OB1962

Influencer II

Collingwood Park, Queensland,4301
First Name
Luis
Last Name
Merlo
Member #

I have loved radio since the late 1970's....as a teen, with a 23 channel AM/SSB mobile rig, (27mhz) a car battery in my bedroom and a "huge" 1/2 wave ringo antenna outside my window I spoke to the world !...and it blew my mind....about 2 years ago i developed an interest in radio again, this time on "handhelds" as there are so many bands now available in handheld units...and the thrill of going to a hilltop, with 4 or 5 watts unit, a finely tuned antenna and making a long distance contact...well...it's freakin awesome !....i emailed my local radio authority and paid my $25.00 AUD for the Amateur radio handbook, was advised to contact my local amateur radio club for the license, i dealt with the president of the club, and was told they needed $200.00 up front, $74.00 for the exam, and $52.00 per year for the license...so you can imagine what i told the "president"...the search continues for another club, and get on with ham radio, as a mix of both, CB and Ham is the way to go in my opinion, contrary to all the literature !...cheers

WJ - Firefly

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Casey County, Kentucky
First Name
David
Last Name
Goodyear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC
I have loved radio since the late 1970's....as a teen, with a 23 channel AM/SSB mobile rig, (27mhz) a car battery in my bedroom and a "huge" 1/2 wave ringo antenna outside my window I spoke to the world !...and it blew my mind....about 2 years ago i developed an interest in radio again, this time on "handhelds" as there are so many bands now available in handheld units...and the thrill of going to a hilltop, with 4 or 5 watts unit, a finely tuned antenna and making a long distance contact...well...it's freakin awesome !....i emailed my local radio authority and paid my $25.00 AUD for the Amateur radio handbook, was advised to contact my local amateur radio club for the license, i dealt with the president of the club, and was told they needed $200.00 up front, $74.00 for the exam, and $52.00 per year for the license...so you can imagine what i told the "president"...the search continues for another club, and get on with ham radio, as a mix of both, CB and Ham is the way to go in my opinion, contrary to all the literature !...cheers
Wow! I got my first license when I was 14. I think there was a 5$ fee for the examiner. Maybe another $5 or $10 dollar fee for a 5 year license. I didn't join a club until we moved to Alaska. I think the annual membership dues were $20, but had nothing to do with my federally issued license. Since then I don't think I have paid for any examinations for upgrades.

I hope you find a good club!

Been a while since I have talked to Australia on 20M.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Jose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Peoria, AZ
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Prett cool set up scubasteve. I have mine behind the tire Carrie but a lot of people say it's not good back their. Did you make that bracket for the tag or did you buy it? Thanks

scubasteve2002

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Colorado, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Lap
Member #

Prett cool set up scubasteve. I have mine behind the tire Carrie but a lot of people say it's not good back their. Did you make that bracket for the tag or did you buy it? Thanks
Thank you!

Yeah I heard tire carrier isn't the best due to signals getting reverberated. The bracket is made in California by a company called CoolTech. You get the bracket, a good 18' coax cable, and an antenna of your choice from their selection. All of it was about $100 I think. It was super easy to install since the instructions are straight forward with picture. Don't even need to drill into the Jeep. Just the plastic tag frame.

Here is the link!

http://www.cooltechllc.com/wrangler-parts-accessories/47-ultramount-cb-antenna-system.html

I've been on some narrow trails with lots of trees. I don't run a spring under the antenna. And the antenna will bend like crazy while the mount stays solid.

Reactions: Jose and Luis Merlo

Jose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Peoria, AZ
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Thank you!

Yeah I heard tire carrier isn't the best due to signals getting reverberated. The bracket is made in California by a company called CoolTech. You get the bracket, a good 18' coax cable, and an antenna of your choice from their selection. All of it was about $100 I think. It was super easy to install since the instructions are straight forward with picture. Don't even need to drill into the Jeep. Just the plastic tag frame.

Here is the link!

http://www.cooltechllc.com/wrangler-parts-accessories/47-ultramount-cb-antenna-system.html

I've been on some narrow trails with lots of trees. I don't run a spring under the antenna. And the antenna will bend like crazy while the mount stays solid.
Awesome brother! Good looking out and thank you again.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

As a teen, when cellphones were just going mainstream in the 1990's, we used to all use CB radios to stay in contact out on the trail. Over time those fizzled out, as did the amount of folks around town who had rigs for trail rallying. Anyway, I just got back into it and installed a new Midland set up in the rig in the spring. I was wondering if anyone else was using one?

TheMcCalls

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Auburn, WA
Member #

As a teen, when cellphones were just going mainstream in the 1990's, we used to all use CB radios to stay in contact out on the trail. Over time those fizzled out, as did the amount of folks around town who had rigs for trail rallying. Anyway, I just got back into it and installed a new Midland set up in the rig in the spring. I was wondering if anyone else was using one?
Back when we effectively hitch hiked with NWOL, we got a handheld BaoFeng UV-5R in anticipation of eventually getting our own vehicle. Now that we have a rig, lookin' forward to actually using it! LOL

ColoradoPacific

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fort Collins, CO
Member #

I've got a Uniden Bearcat in my truck, but it almost never gets used. The only reason I'm keeping it is for when someone in my group doesn't have any other communication options. I also use it for NOAA weather radio occasionally.

Ham & GMRS are much more useful and versatile, but CB is a good backup to have. Me? When I'm on the trails with a group, I usually have 3-4 different radios (or at least channels) being monitored at any given time!