CB Radio (merged thread)

• HTML tutorial

Vandy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Okc
Hey fellas, we are planning a trip here in august. We are taking my wife's truck, and need a cb to keep up with the group we are going with. She would not be too happy with me if I hard mounted anything In her truck. I'm looking for a portable solution that has a decent range. I can run a line to a magnetic Antena if needed but would rather not. Any suggestions? I've looked at several on amazon that seem to have good reviews. But I'll take yall word over amazons

Thanks
Vandy

CQBSquirrel

Rank II

Member II

I just got the Midland 75-822 with the Midland magnet antenna. So far I'm very happy with it. It is a hand held with a car kit (Antenna sold separately). It has the NOAA as well. I had to get the separate antenna because the rubber duck antenna just doesn't work inside the vehicle. I will upgrade the antenna to a mounted once I build my bumper. I know it should be at the highest point but I'm a dual purpose kind of guy and want something that will let me know if the rig will fit under things. 1464865877254.jpg

Last edited:

Luis Merlo

OB1962

Influencer II

Collingwood Park, Queensland,4301
First Name
Luis
Last Name
Merlo
Member #

I run the 75-822 also, hooked up a speaker mic....SO239 adaptor gives me access to the external 27MHz fiberglass whip....and when i reach camp i can put the BNC whip back on and use it on foot

10329293_10208205079187724_5326105093392748979_n.jpg

Reactions: NorthStar96

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Hey fellas, we are planning a trip here in august. We are taking my wife's truck, and need a cb to keep up with the group we are going with. She would not be too happy with me if I hard mounted anything In her truck. I'm looking for a portable solution that has a decent range. I can run a line to a magnetic Antena if needed but would rather not. Any suggestions? I've looked at several on amazon that seem to have good reviews. But I'll take yall word over amazons

Thanks
Vandy
We started with this unit before installing a permanent Uniden. You absolutely need the external antenna for any range beyond 20 yards (no joke). We still have this unit and the magnet antenna for lending to folks who join us on trails. It has been an awesome CB for the money.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

CQBSquirrel

Rank II

Member II

We started with this unit before installing a permanent Uniden. You absolutely need the external antenna for any range beyond 20 yards (no joke). We still have this unit and the magnet antenna for lending to folks who join us on trails. It has been an awesome CB for the money.
That video doesn't work for me. What was the loaner CB

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Overland Bound Talk mobile app

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

@stringtwelve Embedded Amazon links do not show up for several of us for some reason, which is why @CQBSquirrel couldn't see it. @Michael has looked at it before, but no joy. For us it just shows a a big blank space.

Here's direct link: http://amzn.to/1sQlz8J

(For those of us that can't see the embedded product in Amazon links, QUOTE the thread, then copy the product ID between the MEDIA tags. Then go to Amazon and paste that product ID in the search box.)

Reactions: Lifestyle Overland

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I just got the Midland 75-822 with the Midland magnet antenna. So far I'm very happy with it. It is a hand held with a car kit (Antenna sold separately). It has the NOAA as well. I had to get the separate antenna because the rubber duck antenna just doesn't work inside the vehicle. I will upgrade the antenna to a mounted once I build my bumper. I know it should be at the highest point but I'm a dual purpose kind of guy and want something that will let me know if the rig will fit under things. View attachment 4556
I have this same unit for the trails. I have a 3' Firestik mounted on the rear of my Jeep. Does decently but I need to get it tuned with an SWR meter. The nice thing about this Midland, when on the trails, if I'm out of the Jeep spotting someone, I can put the rubber antenna on and talk to the drivers.

Vandy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Okc
Thanks guys. I've been tossing around these:
Midland 75-822
Cobra HH 38
Cobra 75wxst

I will end up having something hard mounted in my tacoma, be it a cb or ham, but for this trip we are taking the 4runner and need something to talk to our group. Not sure on the range we need. It depends on how many show up. IF we get as many people as we have saying they are going right now. We will be in several small groups so I may need more range.

Rob

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Bay Area, CA
Member #

Thanks guys. I've been tossing around these:
Midland 75-822
Cobra HH 38
Cobra 75wxst

I will end up having something hard mounted in my tacoma, be it a cb or ham, but for this trip we are taking the 4runner and need something to talk to our group. Not sure on the range we need. It depends on how many show up. IF we get as many people as we have saying they are going right now. We will be in several small groups so I may need more range.
I started with the Midland but didnt like how bulky it felt in my hands. I ended up switching to the Cobra and loving it.

Since you don't want to hard wire anything, I'd say just go with the Midland + magnetic antenna on the roof. If you need range, then HAM is the way to go. You could just get a cheap Beofung handheld + magnetic antenna. Of course using the HAM setup would be assuming enough people in your traveling group also have their HAM license.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Mag mount antenna, cheap radio of choice. Build a cup holder mount with the included bracket and a plastic drain like for a shower drain to fit a cup holder. Plug into cigarette plug with a plug purchased from where ever. Then it is easy to remove and use as a spare for when you are out on the trails with someone who doesn't have a radio. Like this but verify the proper size, http://www.lowes.com/pd_253247-138-435654___?productId=50315097&pl=1&Ntt=pvc+drain

CBs pretty much stink in the range department. The taller the antenna the better and put it on your roof! Worst case you go in the middle of the group.

Sorry if my grammar ect stinks. I have been up since 3:45AM. Good night

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

I need help. I have been driving myself crazy tossing around the idea of getting a CB radio. I am wondering if I should get one even though most of the time I go out solo or with others who also don't have a CB. Should I invest in a CB or in other gear that will probably be used more. Help. Please.

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

I hardly ever use mine, but when I'm on a trail with others, absolutely invaluable (and entertaining!)

Get a hard mount for your rig and a battery handheld to pass out to your spotter, then close your windows and ignore the peanut gallery and focus on your spotter.

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
This is what I have and it works well with a Firestik, and It isn't hard mounted. You can bring it out on battery and portable antenna or plug into your roof antenna and 12 volt socket and your good to go. They are price sensitive and it has worked well for us.
YES YOU SHOULD have a CB if that's what is needed to com with others in or outside your group.

Last edited: