Chloride Canyon, NM

• HTML tutorial

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Glad to find this thread. We are heading down to the Gila next weekend. Planning on south-to-north route along the North Star Mesa Road. It looks like beautiful country. I'll keep the Chloride route in mind for future weekend treks. I will post up on how our trip goes (note - I am taking an off-road teardrop trailer). I think the roads should be suitable, but apparently the area is susceptible to washouts. Weather should be fine though.
How was this pulling the teardrop?

Matt L.

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Midland, TX
Member #

Hey guys. My son and I did this route two days ago and it was fantastic. This was our third day on the NMBDR (New Mexico Backcountry Discovery Route). We started the day in Truth or Consequences and made it to Chloride Canyon around noon. The lady at the museum in Chloride is a wealth of information on the area. We camped at Snow Lake. The campground is very nice but water is still shut off for winter. Collect your firewood before you get there.

On the way out 180 was not passable unless you want to spend a few days with a chainsaw. We had to turn around only a few miles in. I am sure it will be cleared in the next month or so. We took 28 around to Reserve.

Morning Coffee in my hammock.

Matt L.

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Midland, TX
Member #

What was the total distance/time of the trip?

Do you happen to have on a shareable file?

Did you camp out or did you see any stellar camping spots?

I've got a 3 day trip in 5 days and at present time I've got nothing concrete locked in. Was planning on going to the Jemez mountains but this might be an option as part of the trip. We are coming from El Paso.

Thanks,
-Chris
This route is section NM3 on the NMBDR (New Mexico Backcountry Discovery Route) and downloadable from the official website.

New Mexico Backcountry Discovery Route (NMBDR)

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
How was this pulling the teardrop?
The teardrop did great. The road was in good shape, no real issues. Some parts of the road were narrow and steep, and there were some minor washouts. I was able to get the trailer through it all, of course I took it on the Kokopelli last year - that was a bit of a challenge to say the least. We love backcountry with the teardrop. It does limit some of the areas where we used to adventure, but I still really enjoy the backroads and getting away from the crowds.

Attachments

Enthusiast I

Northern AZ
First Name
John
Last Name
W
Question for those of you that have been there. Do you think it would be possible to run a full size 4x4 truck with overhead camper thru the canyon? I think my biggest problem is overhead branches.

HoffmanMark

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Dallas, Texas, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Question for those of you that have been there. Do you think it would be possible to run a full size 4x4 truck with overhead camper thru the canyon? I think my biggest problem is overhead branches.

When my buddies and I drove thru the canyon last year he had a Thule box on top of his Jeep JL and I had 2- 5gallon Jerry cans laid 90* from vertical on top of my 04 4 RNR. We didn’t have any issues, but you are definitely sitting higher. How far into the forest will you be going?

Enthusiast I

Northern AZ
First Name
John
Last Name
W
When my buddies and I drove thru the canyon last year he had a Thule box on top of his Jeep JL and I had 2- 5gallon Jerry cans laid 90* from vertical on top of my 04 4 RNR. We didn’t have any issues, but you are definitely sitting higher. How far into the forest will you be going?
I was hoping to go all the way thru to Reserve and beyond. My overall height definitely has me concerned. To clear the top of the camper, I need about 10'-6". Don't laugh, but I was planning on bringing my pole chain saw. I just don't want to spend my entire vacation pruning the forest trail.

HoffmanMark

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Dallas, Texas, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I was hoping to go all the way thru to Reserve and beyond. My overall height definitely has me concerned. To clear the top of the camper, I need about 10'-6". Don't laugh, but I was planning on bringing my pole chain saw. I just don't want to spend my entire vacation pruning the forest trail.
I think you’d be fine overall. When are you heading out? Just asking. I have gps coordinates for points of interest.

Laud

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Southeast Arlington TX
First Name
Laud
Last Name
Maroney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
-KG5QHC-
Service Branch
Air Force and Army
Went through two years ago in our 2500 Ram with hight top topper. I don't remember any low hanging areas. All open roads. The canyon is narrow, but not skinny in any means. But it is a slow drive all the way to Snow Lake. Airing down helped a little.
Now go do it!

Enthusiast I

Northern AZ
First Name
John
Last Name
W
Went through two years ago in our 2500 Ram with hight top topper. I don't remember any low hanging areas. All open roads. The canyon is narrow, but not skinny in any means. But it is a slow drive all the way to Snow Lake. Airing down helped a little.
Now go do it!
After reading yours and HoffmanMark's comments, I'm thinking we'll give this a try. I can always turn around if it becomes a headache. Fortunately, the camper is light (1700 wet), and narrow (86" wide). I will try to post a picture of the rig tomorrow.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I’m curious about the canyon. Watching this video it looks cool. Yet the NMBDR shows an alternate route to avoid it. Any ideas why?

Reactions: Shamu

Laud

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Southeast Arlington TX
First Name
Laud
Last Name
Maroney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
-KG5QHC-
Service Branch
Air Force and Army
I’m curious about the canyon. Watching this video it looks cool. Yet the NMBDR shows an alternate route to avoid it. Any ideas why?

Alt route is for snow and run off closure.
To follow up from my post awhile ago....went through again, Aug ‘19 with same RAM with a FWC
mounted in it. Go Do It!!
Highly recommend calling ahead to the Apache Kid RV and grab a cabin and take the museum tour!
What a time capsule. Have done the tour both times.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
No worries, toyfool. I️ plan to go back next year, so all info about this area is welcomed.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
You better look me up if you come back. You could spend a year on just the Gila trails and still mot see them all. Fabulous National Forest.

Reactions: Sparksalot

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Hey guys. My son and I did this route two days ago and it was fantastic. This was our third day on the NMBDR (New Mexico Backcountry Discovery Route). We started the day in Truth or Consequences and made it to Chloride Canyon around noon. The lady at the museum in Chloride is a wealth of information on the area. We camped at Snow Lake. The campground is very nice but water is still shut off for winter. Collect your firewood before you get there.

On the way out 180 was not passable unless you want to spend a few days with a chainsaw. We had to turn around only a few miles in. I am sure it will be cleared in the next month or so. We took 28 around to Reserve.

Morning Coffee in my hammock.
View attachment 91754
Don't know why you would have had problems on hwy 180. I've never seen it closed or blocked in the 22 years I've been here. Its a major highway.

Reactions: Matt L.