L2828

Rank 0

Contributor I

Texas
First Name
LEE
Last Name
WILLIAMS
Coffee brewing on an open camp fire will get the laziest out of bed fast on a brisk morning. Just seems natural in the boonies to smell brewing coffee in the morning mixed with the smell of firewood. Makes me hungry for my spam and eggs just thinking about it.
Sometimes I like the peace and quiet of the laziest one sleeping in. [emoji23]

MrCoffee

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Springfield, Vermont
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
U
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB1PMW
I never had very good success with percolators, though I know some swear by them. When space was less of an issue, I used the Coleman drip coffee maker on my camp stove, and it worked great.. One like this:

I just saw one of these new on Craigslist locally for $20. Was seriously thinking about it since I drink more coffee then your avg human inhales oxygen. At the moment I run a single serving Keurig while in the camper, and beat to crap coffee percolator (Fareberware?) when tenting. Of course at home I have a Keurig, an Nespresso Venturo, a Mr. Coffee 12 cup, and a few bags of beans stashed around that I can chew in case of emergency.

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

I'm no coffee expert, but I have tried all kinds of ways to make it out in the wild and for the longest time, I preferred a percolator. More recently, though, I've found it easiest just to pack some Nescafe or Taster's Choice instant coffee. I just boil water, stir it in, and I'm gtg.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I just saw one of these new on Craigslist locally for $20. Was seriously thinking about it since I drink more coffee then your avg human inhales oxygen. At the moment I run a single serving Keurig while in the camper, and beat to crap coffee percolator (Fareberware?) when tenting. Of course at home I have a Keurig, an Nespresso Venturo, a Mr. Coffee 12 cup, and a few bags of beans stashed around that I can chew in case of emergency.

LOL, screen name checks out.

MrCoffee

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Springfield, Vermont
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
U
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB1PMW
I'm no coffee expert, but I have tried all kinds of ways to make it out in the wild and for the longest time, I preferred a percolator. More recently, though, I've found it easiest just to pack some Nescafe or Taster's Choice instant coffee. I just boil water, stir it in, and I'm gtg.
I use to do the Maxwell House coffee singles when I could find them.... just aren't easy to find if they even make them anymore. and now a days, I drink coffee as a public safety service.

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

I use to do the Maxwell House coffee singles when I could find them.... just aren't easy to find if they even make them anymore. and now a days, I drink coffee as a public safety service.
Amazon has Folgers and Tasters Choice in packs of about 80 for 16 bucks or so. That would get some of you guys through 4 or 5 days, Lol!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Instant has a flavor I don't like but put a coffee can of water on the camp fire, throw in some coffee grounds and it cant be beat if you have a strainer, or else you will pick coffee grounds from your teeth all day. LOL
I call that my granny coffee, it was the way she cooked and served it ! She live to be 94..

Reactions: DanW

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

In my 20s, I found a nice stainless steel coffee pot with the good old Copper bottom. Used that to make my coffee up to about 7 years ago, when one morning I started making coffee and was multi tasking, forgot about the coffee pot going on the stove for about a half hour! It wrecked the coffee pot but did not burn down the house or kitchen! Now I have a white Cornell wear, ceramic like perc coffee pot. The nice thing all the guts are Stainless Steel. I just bring the water to a boil and lower the heat to slow the perc rate. And after about 3 min. have my coffee ready. I drink Starbucks, French Roast, straight. Over the many years, used med. grind, so no filter, just use the Stainless Steel basket! I’m a perc man to the core! Vance.
8AAA404D-5E65-4358-9A1E-41260F30B553.jpeg

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

I only had one issue with it while I had it, the metal band came off the carafe.. I was able to jerry-rig it until I bought a new one.. Wait, actually, now that i recall i didn't even have to buy one because I still had an extra from an old home coffee maker. It worked fine!

I ended up selling it in a garage sale, just cause I stopped using it when we got the Jeep and downsized all of our gear.

I did keep the burner I used for it, as I still like to use it occasionally.. Back then it was dedicated for the coffee maker..

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I think the problem with the "Cheap" aluminum perc pot is not the pot so much as the stove. I have an Aluminum perc style pot and a Coleman 424 stove. I have no issues with it. I get it boiling and then turn it down to a slow perc and it come out just great.
I am not a coffee snob, but my wife is and she said it was just fine. Though on an early morning I think a coffee addict would drink coffee strained through a dirty sock.
You may need to find a stove that allows better control of the heat, or see if you can bring the heat down more on yours.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I think the problem with the "Cheap" aluminum perc pot is not the pot so much as the stove. I have an Aluminum perc style pot and a Coleman 424 stove. I have no issues with it. I get it boiling and then turn it down to a slow perc and it come out just great.
I am not a coffee snob, but my wife is and she said it was just fine. Though on an early morning I think a coffee addict would drink coffee strained through a dirty sock.
You may need to find a stove that allows better control of the heat, or see if you can bring the heat down more on yours.
All technique, not pot or stove.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
So I bring the water to a boil in the percolator be for adding the basket and funnel assembly. This way if I get sidetracked I don't get a big coffee ground boil over mess.
After it reaches a boil, I reduce heat to low and add the internals. Then I SLOWLY turn up the flame until I hear it burbleing....is that a word?