Michael
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC5DWF
Service Branch
Navy
I have a cheap Coleman aluminum coffee percolator. I am having a fun time trying to get it to perk on my Coleman propane two burner stove.
It seems that I have to turn the flame down to almost nothing in order to get the perk going.
Could I be doing something wrong here?

Suggestiins? Experiance?

Gotta have that morning Joe!

Ram Rebel Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Denver, CO
First Name
Arin
Last Name
Hanohano
Member #

I have a cheap Coleman aluminum coffee percolator. I am having a fun time trying to get it to perk on my Coleman propane two burner stove.
It seems that I have to turn the flame down to almost nothing in order to get the perk going.
Could I be doing something wrong here?

Suggestiins? Experiance?

Gotta have that morning Joe!
Best advice, but an AeroPress

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
Can't say much about the Coleman but we have a stainless cabelas percolator. We found with ours you have to be unafraid to jack the heat early on, but then ease it down after it boils. I'm not sure if maybe in your case there isn't enough heat getting into the pot to start the perk?

Here is our process:

1) Put grinds in the basket
2) Fill water to line on jug; this was marked at the factory.
3) Put basket in Jug
4) Put over very high heat until it starts to boil
5) Reduce heat to near low so that you get a "Perk" every 3 seconds or so.
6) Continue to adjust heat to maintain the 3-second-perk until coffee is the appropriate strength to curl toes or have a coffee aroma only, and anything in between.

Scoutrover13

Rank I

Contributor III

Thomasville, NC, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Parker
I do not not know much about percolators, but I second the Aero press. I love mine, and outside of an espresso machine brewed americano it is about as close as your going to get.
Though it is not as simple as dropping in some grounds bring to a boil and serve. Little bit more to it, but its well worth it.

Reactions: r1ckm1

CTO1Mike

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler II

Yuba City, CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC5DWF
Service Branch
Navy
Can't say much about the Coleman but we have a stainless cabelas percolator. We found with ours you have to be unafraid to jack the heat early on, but then ease it down after it boils. I'm not sure if maybe in your case there isn't enough heat getting into the pot to start the perk?

Here is our process:

1) Put grinds in the basket
2) Fill water to line on jug; this was marked at the factory.
3) Put basket in Jug
4) Put over very high heat until it starts to boil
5) Reduce heat to near low so that you get a "Perk" every 3 seconds or so.
6) Continue to adjust heat to maintain the 3-second-perk until coffee is the appropriate strength to curl toes or have a coffee aroma only, and anything in between.
Thanks, will try the bring to boil then go for perk method. Have only perked my 2nd pot last weekend. Experience seems to be the key here then.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Thanks, but have tried the french press types and not really my taste in coffee. :grinning:
This old Goat say's to turn on high until you know it is hot, then lower temp and it will perk, keep on lowest to maintain heat after coffee reaches the strength you like. Perked coffee is the best, bar none unless you want to cook it in a
coffee can and use a strainer like I do a lot. Cowboys don't need no stinking coffee pot !

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
This old Goat say's to turn on high until you know it is hot, then lower temp and it will perk, keep on lowest to maintain heat after coffee reaches the strength you like. Perked coffee is the best, bar none unless you want to cook it in a
coffee can and use a strainer like I do a lot. Cowboys don't need no stinking coffee pot !
Why do you think most cowboys have mustaches. They use them to strain out the coffee grounds.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
@Lanlubber and @old_man -- dontcha know that REAL cowboys just take a spoonful of coffee beans, chew 'em up to grind 'em, and then chug boiling water straight off the fire coals to wash 'em down?

;)
Only the Bad Ass ones that ride bulls in the rodeo. The same ones who swallow their chewing tobbacca !

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

I never had very good success with percolators, though I know some swear by them. When space was less of an issue, I used the Coleman drip coffee maker on my camp stove, and it worked great.. One like this:

When we downsized to the Jeep, we got rid of most of our larger camp items. I now use the GSI French Press.. I heat the water with a backpacking stove, since it only takes about 2.5 minutes. Then pour the hot water over the grounds, put the lid on and wait 5 minutes. When ready, press slowly down on the plunger until it stops, then pour the coffee into my mug.

IMG_20190706_091406.jpg

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I never had very good success with percolators, though I know some swear by them. When space was less of an issue, I used the Coleman drip coffee maker on my camp stove, and it worked great.. One like this:

When we downsized to the Jeep, we got rid of most of our larger camp items. I now use the GSI French Press.. I heat the water with a backpacking stove, since it only takes about 2.5 minutes. Then pour the hot water over the grounds, put the lid on and wait 5 minutes. When ready, press slowly down on the plunger until it stops, then pour the coffee into my mug.

View attachment 113418
I would spend all day making coffee since I'm about a 10 cup man. Not for me and the perk takes up much less room. I bought mine years ago from Restore Habitat for $1. It looks like someone played kick the can with it but it still makes great coffee.

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

I would spend all day making coffee since I'm about a 10 cup man. Not for me and the perk takes up much less room. I bought mine years ago from Restore Habitat for $1. It looks like someone played kick the can with it but it still makes great coffee.
Oh, I feel you there! I try to limit myself to 20 oz otherwise I just get too jittery.

I know my dad loves his percolator, and has had the same one since I was a kid, at least!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Oh, I feel you there! I try to limit myself to 20 oz otherwise I just get too jittery.

I know my dad loves his percolator, and has had the same one since I was a kid, at least!
Being diabetic I drink black coffee (rather weak) all day while others drink their beer. Needless to say I am an outcast.
Your dad and I would probably be good friends. Eat more protein, less carbs, it stops the jitters .

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
In the past I have made coffee at home, stored in a to-go container and just poured into a pot to heat it up while camping. You don't get the same "smell" of the brewing process. But you get coffee quicker. [emoji3]
Coffee brewing on an open camp fire will get the laziest out of bed fast on a brisk morning. Just seems natural in the boonies to smell brewing coffee in the morning mixed with the smell of firewood. Makes me hungry for my spam and eggs just thinking about it.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

With regards to the OP's problem, I would try some kind of diffuser under the percolater that allowed me to crank the gas up without either blowing it around the perc or creating an isolated very hot spot. For instance a cast iron pan under the percolater that would serve as a heat sink and transfer the heat to the bottom of the percolater in a more uniform fashion.

Also wind screening.