Joe
Last Name
Hunt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ke0uvb
Service Branch
USAF
Anyone from the Chicagoland area or Illinois? I'm in a jeep club here as well and would be cool to get both the clubs together! Also am always looking for meet ups to see rigs and get ideas.
Sounds good, we are near Cedar Rapids Iowa , but always looking to make a meet up or a trip. We are head out for a run next week but when we get back , let's go again.
Joe.

CHI-T4R

Rank I

Enthusiast I

CHICAGO
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Baber
Anyone interested in going to silver lake state park to ride the dunes? Could be a day trip or weekend from Chicago area.
I'm looking to get out and would be interested in any one day trips (I currently don't have any camp stuff yet... new to the game).

Clompshark

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Chicago
Member #

Hey everyone, just joined OB officially but have been camping all my life and am in the process of building a 1997 Land Cruiser using parts from my 1995 Land Cruiser (long story). I live in Lincoln Park and am excited to get more involved in this community. I am planning a long trip from Chicago to Nelson, BC (north route through ND there and south route through SD on the way back). Has anyone done this before? Any tips?

Also any fellow Chicago FZJ80 friends out there? I would love to meet up!

Joe Hunt

Local Expert Iowa, USA
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mechanicsville Iowa
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Hunt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ke0uvb
Service Branch
USAF
Joe here,

Anyone interested in a camp weekend in September? I have a couple of places we can camp for a night or two. It seems to be hard to generate some interest. We are 30 minutes east of Cedar Rapids. Let get to gather share some ideas, and see what everyone has for rigs. If we camp at our place no charge, we have a timber we can use. No facilities there however. I'll supply the campsite and firewood.

Reactions: Tbell18

Joe Hunt

Local Expert Iowa, USA
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mechanicsville Iowa
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Hunt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ke0uvb
Service Branch
USAF
Just recently did a trip out to Idaho Springs CO, camping and wheeling..... been wanting to do that trip for a while.... looking to do the Trans Wisc Adv Trl next spring.... and another CO trip next Summer... and hopefully some smaller trips in between.... ultimate goal is to do the Mojave Road....
View attachment 66731
I am going to finish the Trans American Trail next spring. From Utah to the oregano coast. Could always use a second vehicle on the trail. Interested?

Reactions: Captainskidmark74

jimmynotjim

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Jimmy
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Wish I'd found you guys sooner, I'm between Dubuque and Quad Cities but camp/fish all over the area. Unfortunately I'm relocating to San Diego in a few weeks. If you're ever looking for an extra truck or even a navigator/camera guy for trips out West let me know.

Reactions: Captainskidmark74

Joe Hunt

Local Expert Iowa, USA
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mechanicsville Iowa
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Hunt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ke0uvb
Service Branch
USAF
Wish I'd found you guys sooner, I'm between Dubuque and Quad Cities but camp/fish all over the area. Unfortunately I'm relocating to San Diego in a few weeks. If you're ever looking for an extra truck or even a navigator/camera guy for trips out West let me know.
My name is Joe. Go to nomadoverlanding.com
Thats me. Still remodeling the website.
See you on the trail .

Traveler I

Hey guys, new to the Chicago area (Logan Square) and trying to get back into camping, fishing, and off roading. I recently got a 2012 Jeep GC Laredo WK2 4x4 before I moved up and am looking to beef it up a little bit. I've already gotten the RR leveling kit in hand and will also be putting some new ATs on it some time this Winter. If anyone has any recommendations on a shop/installer for the leveling kit then please let me know.

As for camping and fishing I am working on building up gear past the usual stuff (tent, bags, cot, basic cast iron, etc.). Hoping to find a few spots to get out to in IL/WI/MI in the Spring.

I'm excited to join the group and look forward to posting more.

- Tyler

((Original vehicle/rig through my late teens and early twenties was a 1998 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71, 5.7L 350, 9in. of lift (6" suspension, 3" body), 37" MTs, cat back exhaust, a few mounted lights, etc etc. Fun for the mud but now looking to tone it down))

Last edited:

Lead K9

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Franklin Park, Illinois
First Name
Lead
Last Name
Dog
Member #

Do you have a garage that handles your maintenance? They should be able to throw a leveling kit together. Not sure what is involved in a WK2 regarding parts, but if they can handle suspension work, this shouldn't be a big deal.

Was Jeep still offering the lifetime drivetrain warranty in 2012? If so, make sure the dealership you use will still honor the warranty with the leveling kit. Adjusting the height changes the angles of the drivetrain and might void the lifetime warranty if the dealership has some jerks working there. This is what kept me from lifting my JKUR. I've don't really need the small increase in height and the warranty has been used a few times.

Traveler I

Do you have a garage that handles your maintenance? They should be able to throw a leveling kit together. Not sure what is involved in a WK2 regarding parts, but if they can handle suspension work, this shouldn't be a big deal.

Was Jeep still offering the lifetime drivetrain warranty in 2012? If so, make sure the dealership you use will still honor the warranty with the leveling kit. Adjusting the height changes the angles of the drivetrain and might void the lifetime warranty if the dealership has some jerks working there. This is what kept me from lifting my JKUR. I've don't really need the small increase in height and the warranty has been used a few times.

I am searching for a solid 4x4 shop up here that I can start building a good relationship with for future modifications as well. Thanks for the heads up on the warranty thing. I will look into it now.