Chicagoland/Illinois

• HTML tutorial

Joe Hunt

Local Expert Iowa, USA
Launch Member

Influencer I

Mechanicsville Iowa
Member #

Hey guys, new to the Chicago area (Logan Square) and trying to get back into camping, fishing, and off roading. I recently got a 2012 Jeep GC Laredo WK2 4x4 before I moved up and am looking to beef it up a little bit. I've already gotten the RR leveling kit in hand and will also be putting some new ATs on it some time this Winter. If anyone has any recommendations on a shop/installer for the leveling kit then please let me know.

As for camping and fishing I am working on building up gear past the usual stuff (tent, bags, cot, basic cast iron, etc.). Hoping to find a few spots to get out to in IL/WI/MI in the Spring.

I'm excited to join the group and look forward to posting more.

- Tyler

((Original vehicle/rig through my late teens and early twenties was a 1998 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71, 5.7L 350, 9in. of lift (6" suspension, 3" body), 37" MTs, cat back exhaust, a few mounted lights, etc etc. Fun for the mud but now looking to tone it down))
Tyler,
Some good trails in Wisconsin, Michigan.
Shops for work, suspension, aftermarket, check in Dubuque Iowa Complete Off Road.
Camping gear, overlanding gear, depends on what you want.
If you want some advise or ideas give me a call.
Joe
Nomadoverlanding.com

Traveler I

Tyler,
Some good trails in Wisconsin, Michigan.
Shops for work, suspension, aftermarket, check in Dubuque Iowa Complete Off Road.
Camping gear, overlanding gear, depends on what you want.
If you want some advise or ideas give me a call.
Joe
Nomadoverlanding
Joe,
I was just checking out your website when you replied. Thanks for reaching out.

Joe Hunt

Local Expert Iowa, USA
Launch Member

Influencer I

Mechanicsville Iowa
Member #

Pick a Sunday! I'll go
Hey guys, it's always good to get out. We are going to try and get a group together for the Wisconsin Trail this coming spring. I do have another road trip planned for the summer, so far we have 3 rigs going, finishing the Trans American Trail. Then up to the Artic Circle and Dead Horse on the Dalton Highway.

Reactions: Vsevolod

Rotten Robby

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lake Villa, IL, USA
Member #

I'm definitely interested, anybody else traveling with kids? Also what kind of comms is everyone running? I'm outfitting my vehicle now so it's ready for spring

Joe Hunt

Local Expert Iowa, USA
Launch Member

Influencer I

Mechanicsville Iowa
Member #

I'm definitely interested, anybody else traveling with kids? Also what kind of comms is everyone running? I'm outfitting my vehicle now so it's ready for spring
We always welcome kids. It just takes a little patience, and it's always fun to see them learn and explore new things.

Lead K9

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Franklin Park, Illinois
First Name
Lead
Last Name
Dog
Member #

I might be interested in joining you guys for a run on the Wisconsin Trail (I hate typing TWAT). Do you have dates yet?

I'd probably be going with kids (14 & 12) and a couple dogs.

Joe Hunt

Local Expert Iowa, USA
Launch Member

Influencer I

Mechanicsville Iowa
Member #

I might be interested in joining you guys for a run on the Wisconsin Trail (I hate typing TWAT). Do you have dates yet?

I'd probably be going with kids (14 & 12) and a couple dogs.
Not sure on dates yet. Kids and the dogs are welcome, we do make a couple of stops in public places , Patosi at the Restaurant and brewery museum. The Delta Diner. We sometimes will camp out on Madaline Island. Go to our website and give me a call mid June. Now thinking July some time. This next trip will be more true to the route , so 4x4 and camping will be the thinking. It would be great to have you come along. What do you have for a rig?
Joe
Nomadoverlanding.com

Reactions: Lead K9

Lead K9

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Franklin Park, Illinois
First Name
Lead
Last Name
Dog
Member #

Not sure on dates yet. Kids and the dogs are welcome, we do make a couple of stops in public places , Patosi at the Restaurant and brewery museum. The Delta Diner. We sometimes will camp out on Madaline Island. Go to our website and give me a call mid June. Now thinking July some time. This next trip will be more true to the route , so 4x4 and camping will be the thinking. It would be great to have you come along. What do you have for a rig?
Joe
Nomadoverlanding.com
I drive a stock 2008 JKUR with a winch and LOD bumpers. I imagine it should handle the trail pretty well.

