AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Sorry for the delay. I was on a long trip! Mine is a good antenna. Good enough for group trail use. The 1000 which is a bit more expensive will give you more range. Like a lot more. Maybe a couple of miles which in the CB world could be 50%. Not as important for me because I am a HAM guy now and CB 2nd.

Vandy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Okc
So now I need to figure out if I want a portable one or a hard mounted one. My wife backed out of the trip so we are taking my tacoma. I may bite the bullet and mount one

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
I recently got a CB and am really disappointed with it. It's like listening to a walkman through a pillow. Range is terrible too.

The little FRS radios are better. I use both because my buddies don't both have CB.

I am considering ditching the CB for a Mobile VHF/UHF and just using the FRS radios.

-M

stormtrooper

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

British Columbia
Member #

I recently got a CB and am really disappointed with it. It's like listening to a walkman through a pillow. Range is terrible too.

The little FRS radios are better. I use both because my buddies don't both have CB.

I am considering ditching the CB for a Mobile VHF/UHF and just using the FRS radios.

-M
Wolfy is your antenna a fire stick or steel whip? If it's a steel whip style it might need to be tuned (cut down abit)

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
Wolfy is your antenna a fire stick or steel whip? If it's a steel whip style it might need to be tuned (cut down abit)
Fire Stick. And I have a spring under it, but I followed the mounting instructions for that. Think that might be it?

I am going to get an SWR meter and tune it.

-M

Reactions: stormtrooper

stormtrooper

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

British Columbia
Member #

Fire Stick. And I have a spring under it, but I followed the mounting instructions for that. Think that might be it?

I am going to get an SWR meter and tune it.

-M
Sometimes the spring has a center wire that gets corroded. But with a fire stick as long as the cable and connection is good as well as most of the antenna being above the top of your rig it should be good. Maybe the radio noise and range issue is rf interference. I deal with it a lot at work with vehicle pcm throwing noise out.

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I run a cb in all my vehicles. My daily has a compact uniden with a magnet mount antenna on roof. Any of my other builds have had my galaxy ( cant remember the model) and verious different antennas. The best one that my galaxy has liked was the wilson trucker 2000. An upgraded noise canceling mic and external speaker are key to me. Have never had a problem hearing or being heard. Most guys were we go wheeling run cbs due to cost so i know i can reach some one. We also have sena 20s rigged up in a couple friends rigs to easily talk back and forth.

Vandy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Okc
I just pulled the trigger on one for a trip in the next couple weeks. Went with a portable Midland 75-882
Nothing special but until I figure out what I want to hard mount in my new truck, it will do for the small hill Texas trip.

Reactions: mylilpwny

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

@Vandy you can never go wrong with a Cobra 29. I don't know much about the new digital screen and bluetooth ones, But the original style are great radios. I used one for many years that came out of my grandparents Rv from the mid 80s. They are usually not to expensive either.

Last edited: