OB Approved Camping with Firearms

• HTML tutorial

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

.45-70 is good, but it is a rifle cartridge; the discussion started as a "carry" weapon discussion, as in hand gun discussion. There are more rifle calibers big enough for brown bear, as rifles have far greater velocity compared to a hand gun.
.45-70 Revolver.
https://www.magnumresearch.com/bfr-big-frame-revolver/

I would still carry a carbine in bear country. A Henry 45-70 only weighs about 6# and it's far easier to aim and fire in a stressful situation than a pistol.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

Regardless of the circumstances I always have a fire arm in arms reach if absolutely needed. When it comes to solo camping I can would rather have a firearm than not. It is up to the campers discretion if he or she wants to load LTL's or Lethal ammunition for a defense scenario.

Use common sense (even though it aint so common anymore) to justify critically injuring or killing an animal in a serious defense situation. The last thing any one wants to do is take a life without any reason behind doing so. --- Nobody really knows how they will react with their primitive survival instincts embedded inside their DNA until that rare moment arrives. That's why it is imperative to train with a fire arm in case that time does occur. Stay prepared & stay Frosty!

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

Less-Than-Lethal is fine for animals, but I would not recommend it for defense against people. Most states specify that before you can use a firearm in self defense, you must be in fear for your life or at risk of significant injury. The firearm is not the ammunition, and the law typically does not differentiate between lethal and less-than-lethal rounds. Of course, this will vary by state; some states, such as Texas, allow for the use of deadly force to defend property.

Employing a firearm should be the last option, by the time anyone draws or raises a gun in defense it should be absolutely clear that there is no other option. The only report one should have to give to the police is "My life was/the lives of my family were in imminent danger, I shot to end the threat then called for help." Using less-than-lethal rounds can be problematic because it 1) might not end the threat and 2) opens you up to both criminal and civil proceedings if the DA or the aggressor decide that you were not justified enough to employ a firearm with less-than-lethal rounds.

It's best to leave less-than-lethal firearm ammunition to the police, who have qualified immunity. If you are going to use a LTL option, make sure it is bear spray or something that is not in any way a firearm.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

Ive read a few of these but didnt read them all. Am a firm believer of having a firearm to protect yourself. Also a firm believer if you intend to use it for self defense to get formal training with it and learn it inside and out. knowing the laws for every state that you go into. This day and age a firearm convo is touchy.

Carrying everyday is a norm for me. So in the urban area or out on a trek something is always on me or an arms reach away! Ive spent alot of time in the back country horseback or hiking and backpacking and exploring new areas with the rig. Seems like you find more and more people venturing out into the forests to cut lose with drugs and alcohol or just being stupid. Ran into alot more people problems than animals.

The sad thing is you really cant trust ether. Guiding hunters you come across bears and predators alot of times going into a hunting spot 2 am or packing the game out. But like some have said if you have something they want theyll bother you if you dont you can normally get away from the situation.

With people its the deal where you dont know what you are going to run into. From my experiences people influenced by drugs and alcohol do some pretty stupid stuff. On public use land. You get people that dont respect things like they should and come across stuff that makes a person wonder WTF a huge amount of time..

Defusing the situation is always the first and best situation. But I know for a fact that the world isnt always a safe place. Always try to be the low key type more than hard target. But always open carry in the forest. Have had a few times where that person saw I was carrying and stopped what they were doing. Pray I will never need it but its there.

The topic of non lethal is great but id never trust a can of bear spray. Ive seen it drift back into the face of a person using it. Ive seen a police officer deploy a tazer 3 times on a guy that never did anything.

If someone is trying to take something from me that isn’t my life or anyone else’s life. That item can be replaced. Was always told that if that weapon comes out of your holster visualize your house. Your family. Your truck and anything else that you hold close because if something happens and you have to use that weapon. It could be the last time you see ether.

