Cheap Amazon Diesel heater recommendations?

• HTML tutorial

Haggy

Rank VI

Influencer I

Medford, Oregon.
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Hagglund
Member #

Service Branch
Army Guard and USMC
I have a budy who is building them into the knock off pelican cases and they are bad ass. I can't wait to get one especially after him putting a T adapter on and heating my rtt this weekend. It's def a must have.

Attachments

Dimitri_Raptis

Rank VIII
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Riyadh, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
First Name
Dimitri
Last Name
Raptis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Reactions: grubworm

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I haven't run one of these myself, however I've heard that running them off of kerosene instead of #2 diesel avoids a lot of problems with soot build-up and pretty much gets rid of the risk of gelling in the cold. The diesel heaters have no problem running kerosene and it burns much cleaner.
We used to run Kerosene in a heater years back in the house, yet I seem to remember the orfice had to be changed.. Can anyone confirm this change of fuel?

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
I haven't run one of these myself, however I've heard that running them off of kerosene instead of #2 diesel avoids a lot of problems with soot build-up and pretty much gets rid of the risk of gelling in the cold. The diesel heaters have no problem running kerosene and it burns much cleaner.
We used to run Kerosene in a heater years back in the house, yet I seem to remember the orfice had to be changed.. Can anyone confirm this change of fuel?
Other than this fellow saying that sulfur adds lubricity the video is pretty good. You would probably want to mix some Diesel Kleen in with the kerosene to bump up the lubricity or do a mix like he suggests, but other than pump wear concerns there's no downside to running kerosene except maybe cost if it's more expensive, but with how economical these run combined with staying cleaner internally I think it'd be worth it.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Other than this fellow saying that sulfur adds lubricity the video is pretty good. You would probably want to mix some Diesel Kleen in with the kerosene to bump up the lubricity or do a mix like he suggests, but other than pump wear concerns there's no downside to running kerosene except maybe cost if it's more expensive, but with how economical these run combined with staying cleaner internally I think it'd be worth it.
Funny, I was just running through some of his videos! Thank you for this link

Reactions: DRAX

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
the heater came in early today and i was able to get it mounted in the trailer. this is a VERY well made unit and i am actually impressed with it. i hooked up my 35ah battery to it and it fired up minutes after unboxing it. i ended up cutting a hole in the floor and running the exhaust and intake down thru it and leaving the unit inside, versus having it outside and running the heat duct into the trailer.

the thing fired up pretty quick and outputs a lot of really nice hot air that doesnt have CO or a lot of moisture like the propane heaters create. after spending 5 minutes with this heater...my buddy heater quickly found its way into the dumpster...

note: the unit comes with a fairly long wire to hook to a 12v source but i wanted longer, so i added a few feet of 14ga wire. the unit wouldnt work. apparently the controller onboard sends out a signal checking impedance and the values changed when i added the extra wire and that kept it from working. i was surprised to see safety precautions on that level on such a cheap piece of gear. pretty impressive.

IMG_2583.JPG

Last edited:

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
I'm kind of stuck on whether to buy the components, or a kit, and going this route vs. buying one of the many all in one ready to go versions. The latter are inexpensive enough that you could probably buy one and "part it out" as the basis for a Pelican style case build.

The only advantages I can think of for the "in the case" type is that they would provide, I think, better weather protection and they're probably more durable when transporting them. Those are good reasons for having them.

I found this video on some of the common problems with the ready to go heaters. He offers some pretty simple improvements.

(430) Chinese Diesel Heater, problems and solutions. - YouTube
That is what I did. Bought an All-In-One and took it apart to install the guts into a harbor freight pelican style case. $120 for the unit, $65 for the case. Money ahead on the build. Although I added a boat fuel tank and QD fittings for storage and transport. Still less than buying a commercially assembled unit.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

That is what I did. Bought an All-In-One and took it apart to install the guts into a harbor freight pelican style case. $120 for the unit, $65 for the case. Money ahead on the build. Although I added a boat fuel tank and QD fittings for storage and transport. Still less than buying a commercially assembled unit.
Was just cost to go this direction? I was thinking of not going all-n-one to build in a pelican.. I want the unit outside and only pipe in heat.

