Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

When I was growing up on a cattle ranch in central Texas, I shot the neighbors two dogs with rock salt because I didn't want to kill them, they were my neighbors dogs. They had killed 3 goats and 2 newborn Beef-master calves and quite frankly we could not afford to loose any more. So when I shot them both in their butts with the rock salt as they were about to kill another goat, they ran screaming under the neighbors house. The next day the sheriff showed up at our place with our neighbor. When I told the sheriff what I had done and why, he said the only reason I was not going to jail was because I was a stupid kid. He said if it comes to a point that you HAVE to shoot an animal then you shoot to kill it, but wounding an animal is just cruel. He went on to say the animal cannot reason and does not know the pain will go away and will drive them insane. He said the dogs did deserve to be killed because they were killing livestock but did not deserve to be wounded with rock salt. The sheriff gave me a warning and our neighbor was supper pissed off, the sheriff then told our neighbor he owed us for the goats and calves his dogs killed. Needless to say our neighbor never talked to us again.

So all this to say, what are you trying to do, Scare the bear off or is your life in imminent danger? I think this is where the trouble lies, you wake to find a bear licking the plates from last nights dinner you didn't clean and put away and you freekout. Is you life in danger? Is the bear attacking you? Will the bear attack or just wonder off? I believe people destroy more animals out of fear rather than real danger.
I agree with you on everything in your post! Was taught at a young age the same lesson you were.

I am not afraid of the wildlife around here. Attacks are extremely rare and bears around here are big rats. You yell at them they run off. Quite honestly if it came to an attack wouldnt rely on less than lethal. If its a threat its a threat!

You are correct again most bear problems come from people not prepping or cleaning up correctly for them being in the area.

I dont carry for the wildlife. Years spent packing horses into the back country. You learn to live around them. Carried for protection and honestly if god forbid i had to put a horse down due to illness or injury. Hours and hours from help you had to be alot of different people under one hat.

I carry everyday...camping is just another day. The two legged threats are my main worry. Wildlife. You leave them alone theyll leave you alone.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Does wd 40 work for wasps? Was told to use some when wasp spray was out. But just went an got more wasp spray..

I used brake clean. Watch out for plastic though.

Anything in a can pretty much kills wasps.

Reactions: Griff

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
Kevin, If I understand you correctly you are saying, the fact that HR218 LEOSA provides that if you are a Peace Officer in good standing then you can carry anywhere in the USA provided you follow the state laws in which you are carrying. The part that "creates a (different class of citizen) which somehow holds rights over others." is that you and I with the same or superior training cannot carry nationwide yet they can. Did I get this right? If so I agree with you, this should state that if you have the proper training that one is allowed to carry nationwide while abiding by the laws of the respective states in which you are traveling. I don't think the LE officers that responded here understood what you are saying.
Anyone is Law Enforcement is already a "different class of citizen". A citizen who has had extensive training with Frank the Ranger and Tactical Bob might be better trained than a qualified Officer/Agent but could be questionable. A couple of months of training by self identified "experts" certainly does not replace , in my case, 25 years of quarterly training along with qualifications. Sounds the HR218 this has been a cause for some envy.

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

If so I agree with you, this should state that if you have the proper training that one is allowed to carry nationwide while abiding by the laws of the respective states in which you are traveling. I don't think the LE officers that responded here understood what you are saying.
I haven't followed this thread, but yes, I'm for Constitutional carry whereby being able to legally own a firearm is all the permission you need to carry whatever you like wherever you go - per the Second Amendment.

I am completely against special rights for select government employees. I also don't agree with the requirement of special training because that's a backdoor way to ban carry. That's basically what DC did for quite some time. To own a gun in DC, you had to buy a gun there, but they didn't allow any gun stores to open, creating a de facto ban on ownership. Required training could be abused the same way.

Here in VA, open carry is legal and common. Anyone 18 or older who can legally own a gun can place their handgun in a visible holster and carry basically everywhere except schools and court.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I haven't followed this thread, but yes, I'm for Constitutional carry whereby being able to legally own a firearm is all the permission you need to carry whatever you like wherever you go - per the Second Amendment.

I am completely against special rights for select government employees. I also don't agree with the requirement of special training because that's a backdoor way to ban carry. That's basically what DC did for quite some time. To own a gun in DC, you had to buy a gun there, but they didn't allow any gun stores to open, creating a de facto ban on ownership. Required training could be abused the same way.