Its hard to believe that the world is full of threats and its all draped in camouflage. Guess the long story short is that anyone using a weapon for self defense should be fluent in the language of laws and know how to use it. Because all of our goals are the same. To stay safe have a fun time and put miles on them tires. Be the reality of public land and its users are scary so always be ready!! For man or beast!

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

My 2 cents, is carry if your comfortable doing so and the law allows you to. You should also have plenty of range time with what you decide to carry. Shot placement is what counts.
Agree!! Its worth more than two cents.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

As others have said national park and forest usually a no go unless your hunting with permit during season, state parks usally the same deal if there is a wildlife management area to hunt, i think these are awful laws for self defense aspect bit i understand its there to help keep poaching down.

Firemom

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador

Pioneer III

Rapid City, Meade County, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Deb
Last Name
Lee (Ironhorse Overland)
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKU
Service Branch
Army Reserves
Let me start by saying this is not a pro or anti- gun article. This is about responsibility, safety and a little about the law. As a person who mostly does solo camping in remote areas, I feel comfortable with a gun on or near me to deal with any predators whether they are animal or human. With over 30 years of training and handling various firearms, my preference will always be to diffuse a situation and find the quickest exit. This being said, a firearm may or may not be something you're comfortable with.

Being in California, I can only speak to our state laws. Since Overland Bound crosses many borders, I urge anyone interested in carrying a weapon to check their local and state laws; it’s only a Google away.

When transporting a concealable firearm [handgun] in a vehicle it MUST be kept unloaded in a locked container or vehicle trunk. This means stuffed between the seats, glove box or console is not legal. Anyone with a permit to carry a concealed weapon [CCW] is exempt. Long nonconcealable firearms such as unloaded shotguns and rifles are also exempt. Firearms ARE allowed on BLM land as well as most national parks. As of 2010 guns ARE allowed in all but 20 of the 392 national parks. Yellowstone, Grand Canyon Yosemite are part of the park system that allows firearms. Where they are NOT allowed is the visitor centers and the ranger stations. This is because firearms are not allowed in federal buildings. Also whether it's national forest or parks they mostly fall back on local state laws. However, National Forest land requires firearms be unloaded in a case. There are many exemptions regarding hunting season and too many to list here.

Every firearm should be thought of as a tool and not a toy. If you’re going to take on the responsibility of carrying a firearm there are many things to consider such as your familiarity and proficiency with the particular weapon you carry. If you have any doubts, you should visit one of the many public or private shooting ranges as well as gun stores for advice, many offer firearm safety courses.

Safety is the number one priority without question. Always know the condition of your firearm, is it loaded? [Always assume it is] Is the safety on or off? And most importantly, who’s around you? Always keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot and keep the gun pointed in a safe direction. If target practicing, know your background. If you’re in a campground or a location with other people and especially kids, keep you firearms locked away and secured. And of course never mix alcohol or drugs with firearms. This includes prescription medication that might alter you mental or physical well-being.

One non-lethal alternative that I highly recommend is pepper spray. This can legally be carried in all 50 states and I can say from experience, it’s very effective. One or two short bursts to the face of any animal or human and they will be at their knees and incapacitated. I can verify this by experience too.

Although I could go on, I’ll close this with know the laws of the location you’re in or traveling to and there’s no substitute for common sense.
Well written article. Lots of good info. Thank you

Reactions: Narbob

JamesB

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Terrell, TX
First Name
James
Last Name
Mosley
Member #

As others have said national park and forest usually a no go unless your hunting with permit during season, state parks usally the same deal if there is a wildlife management area to hunt, i think these are awful laws for self defense aspect bit i understand its there to help keep poaching down.
Actually, the law was changed in 2010, it is legal to carry concealed in national parks, as long as the state allows concealed carry which the park is located in. But it is not legal to carry in any building owned by the park service including bathrooms. They are considered federal buildings and concealed carry inside such buildings is prohibited by federal law. Just like at the post office.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

So heres a question about this topic... was in the sporting goods store the other day. Stocking up on some ammo and they had a huge display for bear deterrent. Had bells and pepper spray. But they had rubber baton shotshells.. Had me thinking about this post. I am all for less lethal and know bear bells and pepper spray arent the greatest option. I am assuming the rubber bullets would really piss a bear off. I was handed rock salt shell by a game warden once to keep bears out of dumpster and grain shed. Would you go up against a bear with rubber rounds? Id pretty much just bend over and kiss my butt good bye!

