Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Very nice.. we just got our OE Gazelle T4 too.
We've been eyeing the Gazelle tents lately. Right now we have a Kelty Kingdome 6, size wise it's great and it packs up small-ish. The draw back is it's still a dome tent that takes a little longer to set up and tare down. I really like how fast the Gazelle goes up but I'm not sold yet on how big it is when packed.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

That’s awfully small... the tent and awning both measure 6.5 feet packed up... but it does look like a good product. @KRose wants a specific rack... as it will allow the sunroof to still open and has mounts for a light bar.
Ya, even with the extension you would probably have to have the tent on it at an angle which wouldn't be very helpful for packing other stuff up there. If I ever dropped the coin on a Gazelle I would have to scrap my current roof basket and build something custom that would fit it and my cargo boxes. I already have some ideas for a rack I want to build once I have some other projects done, but really that won't happen until winter or next year at the rate I'm getting things done. I still haven't even got my rear bumper done that I was wanting to have done this spring... what the hell have I been doing with my time!?! That's right, work... I guess something has to pay for this hobby

• Love
Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Ya, even with the extension you would probably have to have the tent on it at an angle which wouldn't be very helpful for packing other stuff up there. If I ever dropped the coin on a Gazelle I would have to scrap my current roof basket and build something custom that would fit it and my cargo boxes. I already have some ideas for a rack I want to build once I have some other projects done, but really that won't happen until winter or next year at the rate I'm getting things done. I still haven't even got my rear bumper done that I was wanting to have done this spring... what the hell have I been doing with my time!?! That's right, work... I guess something has to pay for this hobby
Hey don’t feel bad Dustin, my transmission was supposed to be in the Bronco back in March, and the winch installed back in April... I’m working on the winch right now, but the transmission isn’t going to happen until late August at the soonest... might have to hold off for a bit longer as I need some engine work done, and just found my steering gear box puking put fluid. Grrr... I just want 40,000 so I can do everything I want to do to the rig right now and just go play.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Is it Thursday yet??? I have no motivation to work this week, I just want to pack up and roll out to the woods. I guess since we only have 3 days before this trip we should make any last minute plans or changes if need be. I'll throw out what we got so far and some of my thoughts. Anyone with ideas for this weekend speak up.

Departure: John (@jcgraves3) is leaving from Portland around 10 with arrival to camp around 2 and will finds us a spot. If our first option is out what is the plan for contact or signage to find you?

Convoy from Kennewick- My plan is to ditch work at noon and be ready to leave by 2. If you guys don't want to be on stand by for a time to leave I'm 100% OK with you guys heading up before me. If you're ok with stand by I can let you know as soon as I'm leaving the farm and we can figure roll out 2 hours from then (30min home and an hour 30 to load up)

Mike (@M Rose) will be coming up from La Grande to convoy over with us leaving from Kennewick. Mike, it looks like a 2 hour drive from La Grande to Kennewick, how much extra notice would you need to get the rig packed and be on the road?

Mike (@PNW EXPLR ) and Mike (@Mike B. ) Since you are both in Kennewick things should be simple, we just need to pick a central location to meet up at.
.....3 Michael's on this trip we might need to come up with some call signs for you guys on the radio or something, this could get confusing!

I also saw we had the 5th spot on the RSVP get filled by @ShooterG coming from Bremerton. Whats your thoughts/plans for meeting up with us?

Meals/Camp: For this I think everyone should be on there own for food to keep social distance. I really like doing group meals, but this just isn't the time for it. If we get the spot I want it's plenty big for everyone to set up spread out. I think we would still be fine to have a central fire to hang out by.

Trail Runs: We can discuss this one more at camp, but one will be pretty much a full day outing. The other is shorter and closer to camp so we can either add another short one on to it or come back to hang out at camp/fish/play at the lake/hike. I guess depending on what we do the short day we can always do a run Sunday either before packing up or something on the way out.

Coms: Looks to be CB and/or FRS. Who has what? And what channels should we plan to be running?

Weather: Looks to be awesome! So far I'm seeing around 90 Thursday and upper 70's the rest of the time with lows in the 50's. These numbers might be a little on the high side for where we'll be but should be close. If it's going to be this warm, a jump in the lake might have to happen.
20200523_081753.jpg
And just for fun here is a picture of our planned camp site, it's a big open clearing with maybe 3 or 4 trees in the middle and I think 5 spots around the perimeter I figured someone could be in the middle by the trees if we have 6 rigs.

Reactions: PNW EXPLR

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
@MrWilsonWJ i am packing up Wednesday, all except for my cooler which should be here Thursday by noon. As soon as I get the cooler into the 4Runner we should be able to hit the road. Yes, the trip takes me about 2 hours to get to Columbia Center Mall. Tomorrow I’m heading to Kennewick to meet up with Mike D. So I will have a better time to report tomorrow.
Coms.... CB and FRS sounds good, we should give @jcgraves3 a contact number so he can send out a confirmation of where he is. John, do you have a ham license? If So do you have APRS capabilities?

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

@MrWilsonWJ and team we are still on target to be there by 2 or sooner. We will bring some signage maternal and provide some coordinates once we get there.
Cell service up there is pretty limited unless you go to the top of a peak somewhere. So you would most likely have to go out to the highway and head towards Naches or Cayuse pass to find service.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

I never checked when I went up there, but I was told there is service up above granite lake which would only be 5-7 miles from camp... 5-7 slow, rocky, bumpy miles. But if you guys are getting there before us you'd have plenty of time to cruise up there and see if you can find service. When I was up there a few weeks ago there was still snow and we made it about a mile from Miners ridge which is about 6,000'.

jcgraves3

NorthWest Region Member Rep's Portland OR
Investor

Influencer I

Crescent City, Putnam County, Florida, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Graves
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7RJJ
I'm so close to getting my ham licance. I have 3 ham radios, I took the class, studied (online and book), prepared myself for the test and a week before the test, covid came. Now I can't find anyone to administer the test..:(

Reactions: Boppa's Travels

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I am also planning on getting up there early Thursday.

I will be in my Ram,
0606201436a_HDR.jpg

What is everyone else driving? May be helpful to post a pic of your rig so if Comms break down we will recognize the rig....

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

I will be in my Ram,
View attachment 164676

What is everyone else driving? May be helpful to post a pic of your rig so if Comms break down we will recognize the rig....

I will be in my Ram,
View attachment 164676

Lucky! I wish I could take the whole day off and head up in the morning. How early are you planning to head up there?

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
I'm so close to getting my ham licance. I have 3 ham radios, I took the class, studied (online and book), prepared myself for the test and a week before the test, covid came. Now I can't find anyone to administer the test..:(
very few are done is person. HamStudy.org list the online and the few that are in person. I take mine this week.