Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I'm so close to getting my ham licance. I have 3 ham radios, I took the class, studied (online and book), prepared myself for the test and a week before the test, covid came. Now I can't find anyone to administer the test..:(
If you are up for a trip to La Grande or Kennewick, there are tests being administered. The next Kennewick test is in September, next La Grande Test is some time in August. There are also online test.

Reactions: jcgraves3

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I am also planning on getting up there early Thursday.

I will be in my Ram,
View attachment 164676

What is everyone else driving? May be helpful to post a pic of your rig so if Comms break down we will recognize the rig....
We will be driving @KRose 04 4Runner. Can’t miss it with the orange bag on top
F1B33A62-5A54-4756-B2CB-DE3F93339943.jpeg84742F91-3D4A-4CBE-984C-EA05AB350920.jpeg

Reactions: PNW EXPLR

Maedge

Rank III

Member III

Washington, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Etheredge
Member #

Would love to get in on this as my wife and kids are going out of state this weekend. I wouldn't be able to leave until Friday afternoon, though, and being this new into overlanding I haven't quite figured out what to do with both of my dogs.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Send @MrWilsonWJ a Dm... personally I don’t care if more get added to the group, but it’s not my call. As for dogs, Mr. Wilson is bring his and I’m bringing mine...

Be warned my dog is kind of aggressive the first day at camp, but by the second day she is cool with everything. I kind of want to introduce her to everyone before we hit the road.

Reactions: Maedge

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Would love to get in on this as my wife and kids are going out of state this weekend. I wouldn't be able to leave until Friday afternoon, though, and being this new into overlanding I haven't quite figured out what to do with both of my dogs.
I am also okay with an addition. Should get the group's approval just to make sure everyone is comfortable with it.

Reactions: M Rose and Maedge

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

I'm good with another person coming along as long as the rest of the group is. The non-OB member that was a maybe for this trip can't make it so this would have us back to the original rig count. As for dogs bring them along, if they like to wander bring some lengths of rope for a make shift runner between trees if not let them roam. Our dog is generally off leash when we're in the woods but we can keep her tied up if any of them don't get along. What kind of rig are you running?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
@Maedge pack your bags... looks like you are in on this one.
Give us some intell. What are you driving? How many people, apx what time would you think you would be coming into camp? How do we let you know if we aren’t at one of the predetermined camp sites? We are running CB and FRS for coms, do you have either or both? I have spares, just need to know if I need to bring them or not.

Im very very excited... Thursday can’t get here soon enough.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Before I forget, in addition to some signage, I will be tuned in on channel 15 my CB and FRS handheld.
Sounds good, we can run those channels on the way up and we'll try to make contact as we get closer. You and Mike D. (@PNW EXPLR ) might be getting up there about the same time if he leaves when he was wanting to. Might talk with him about possibly meeting up on the way in if times work for the both of you. Also a little about the road going in so you know what to expect... First 11 miles off of HWY 410 up to Bumping lake campground are paved, the next 3 or so miles are dirt road with rocks and pot holes, kind of rough. The last 1-2 miles the road is a little more beat up, same rocks but there is also ruts and some tree roots to navigate around. All is fine for 2wd and full size... I saw a car up there on my last trip, not sure what his undercarriage looked like when he was done but he made it in there.

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Before I forget, in addition to some signage, I will be tuned in on channel 15 my CB and FRS handheld.
I will have my HT that “can” TX on FRS. So channel 15. Just make sure your not using any side channels or private modes.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
@MrWilsonWJ the Rose Clan plans have changed, we are leaving out of La Grande at 8 am to meet up with Mike D and convoy up with him. The cooler we are waiting on should be here tomorrow instead of Thursday.... if it’s not here tomorrow then the other tracker on it says Friday, so we won’t be sticking around to find out.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

@MrWilsonWJ the Rose Clan plans have changed, we are leaving out of La Grande at 8 am to meet up with Mike D and convoy up with him. The cooler we are waiting on should be here tomorrow instead of Thursday.... if it’s not here tomorrow then the other tracker on it says Friday, so we won’t be sticking around to find out.
That works, looks like I'll be the last one getting up there. There was another person from Kennewick that had RSVP'd but I haven't heard anything from him since, even sent him a DM last week and no reply. Hopefully I'm not later then 5

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Mine does up to Chanel 22,

Di I need to rig up my CB, or is FRS going to be good enough?
I dont have CB. Will be using a HT . if everybody had a HT we could use MURS freqs

Reactions: M Rose