OB Approved CO2 vs. Air Compressors

• HTML tutorial

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

I have heard that about Co2 before, but I have not had that problem on all three Jeeps in this family. Three different type tires, and companies...But also have thought about having a compressor for back up, but that's just me....

Mudgard

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Concord, CA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Voss
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ORJ
Service Branch
USCG
My Rubicon's locker compressor is shot. Thinking of killing two birds with one stone by buying the mid-grade ARB compressor (ARB Heavy-duty Air Compressor for ARB Air Lockers CKMA12), as it is suppose to be able to power both front and rear lockers, as well as fill the tires. Does anyone have experience with this compressor? How well does it fill tires? Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Reactions: 9Mike2 and Zargon

Zargon

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

My Rubicon's locker compressor is shot. Thinking of killing two birds with one stone by buying the mid-grade ARB compressor (ARB Heavy-duty Air Compressor for ARB Air Lockers CKMA12), as it is suppose to be able to power both front and rear lockers, as well as fill the tires. Does anyone have experience with this compressor? How well does it fill tires? Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks.

I don't personally own one of these, however after seeing them used in person and reading reviews, everyone seems to love them. They fill tires very quickly and should have a very good build quality.

Reactions: 9Mike2

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

Two of the guys I run with have that set-up and they love it, and it fills pretty quick, but I finish all four as they finish two with my Co2, but it would be nice to have a back up...

Mudgard

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Concord, CA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Voss
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ORJ
Service Branch
USCG
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like a great unit. Glad to hear it works well. Not too worried about filling all four in minutes, as long as I m not sitting there all day waiting!

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I went with the VIAIR kit. The kit comes with a Constant Duty compressor, and a 2.5 Gallon air tank. I mounted the air tank between my frame rails, with its own skid plate, made by River raider. Love the set up. I used a “Power Tank” forever, but when I was in Central America, I couldn’t find places to fill (more my unfamiliarity with local, then availability, I’m sure) …IMG_0146.jpg

Reactions: ASNOBODY

DMill556

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Dawsonville, Ga
Member #

I have been running a 10# Powertank for a couple of years now and love it, I've even used it to run a air gun to change a wheel on someone else's rig, but I don't like the fact of running out or making sure it full so I'm thinking of getting a arb compressor to mount under my hood for a backup. There is pro and cons to both so I'm just going to have both in the jeep haha.

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

DMill556, that's why I got a Dewalt 1/2 impact gun and spare battery...I tried it and can take off and on eight wheels before the one battery dies...

Reactions: Road

ASNOBODY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate II

Detroit, Michigan
Member #

Years ago I did the same as some others here and got my own tank and regulator. I actually love it. I have a welding supply shop 4 blocks from me so I've never had trouble refilling my CO2 tank before or after a trip. Also, nothing beats blasting some ice cold air into your shoe after a long hike :P

A compressor is definitly a safer long term option though IMO...

Reactions: 9Mike2

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Having kept track of this post I have given the C02 some thought. There must be a way to mount my entire kit. Otherwise, what would be the sense in it? View attachment 31559
Just strap the whole fridge in the rear. I'm sure you can find someone willing to carry the rest of your gear :P

afootorafloatLJ

Rank VIII
Launch Member
Supporter

Trail Blazer I

Boise, ID, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
Calhoun
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7FKK
Great thread
I have an old CO2 tank from the early 2000's. Outback maybe the brand. I let the my co pilot fill the tires so no problem with moving it around. :) I also have a bunch of friends with on board air compressors that I don't worry too much about running out of CO2. I have advanced first aid training and a bomber first aid kit that I can deploy if need be. So folks are happy to share the air.

TOMB

Local Expert Central Valley CA

Explorer I

Clovis Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6STB
I currently use a C02 tank and will be adding a Viair compressor soon. My tank is a 10lb and around $27.00 to fill locally. The C02 does permeate through the tire and I find myself adding air about once a month to all tires. I already had to refill the tank 3 times in the last year. So it will pay to switch to a good compressor in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Mudgard

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Concord, CA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Voss
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ORJ
Service Branch
USCG
I have an ARB CKMA12 compressor for refilling tires only. It takes up very little space under the hood and fills a tire from 16-18 psi to 32 psi in a little over 2 minutes. Super quick and easy. They're compact, easy to install, and never need to be refilled. Glad with my choice!

Reactions: 03TAHOEZ

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I currently use a C02 tank and will be adding a Viair compressor soon. My tank is a 10lb and around $27.00 to fill locally. The C02 does permeate through the tire and I find myself adding air about once a month to all tires. I already had to refill the tank 3 times in the last year. So it will pay to switch to a good compressor in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
And your tank has also bailed out a buddy when his ViAir took a dump. Thanks

Woodruff13

Rank 0

Traveler I

Captain Josh asked the question about air tanks and compressors.

We make a system that stores 4500 psi of air in cylinders, it looks to be about the same energy density as CO2. We are selling it as a way to power air tools. But I'm not a serious off roader myself, so I'd love to talk to / work with a member that can help me explore if it makes sense. My company name is Komptec. Look me up, and call me if you'd like to help explore if this would work for overland use.

Thanks, Bill Woodruff

Reactions: KC H2Os

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I have both, CO2 for convenience and speed and compressor just in case I run out of CO2. The main thing for me is some redundancy and that equals safety to me.

Kris022

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Houston, Texas
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF5UXO
I have both, CO2 for convenience and speed and compressor just in case I run out of CO2. The main thing for me is some redundancy and that equals safety to me.
This. I have both, however it's time to upgrade my HF air compressor for an ARB dual. I read on another forum that air compressors don't do well in high altitudes. Not exactly sure what's considered high. Maybe someone can clear that up?