Here in VA, open carry is legal and common. Anyone 18 or older who can legally own a gun can place their handgun in a visible holster and carry basically everywhere except schools and court.
You make some very valid points. Way to often now people react with whats in their chest, and not what sits on their shoulders. Feel good individuals, and publicity hound politicians put forward legislation that when scrutinized, does not address the problem. They also ignore Constitutional safeguards and continually try work-a rounds, that threaten societies overall well being, by putting barricades between American citizens. Nowadays the thing you hear so often is...We have to do something. When you hear that said, ignorance is in the house. It gives cover to those whose desire, is counter to what made this Country what it is. My opinion, and I would like to think many others, is that.....social media is to blame. Since it became prominent, individuals seeking infamy have used it as inspiration for their deeds, to the detriment of all us citizens.

It never ceases to amaze and frighten me, that so many fail to see what would happen if one of our Constitutional Rights were thrown away. Once one is abridged, they all can be, as indeed they will at some convenient point in the future. It just will take a big public tragedy. It already is happening , and seems to be accelerating. All justified of course, and excused by the shallow thinkers. The chipping away continues as Civics/Government Classes are relegated behind classes on social diversity and political correctness. The .....insert.....RACE?(your choice).../AMERICAN, instead of just American has led to a greater divide in this country not seen since the Civil War.

As posted above......Special rights for some, is just another way of dividing us, individual or Police, or agency, as we are all supposed to be equal under the law, regardless of actual reality. Our founders wanted a class less society different from the rest of the world. Where all had the potential to be better than the generation before, and not held back by those in power.

EDIT: 08/04/19

Who could have foreseen just days after I posted this, that EVIL would strike in 2 American cities. And that what I said about a big public tradedy would embolden those with agendas, to capitolize on it. Just a sad, sad situation in so many ways. Thoughts and prayers.

Last edited:

Jhop567

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Sagle, Idaho
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Hopkins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRFL231
Service Branch
LEO
I'm a retired LEO, was an academy firearms instructor and department rangemaster. I am certified HR218 and yes, I carry whenever I leave home. As to why HR218 is available for retired LEO's...we trained constantly in situational awareness, defusing critical incidents, shoot/don't shoot and verbal judo, we qualified several times a year, were issued practice ammo monthly, attended classes annualy on law and civil updates relating to use of deadly force and upon retirement were deemed qualified because of training and experience to carry in 50 states to protect ourselves, our family and citizens. For those that feel retired LEO's are a special class, walk a mile in our shoes. I can only hope we're there to help out when needed.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

I'm a retired LEO, was an academy firearms instructor and department rangemaster. I am certified HR218 and yes, I carry whenever I leave home. As to why HR218 is available for retired LEO's...we trained constantly in situational awareness, defusing critical incidents, shoot/don't shoot and verbal judo, we qualified several times a year, were issued practice ammo monthly, attended classes annualy on law and civil updates relating to use of deadly force and upon retirement were deemed qualified because of training and experience to carry in 50 states to protect ourselves, our family and citizens. For those that feel retired LEO's are a special class, walk a mile in our shoes. I can only hope we're there to help out when needed.
Sir how long were you a police officer? Just got into the the line of work. Crossed over into the danger zone from being a firefighter for 9 years. Last few years been driving a semi

Jhop567

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Sagle, Idaho
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Hopkins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRFL231
Service Branch
LEO
Sir how long were you a police officer? Just got into the the line of :)work. Crossed over into the danger zone from being a firefighter for 9 years. Last few years been driving a semi
I spent 30+ years, 28 with 1 dept. I had a variety of assignments and enjoyed most of the 30+ I worked. Be careful and have fun. Keep in mind, there arn't any lounge chairs in law enforcement : )

• Wow
Reactions: Griff and mep1811

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

I spent 30+ years, 28 with 1 dept. I had a variety of assignments and enjoyed most of the 30+ I worked. Be careful and have fun. Keep in mind, there arn't any lounge chairs in law enforcement : )
Yessir, was tough to leave the lounge chair and the carton of ice cream behind haha.

Jhop567

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Sagle, Idaho
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Hopkins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRFL231
Service Branch
LEO
The fireman's mantra..."Eat till you're sleepy, sleep till you're hungry"... :grinning:. The LEO's mantra..."God created cops so firemen could have heros"...:yum::yum:

• Wow

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

The fireman's mantra..."Eat till you're sleepy, sleep till you're hungry"... :grinning:. The LEO's mantra..."God created cops so firemen could have heros"...:yum::yum:
I get all the time...well you decided to come actually work for a living now tease...but wasn’t that type of fire fighter. Faught forest fires so was chasing smoke reports all over the western United States.

Jhop567

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Sagle, Idaho
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Hopkins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRFL231
Service Branch
LEO
We need all first responders, without them life would be a disaster.

• Wow