Do you guys use the GPS maps hosted by Lone Wolf Expeditions? If so, what GPS app do you use for them? I have the factory GPS, but I don't believe it also for map files to be uploaded other than the factory discs. I have an iPhone and iPad, so need something compatible with them. I am interested in what you guys use to run that trail. Thanks!

Joe Hunt

Local Expert Iowa, USA
Launch Member

Influencer I

Mechanicsville Iowa
Member #

I drive a stock 2008 JKUR with a winch and LOD bumpers. I imagine it should handle the trail pretty well.

Do you guys use the GPS maps hosted by Lone Wolf Expeditions? If so, what GPS app do you use for them? I have the factory GPS, but I don't believe it also for map files to be uploaded other than the factory discs. I have an iPhone and iPad, so need something compatible with them. I am interested in what you guys use to run that trail. Thanks!
I use a standard GPS, but when I did the Trans American Trail I used a trail card insert, it worked very well. We also use a Wisconsin atlas, more detail. Your JK will handle the Wisconsin Trail easily. The last time we did it we had a sprinter van in the group and altered the route a bit. It is a nice run. Lots of fun.

Reactions: Lead K9

Lead K9

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Franklin Park, Illinois
First Name
Lead
Last Name
Dog
Member #

I use a standard GPS, but when I did the Trans American Trail I used a trail card insert, it worked very well. We also use a Wisconsin atlas, more detail. Your JK will handle the Wisconsin Trail easily. The last time we did it we had a sprinter van in the group and altered the route a bit. It is a nice run. Lots of fun.
I did some snooping around on YouTube and found Gaia is compatible with the TWAT maps. I am playing with it now and it has some really cool features.

Vsevolod

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Barrington, Illinois, USA
Member #

Hey guys, new to the Chicago area (Logan Square) and trying to get back into camping, fishing, and off roading. I recently got a 2012 Jeep GC Laredo WK2 4x4 before I moved up and am looking to beef it up a little bit. I've already gotten the RR leveling kit in hand and will also be putting some new ATs on it some time this Winter. If anyone has any recommendations on a shop/installer for the leveling kit then please let me know.

As for camping and fishing I am working on building up gear past the usual stuff (tent, bags, cot, basic cast iron, etc.). Hoping to find a few spots to get out to in IL/WI/MI in the Spring.

I'm excited to join the group and look forward to posting more.

- Tyler

((Original vehicle/rig through my late teens and early twenties was a 1998 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71, 5.7L 350, 9in. of lift (6" suspension, 3" body), 37" MTs, cat back exhaust, a few mounted lights, etc etc. Fun for the mud but now looking to tone it down))
Hi ! Glad to meet you! New to off roading so trying to find friends to get out and wheeling) So let me know if you need company) Would like to try badlands soon and Illinois-wisconsin trail!
20181223_113046.jpeg

Joe Hunt

Local Expert Iowa, USA
Launch Member

Influencer I

Mechanicsville Iowa
Member #

Hi ! Glad to meet you! New to off roading so trying to find friends to get out and wheeling) So let me know if you need company) Would like to try badlands soon and Illinois-wisconsin trail!
View attachment 84820
Welcome, Joe here. Glad to have you on the site. We do make a trip to various trails from time to time. We will let you know when we hit the trail again. It's always nice to have folks along. Hoping to make near 10,000 miles this year on the trails.

Vsevolod

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Barrington, Illinois, USA
Member #

Welcome, Joe here. Glad to have you on the site. We do make a trip to various trails from time to time. We will let you know when we hit the trail again. It's always nice to have folks along. Hoping to make near 10,000 miles this year on the trails.
Thank you! Please keep me posted) Was build my jeep whole winter from bone stock)

Reactions: BobsGarage

sri kamas

Rank 0

Traveler I

Chicago,IL
Member #

Hello overlanders. I am from naperville, IL getting into overlanding. I have 2014 JKUR, done quite a bit of offroading and built/building my M416 Trailer into a camper. Would love an opportunity to go overlanding with the rest of the folks, no idea where to start
IMG_3642 (2).JPG

Attachments

Reactions: Cobra5.4

Joe Hunt

Local Expert Iowa, USA
Launch Member

Influencer I

Mechanicsville Iowa
Member #

Hello overlanders. I am from naperville, IL getting into overlanding. I have 2014 JKUR, done quite a bit of offroading and built/building my M416 Trailer into a camper. Would love an opportunity to go overlanding with the rest of the folks, no idea where to start
View attachment 87782
Looks like a nice rig. Do some research on the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail. It is a nice run and close. 600 miles or so one way. We are trying to get an active group together near Cedar Rapids Iowa, keep an eye out for us, you would be welcome.
Joe.