it til it's boiled a bit then lower the heat and let it perk
Ha ha my grandmother, who raised me, never used a coffee pot till the late 60's. She had an old blackened pot that sat on the stove 24 hours a day. She boiled her water on the stove and when it reached a boil she would throw in heaping table spoons of coffee grounds and immediately turn the heat down to a simmer.
There was a beat up old strainer that set in the middle of the stove on a dish rag. When we wanted coffee we just poured the simmering coffee through the strainer and walla that was it. The trash can sat next to the stove so an easy flip of the strainer dumped the grounds in the trash. As the day went on more water and more coffee grounds went into the pan that provided coffee all day long.

My family came from Tennessee originally but settled the town of Sherman Texas in its founding. The graveyard there is full of my family.

TexasGMG

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hell
First Name
Fuck
Last Name
Off
Ha ha my grandmother, who raised me, never used a coffee pot till the late 60's. She had an old blackened pot that sat on the stove 24 hours a day. She boiled her water on the stove and when it reached a boil she would throw in heaping table spoons of coffee grounds and immediately turn the heat down to a simmer.
There was a beat up old strainer that set in the middle of the stove on a dish rag. When we wanted coffee we just poured the simmering coffee through the strainer and walla that was it. The trash can sat next to the stove so an easy flip of the strainer dumped the grounds in the trash. As the day went on more water and more coffee grounds went into the pan that provided coffee all day long.

My family came from Tennessee originally but settled the town of Sherman Texas in its founding. The graveyard there is full of my family.
My grandma made it the same way. She'd also throw an egg shell in it (don't remember why).

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
eggshells are alkaline and when boiled in cowboy coffee, they reduce some of the acid and bitterness in coffee...that won't be very effective in a drip maker. in a drip maker, you can add a pinch of kosher salt to the grinds to reduce acid and bitterness
people who are really into coffee and want less acid will pick coffee grown in lower altitude areas because coffee beans increase in acidity the higher up they are grown.

pcstockton

Rank III

Advocate I

Portland, OR
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
S
Thanks, but I like strong, bitter coffee. I was just relaying how my grandma made it
I said control, not eliminate. It all about whether you use their paper filter, a wet paper filter, or the reusuable metal filter. Along with the parameters of coffee roast, water temp, water/coffee amount and time steeping. It is the most versatile coffee maker ever.
-p

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
eggshells are alkaline and when boiled in cowboy coffee, they reduce some of the acid and bitterness in coffee...that won't be very effective in a drip maker. in a drip maker, you can add a pinch of kosher salt to the grinds to reduce acid and bitterness
people who are really into coffee and want less acid will pick coffee grown in lower altitude areas because coffee beans increase in acidity the higher up they are grown.
I didn't know that, but I do remember my mom putting a dash of salt in her coffee to cut the bitter flavor of strong coffee.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i know to most people, putting anything in coffee is like putting ketchup on a nice steak...BUT...a few months ago we stopped at a Circle K outside of Birmingham to get gas and coffee and i saw these creamers there and tried it. Loved it! Looked online and saw that walmart carries it so we have been using it a lot. if you like creamers, this one is pretty impressive and i make some really rough coffee when camping, so the wife really likes having this on trips

1582942646109.png

Motoboss

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Martinsville, Indiana, USA
Member #

i know to most people, putting anything in coffee is like putting ketchup on a nice steak...BUT...a few months ago we stopped at a Circle K outside of Birmingham to get gas and coffee and i saw these creamers there and tried it. Loved it! Looked online and saw that walmart carries it so we have been using it a lot. if you like creamers, this one is pretty impressive and i make some really rough coffee when camping, so the wife really likes having this on trips

View attachment 142197
Sacrilegious I say!!!

Reactions: boz4rnr