CB Radio (merged thread)

• HTML tutorial

NorthStar96

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Communication with others is one of the most important things you should add to your vehicle.

Whether its Cb or ham radio, it can save you and yours lives when your out in the wilds..

Definitely invest into the best you can afford in this area. We have a member named @Lars who can snswer any technical questions you might have in regards to Amature Ham radio.

lots of other members we have, use ham and CB radios.

KicknDirt

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Huntington Beach, CA
Member #

So my friends and I often use UHF handhelds similar to the Motorola CP200. They are great portable units we as a team can use together. It becomes a problem when we are trying to talk with others not on out freq. we used them in Mojave for about 2 miles before we lost signal with each other. They are a nice way to start and because we have them it works. However all that said I am investing in a vehicle mounted ham option soon.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Read the recent thread on different communication tools. If the people you go out with don't have CB it's pretty pointless. I would rather have a Ham (AND know how to use it) for solo adventures.

Reactions: NorthStar96

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
I carry a pair of FRS/GMRS handheld radios. One for me and one for whoever needs one. Anyone else with a radio that uses those FCC defined bands (most brands names) can communicate with my radios. I haven't had distance or even small hills create too many issues as long as we stay reasonably close on a trail.

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
I am still trying to figure out where in my Tacoma I could put a CB. I am thinking in the cubby in front of the cup holders but I have a lot of stuff in there that I need to find a better home for first.

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

I am still trying to figure out where in my Tacoma I could put a CB. I am thinking in the cubby in front of the cup holders but I have a lot of stuff in there that I need to find a better home for first.
take a look at the "mobile antenna farm" link in my signature.

As for CB or Ham... honestly I think you should have both. Ham gear (especially HF) is the only reasonably sure fire way to get comms out regardless of how remote you are. VHF/UHF gear running FM is fantastic in groups where everyone is licensed. In Moab at rock Therapy that was the case and it was amazing.

CB is what I consider the lowest common denominator. I guess FRS is likely the lowest common denominator, but it works so poorly inside a car (-28db...) that they almost don't count while driving.

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

I was just looking at the Midland 75-822 CB reviews on Amazon. For the one's that bought it, how do you like it and what kind of a antenna do you guys use?

Luis Merlo

OB1962

Influencer II

Collingwood Park, Queensland,4301
First Name
Luis
Last Name
Merlo
Member #

I was just looking at the Midland 75-822 CB reviews on Amazon. For the one's that bought it, how do you like it and what kind of a antenna do you guys use?
The stock antenna is not too bad for close range stuff....in the car i use a whip on a mount....http://www.jaycar.com.au/Sight-&-Sound-Car/Car-Audio-Hardware/Car-Hardware-Accessories/3-Foot-27MHz-Helical-Whip/p/DC2030
and when on foot i usually hook up the Cobra telescopic antenna...http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cobra-HATA-Telescopic-Whip-Antenna-/191534366072
and at home well, i go nuts......

Cheers

Attachments

Reactions: Mike G

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

The stock antenna is not too bad for close range stuff....in the car i use a whip on a mount....http://www.jaycar.com.au/Sight-&-Sound-Car/Car-Audio-Hardware/Car-Hardware-Accessories/3-Foot-27MHz-Helical-Whip/p/DC2030
and when on foot i usually hook up the Cobra telescopic antenna...http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cobra-HATA-Telescopic-Whip-Antenna-/191534366072
and at home well, i go nuts......

Cheers
Thanks for the information Luis! I really like that Cobra Telescopic antenna! Under normal conditions, what kind of range do you get with the Cobra antenna. Also, you have to tell me what the home station in the photo is all about.

Luis Merlo

OB1962

Influencer II

First Name
Luis
Last Name
Merlo
Member #

If you are in the vehicle there is no better option that an external antenna, the vehicle acts like a steel cage as far as the radio is concerned...on foot i have gotten about 7 to 8 kms with the cobra, that was in suburbia...so in the open landscape you should get a better range !

Luis Merlo

OB1962

Influencer II

First Name
Luis
Last Name
Merlo
Member #

The home set up is the radio with an SO239 adaptor which allows me to connect a Workman B100 external antenna on a 5 meter mast, i run a 30 amp power supply to power the linear amp KL203P...i have a clock / hygrometer and external speaker set up on the home made rack !

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Any antenna by Wilson. Do go cheap. Antenna is what makes the radio good or bad for the most part. I have a Lil Wilson but the next size up with a 60" antenna or more is even better.

Reactions: Luis Merlo