Plain City, Utah
First Name
Kory
Last Name
Tams
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7UFV
Great write-up! Thanks for taking the time to do the research and put it up for everyone to learn from. It makes me want to purchase a locking box for any of these states I may be travelling through that require it. The Utah CCW is reciprocated in quite a few states, but for those that don't recognize it I'd better be prepared!

bendts

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

A Pasture in Wisconsin
First Name
Bendt
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N0WTR
Wasp/Hornet Spray has a much farther reach than Bear Spray - Just saying. And a can of that laying on your floor is fairly innocent looking.

Reactions: MidOH

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

Wasp/Hornet Spray has a much farther reach than Bear Spray - Just saying. And a can of that laying on your floor is fairly innocent looking.

That can backfire on you like none other legally too! Heard a bunch of horror storys about wasp spray.

bendts

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

A Pasture in Wisconsin
First Name
Bendt
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N0WTR
True, but what can't these days. You want distance between you and any perp. Having someone in your space while you dispense a caustic cloud could backfire on you as well, in more ways than one. There is a reason the Cops have a 21 foot rule.

Reactions: Roam_CO85

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

@salt4life said it best. Its Less than lethal...its not none lethal.. alot of less than lethal still has permanent effects.... wasp spray can permanently blind someone. Yeah he or she is still a threat but legally that can bit you like crazy. In all seriousness and toughness a side. If i view something as a threat and cant get away from that threat or have to engage that threat. That would be the last thing id reach for..

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

True, but what can't these days. You want distance between you and any perp. Having someone in your space while you dispense a caustic cloud could backfire on you as well, in more ways than one. There is a reason the Cops have a 21 foot rule.
Thats true. That seven yards closes in pretty flipping quick. Doing force on force simulation gets a reality of that. Think a situational awareness has alot todo with creating distance. Its more than a police officers rule of thumb. Creating mental triggers and keeping those mental triggers out of your comfort zone because you cant keep the world its self at 21 feet. I have one that if a man or lady are much larger than I am. I’ll keep that distance and keep a wide circle around that person at any point of time. Have a couple more, but will keep that short.

You are right with what cant be held against you these days!

Last edited:

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
I can cover (or used to before the bad knee and foot) that 21 feet darn fast and bet I still can if need to... 21 feet aint crud, especially if caught off guard.

Paranoid or experienced, I have more than one ready to go firearm around me at all times, holster by the front door, one on side of the bed, one beside the couch to give you an idea (Aint having a home invasion) and as a CCW permit (even thought I live in the free State of AZ) I carry ready to rock. That said, I would avoid a pull at almost all cost if possible and seeing it coming.

Last, right or wrong, if I feel a legit red alert for self or family, the threat will be eliminated. Period. I can do life in prison, I can not do life with a loved one dead for my lack of will......

Jim

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

I can cover (or used to before the bad knee and foot) that 21 feet darn fast and bet I still can if need to... 21 feet aint crud, especially if caught off guard.

Paranoid or experienced, I have more than one ready to go firearm around me at all times, holster by the front door, one on side of the bed, one beside the couch to give you an idea (Aint having a home invasion) and as a CCW permit (even thought I live in the free State of AZ) I carry ready to rock. That said, I would avoid a pull at almost all cost if possible and seeing it coming.

Last, right or wrong, if I feel a legit red alert for self or family, the threat will be eliminated. Period. I can do life in prison, I can not do life with a loved one dead for my lack of will......

Jim
Well said Jim. I feel the exact same! Id rather pay the price for defending me and mine. Ill let the police deal with less than lethal. God hope that day will never present itself. Its not being paranoid its just being prepared.

Having a firearm ready to rock= having a round in the tube! I carry religiously chp when its not on my body its with in an arms reach... My Girl always thinks i am crazy because i carry appendix. Get that speech i really dont want that shot off.. pulling and manipulating the slide for a round in 21 feet or less turns a fast draw into a bad draw quick. Carry a glock in a very nice kydex side car holster. Same with off body carry its better to have it than not but its like oh hold my murse ( man purse )or purse. Also can be stripped from you just as fast.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim SoG

Patriot

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Well said Jim. I feel the exact same! Id rather pay the price for defending me and mine. Ill let the police deal with less than lethal. God hope that day will never present itself. Its not being paranoid its just being prepared.

Having a firearm ready to rock= having a round in the tube! I carry religiously chp when its not on my body its with in an arms reach... My Girl always thinks i am crazy because i carry appendix. Get that speech i really dont want that shot off.. pulling and manipulating the slide for a round in 21 feet or less turns a fast draw into a bad draw quick. Carry a glock in a very nice kydex side car holster. Same with off body carry its better to have it than not but its like oh hold my murse ( man purse )or purse. Also can be stripped from you just as fast.
Roam,
Nice to read posts by like minded thinkers regarding EDC. After a long career in Law enforcement I have really enjoyed the comfort of N82 Tactical IWB holsters pre and post retirement.
I have a few and they are amazingly comfortable, it’s the most comfortable IWB I have ever used in my former 35 yr career. Just thought I would pass along my satisfaction with a super comfy carry option. FWIW.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