David H

Local Expert Southern ID

Traveler III

Boise, ID, 83713 USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Hopkins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRKQ684
Service Branch
U.S.A.F.
This unit is pretty slick.....
This is the one I'm thinking of getting. I bought a MaXpeedingRODS 5K heater off of ebay, but it received a safety recall so I had to return it. I was planning on building a case to enclose it. Now I'm thinking of getting the HCalory 5K heater in a toolbox diesel heater. I like the idea of having the tank separate from the heater for easier transportation and storage. Plus it's a well build box and still light weight. And it will sit well on my new fender table...
IMG_3781.jpgIMG_3780.jpgIMG_3775.jpgIMG_3776.jpgIMG_3779.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: lhoffm4 and reaver

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I've decided I'm going to move mine to a more weather resistant case, specifically, a rigid medium toolbox. It should be a fairly simple project, and should only require a few parts.

Reactions: lhoffm4 and David H

David H

Local Expert Southern ID

Traveler III

Boise, ID, 83713 USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Hopkins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRKQ684
Service Branch
U.S.A.F.
I've decided I'm going to move mine to a more weather resistant case, specifically, a rigid medium toolbox. It should be a fairly simple project, and should only require a few parts.
I saw the Harbor Freight has some good weatherproof boxes (like this Apache case) that could save peeps some money...

Reactions: lhoffm4 and Rudy C

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I saw the Harbor Freight has some good weatherproof boxes (like this Apache case) that could save peeps some money...
I want the fuel container inside the box. I want to try and minimize any leaking into the trailer. I know I can fit EVERYTHING in the rigid tool box (which is only about $60 anyways), that it's just plug in the power, and run the hose into one of the tents.

Reactions: David H

David H

Local Expert Southern ID

Traveler III

Boise, ID, 83713 USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Hopkins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRKQ684
Service Branch
U.S.A.F.
You’ll have to show us when it’s done. I’d love something like that too :-)

David H

Local Expert Southern ID

Traveler III

Boise, ID, 83713 USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Hopkins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRKQ684
Service Branch
U.S.A.F.
I want the fuel container inside the box. I want to try and minimize any leaking into the trailer. I know I can fit EVERYTHING in the rigid tool box (which is only about $60 anyways), that it's just plug in the power, and run the hose into one of the tents.
I bought this DeWalt XL Tool Box from ebay because of it's dimensions for my original heater, but the inside dimensions we still a little too small to hold heater, tank, and have enough room for the exhaust and intake tubes, and it weights almost 14 lbs empty.
1669156867373.png

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I bought this DeWalt XL Tool Box from ebay because of it's dimensions for my original heater, but the inside dimensions we still a little too small to hold heater, tank, and have enough room for the exhaust and intake tubes, and it weights almost 14 lbs empty.
View attachment 245569
This is what I planned on using:

David H

Local Expert Southern ID

Traveler III

Boise, ID, 83713 USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Hopkins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRKQ684
Service Branch
U.S.A.F.
This is what I planned on using:

Here are the specs for the DeWalt XL Toolbox I had.
1669158329511.png

Without extensive trimming on the inside, it was too short to house the tall tank the heater came with and,
not tall or wide enough to house both heater and a after market 5.5L fuel tank I bought.
1669158559671.png

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Here are the specs for the DeWalt XL Toolbox I had.
View attachment 245570

Without extensive trimming on the inside, it was too short to house the tall tank the heater came with and,
not tall or wide enough to house both heater and a after market 5.5L fuel tank I bought.
View attachment 245571
It's been done. I have the same size tank.

If it doesn't fit, I'll use the box200-5kw-portable-diesel-air-heater.191458for200-5kw-portable-diesel-air-heater.191458
something else, and try a different size box.

Olen

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Stillwater, OK, USA
First Name
Olen
Last Name
Weaver
Member #

I got a vevor 8kw all in one unit. Haven't had a chance to fire it up yet. Had to work until 5,then had to go and pick up kitties from the vet, then make dinner, etc, etc. I won't get a chance to fire it up until after my kid goes to bed tonight, at the earliest.
I got the 8kw Vevor all in one unit and used it a couple weeks ago with my Gazelle tent. It kept me comfortable on the lowest setting (1.7Hz) all night.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I got the 8kw Vevor all in one unit and used it a couple weeks ago with my Gazelle tent. It kept me comfortable on the lowest setting (1.7Hz) all night.
I'm actually a little worried that the 8kw heater will be too much for my RTT, but the winters here in Idaho can get REAL cold.

Reactions: lhoffm4