Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

This will be a 3 night base camp type trip the weekend of 8/1. Plan is to arrive Thursday afternoon/evening run some trails on Friday and Saturday then head home Sunday. Camp Location will be near Bumping Lake. Trails will be a loop into the Little Naches area up to Ravens Roost and one up around Bethel Ridge.

View Rally Point

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

These are the planned runs for Friday and Saturday at the moment, both are easy consisting of mostly FS roads. Depending on who decides to come and how challenging they want things to get we can change things up and head for harder trails.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Lily Lake- About a Half mile from planned camp
20200523_142133.jpg
View From Ravens Roost
20200710_113926.jpg
Top of Timberwolf Mtn.
20200606_142839.jpg
Different spots around Bethel Ridge
53665 (1).jpeg
20200524_171233.jpg
20200524_151832.jpg
20200524_130740.jpg

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Are we convoying to the camp site, or on our own to get there?
I'm fine with a convoy, but I can't guarantee what time I'll be able to leave on Thursday. Seems like it always takes an hour longer to get out of work than I want it to. If people are ok being on standby I can let you know when I'm heading home then we can roll out, or we can plan for a little later meet up time to give me a chance to get home. People can always meet us up there or along the way if they want.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
We are flexible, we can push back the time to fallow you up Dustin, or if some one else wants to lead us up that would be fine as well.

What are we going to use for trail coms? Need to figure out how to configure my Go-Box

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

With water being so close, fishing sounds like a good option... what are the laws inflatables in Washington? Do we need a boat license or invasive species permit?
Yes anyone that likes to fish, there is two small lakes close by you can walk into (about 1/4 mile walk) and Bumping Lake is decent sized and about a 4-5 miles drive from camp, there is also two rivers pretty close. As for laws on inflatables I'm not sure.

Reactions: M Rose

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

We are flexible, we can push back the time to fallow you up Dustin, or if some one else wants to lead us up that would be fine as well.

What are we going to use for trail coms? Need to figure out how to configure my Go-Box
For coms I still only have CB and some little FRS hand helds. We can see who else decides to come and what they have for coms. But you can tune your ham to pick up FRS right?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
For coms I still only have CB and some little FRS hand helds. We can see who else decides to come and what they have for coms. But you can tune your ham to pick up FRS right?
No I can’t tune in FRS on my ham yet. we are taking my wife’s 4Runner for this trip wich doesn’t and won’t have dedicated coms... but if we run CB, I have a nice Galaxy 959 with mag mount antenna that I can toss in to her rig... we also have the little FRS radios.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Sounds like FRS or CB might be our go to for this run, which on the trail either of those will be fine. Looking at the RP there is still one open spot for this trip, once all 5 spots are full we can hash out some of these details.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

I will be driving up from Portland on Thursday, so I can meeting up if we decide on a place / time. I also have a CB I can bring.
Welcome to the trip! So far it looks like you and @M Rose have the farthest drive, but I think he plans to meet up with us that are leaving from the Tri Cities and convoying over. My plan is to get out of work around noon Thursday, get home, get loaded and be on the road around 2.... But we'll have to see, usually when I try to leave early things happen that keep me here longer. From the tri cities it's about 2 hours to the turn off of hwy 410 where you start heading back into the camp location and about 4 depending on where you are in Portland. The camp site is really easy to find, just one turn off of 410 and drive 16 miles staying to the right at the two Y's you'll come to and once you see the out house turn left. So we can plan to meet up at the turn off on 410 or I can send you better directions and a pin for the site, whichever you prefer and if all goes well I should make camp 4:30-5:30.

How many people will be in your group? For me It will be me, my wife and Tinkbell (100+lb Great Dane/Mastiff)

For Coms either a CB or hand held FRS sounds like what well be using, I forgot to ask @Mike B. what he had.

If we get another person to commit to the trip in the next couple days we can start talking more about the details (don't want to have to go over things multiple times) But if no one else RSVP's by this weekend we'll start hashing out the little things.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
There will be 3, maybe 4 of us plus the little dog. CB and FRS sounds good, I’ll bring my HF rig too just in case we need to make a long distance cry out for help.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

As of now, there will be two of us coming. We will leave Portland around 10AM on Thursday, so we should get there around 2 ish.
Sounds good, I want to get on the road as early as possible but it sounds like you'll make it to camp a couple hours before us. I would think getting in there that early on Thursday the spot i'm shooting for would still be open but I'll come up with coordinates for some other near by spots as back up.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Got it.. send me the coordinates and I will secure the site.
46.83289, -121.35119 is the location for camp. Like I mentioned before getting there is super easy, Turn south off of Hwy 410 onto Bumping River Rd. once you pass the campground and day use area it turns to dirt and is called NFDR 1800 follow the signs for Fish Lake Way Trail head, first Y you come to will be for Deep Creek Rd, stay right to stay on 1800, next Y is for 1809/Granite Lake again stay right. The camp ground is about 1.8 miles past the 2nd Y, there will be an out house (not sure if it will be unlocked) on the left, if you turn left at the out house it goes down into a little loop with some spots, that area was my first choice. The road isn't that good from the 2nd Y on to the camp ground so I think it keeps most people from heading in there to camp, but the spot is one of the better ones I've been to in the area. I'll add a link with a track starting at HWY 410.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

46.83200, -121.37026
46.83309, -121.31248
46.83415, -121.34367

Those are locations for other possible camps if the first choice is taken, not to sure how big the last one is I just remember there was a spot there. Also if the original location is taken there is a graveled portion of the horse camp to the right of the out house that would work, they're just bigger spots for people with stock trailers.