Roam,
Nice to read posts by like minded thinkers regarding EDC. After a long career in Law enforcement I have really enjoyed the comfort of N82 Tactical IWB holsters pre and post retirement.
I have a few and they are amazingly comfortable, it’s the most comfortable IWB I have ever used in my former 35 yr career. Just thought I would pass along my satisfaction with a super comfy carry option. FWIW.
Those n82 holsters are very nice! A good cross breed holster thats not actually cross breed holsters. I find the leather backing pinches and roughs up my side to much but those n82 holsters have some padding and its nice!! Iwb isn’t always comfortable. But finding the right set up makes it soo much better!!! I run a side car holster from Trex arms with a full size Glock and really like it.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

Roam,
Can i ask what you use for your edc? Much of the retired guys around here are still about the 1911s. Run into a old game warden all the time and he is always dan wesson this and dan wesson that haha. Ive ran a couple kimber pro carrys in my kit and love the action but carrying those all steel 1911s around all day make my pants fall down haha. I like the glock its light fast and can carry 18 rounds with ease.. its always fun to hear a retired police officers edc.. always tend to be minimalists cus theyve been there and know what works.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patriot

Patriot

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

I have a few Glocks I train with and carry. My EDC is usually my G19 or G43 depending what I am wearing. I prefer to look like the last person carrying concealed, no printing and no need to advertise or impress anyone.
I also like and carry my G30s and G27 on occasion. I stick to the Glock platform as this is what works very well for my muscle memory when I train. This comes from many years of former training, qualifying and experience. After many years of carrying Glock’s on the job, I finally attended a Glock Armorers class for fun and feel like I know Glock’s pretty well.

I do have other pistols that I enjoy at the range, they are not EDC’s.

Reactions: Roam_CO85

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

I have a few Glocks I train with and carry. My EDC is usually my G19 or G43 depending what I am wearing. I prefer to look like the last person carrying concealed, no printing and no need to advertise or impress anyone.
I also like and carry my G30s and G27 on occasion. I stick to the Glock platform as this is what works very well for my muscle memory when I train. This comes from many years of former training, qualifying and experience. After many years of carrying Glock’s on the job, I finally attended a Glock Armorers class for fun and feel like I know Glock’s pretty well.

I do have other pistols that I enjoy at the range, they are not EDC’s.
The armorers classes are cool! Ive taken one for the stoner rifle platform.

Reactions: Patriot

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

I don't like things like this. It creates a "different class of citizen" which somehow holds more rights than others.
Kevin, If I understand you correctly you are saying, the fact that HR218 LEOSA provides that if you are a Peace Officer in good standing then you can carry anywhere in the USA provided you follow the state laws in which you are carrying. The part that "creates a (different class of citizen) which somehow holds rights over others." is that you and I with the same or superior training cannot carry nationwide yet they can. Did I get this right? If so I agree with you, this should state that if you have the proper training that one is allowed to carry nationwide while abiding by the laws of the respective states in which you are traveling. I don't think the LE officers that responded here understood what you are saying.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness

Much of the equipment that I service in the field gets wasps in it. New wasp sprays might be safe, no burn, nearly useless.

I can't think of a responsible way to test if you got mace-like wasp spray, or the painless kind. It might be because of this.......

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

Much of the equipment that I service in the field gets wasps in it. New wasp sprays might be safe, no burn, nearly useless.

I can't think of a responsible way to test if you got mace-like wasp spray, or the painless kind. It might be because of this.......
Does wd 40 work for wasps? Was told to use some when wasp spray was out. But just went an got more wasp spray..

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Good info in this thread. I downloaded the recommended apps and will read on....

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

So here's a question about this topic... was in the sporting goods store the other day. Stocking up on some ammo and they had a huge display for bear deterrent. Had bells and pepper spray. But they had rubber baton shotshells.. Had me thinking about this post. I am all for less lethal and know bear bells and pepper spray aren't the greatest option. I am assuming the rubber bullets would really piss a bear off. I was handed rock salt shell by a game warden once to keep bears out of dumpster and grain shed. Would you go up against a bear with rubber rounds? Id pretty much just bend over and kiss my butt good bye!
When I was growing up on a cattle ranch in central Texas, I shot the neighbors two dogs with rock salt because I didn't want to kill them, they were my neighbors dogs. They had killed 3 goats and 2 newborn Beef-master calves and quite frankly we could not afford to loose any more. So when I shot them both in their butts with the rock salt as they were about to kill another goat, they ran screaming under the neighbors house. The next day the sheriff showed up at our place with our neighbor. When I told the sheriff what I had done and why, he said the only reason I was not going to jail was because I was a stupid kid. He said if it comes to a point that you HAVE to shoot an animal then you shoot to kill it, but wounding an animal is just cruel. He went on to say the animal cannot reason and does not know the pain will go away and will drive them insane. He said the dogs did deserve to be killed because they were killing livestock but did not deserve to be wounded with rock salt. The sheriff gave me a warning and our neighbor was supper pissed off, the sheriff then told our neighbor he owed us for the goats and calves his dogs killed. Needless to say our neighbor never talked to us again.

So all this to say, what are you trying to do, Scare the bear off or is your life in imminent danger? I think this is where the trouble lies, you wake to find a bear licking the plates from last nights dinner you didn't clean and put away and you freekout. Is you life in danger? Is the bear attacking you? Will the bear attack or just wonder off? I believe people destroy more animals out of fear rather than real danger.