Last edited:

Narbob

US West Region Director
Staff member
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

Culver City California
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A
So heres a question about this topic... was in the sporting goods store the other day. Stocking up on some ammo and they had a huge display for bear deterrent. Had bells and pepper spray. But they had rubber baton shotshells.. Had me thinking about this post. I am all for less lethal and know bear bells and pepper spray arent the greatest option. I am assuming the rubber bullets would really piss a bear off. I was handed rock salt shell by a game warden once to keep bears out of dumpster and grain shed. Would you go up against a bear with rubber rounds? Id pretty much just bend over and kiss my butt good bye!
I do agree with you that most less than lethal options would just piss a bear off. Bear spray might buy you some time for a hasty getaway, but not much time. If running away, always try for downhill as their shorter front legs make them unstable, otherwise they’ll be on you like stink on a ...bear. And for that kiss goodbye, make it a quick one, no time for happy endings.

KRGibbs

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor III

Belmont, CA
Member #

I do agree with you that most less than lethal options would just piss a bear off. Bear spray might buy you some time for a hasty getaway, but not much time. If running away, always try for downhill as their shorter front legs make them unstable, otherwise they’ll be on you like stink on a ...bear. And for that kiss goodbye, make it a quick one, no time for happy endings.
As I think was referenced earlier, if not easy to search for. Bear pray was significantly more effective in close quarters bear incidents than firearms. 67% vs 92% (i think) uninjured, and those that were injured while using bear spray sustained minor injuries not requiring hospitalization. The difficulty of accurately drawing and shooting a charging bear often times in brush or forest is pretty challenging and took an average of 4 shots to stop the bear.

To be fair it was one study and not a huge data pool but still it was pretty persuasive.

Anecdotally I have been pepper srayed and I have been bear sprayed. Bear spray is significantly more debilitating.

Additionally. The kiss good by could take awhile bears aren't really predators. They don't go for a quick kill. He would have a while as it held him down and ate him.

Ditcherman

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sheridan, IN, USA
Member #

I think the rubber shotshells are so people can "feel" better (less guilty) about our interaction with nature. If the gun is drawn, it's to kill, not to scare, maim, or warn. And as has been stated above, I will trust bear spray more than my gun when it comes down to it.

Ditcherman

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sheridan, IN, USA
Member #

Anecdotally I have been pepper srayed and I have been bear sprayed. Bear spray is significantly more debilitating.

I was wondering if we could shoot you as well so we could finally end the debate about which is better, bear spray or firearms? You just sound like a glutton for punishment...:grinning:

KRGibbs

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor III

Belmont, CA
Member #

I was wondering if we could shoot you as well so we could finally end the debate about which is better, bear spray or firearms? You just sound like a glutton for punishment...:grinning:
So far I have avoided that. I'd like to keep that trend going. Though the bear spray incident occurred when I was slower to act than if the guy had a gun. In a similar instance I have had a gun pulled on me in anger. So accounting for that the bear spray was still more effective.

Ditcherman

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sheridan, IN, USA
Member #

So far I have avoided that. I'd like to keep that trend going. Though the bear spray incident occurred when I was slower to act than if the guy had a gun. In a similar instance I have had a gun pulled on me in anger. So accounting for that the bear spray was still more effective.
Ok, for some reason I'm inclined to believe you. And I'm not sure I want to hang out with you, lots of good stories though!