Camp Stove

• HTML tutorial

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

For over 10 years I’ve been using a Coleman dual fuel stove that has served me well.

B2F57B7D-B67A-465D-AB55-F49986794CB1.jpeg

Then a few years ago my wife got me a Camp Chef 3 burner propane stove. It works great and is big providing a lot of area for cooking, but it’s that size that limits us taking it due to limited storage space in my Jeep and trailer. If we are camping with a large group, I’ll make room, but it’s primary use is for frying the Thanksgiving turkey.

EBCF6C3D-5382-41FF-AA9A-C4417ECB3441.jpeg

I do like that the Camp Chef is propane, but wasn’t a fan of the little 1lb bottles most propane camp stoves use. When I found an adapter hose that allows me to run a camp stove on an LP bottle, I decided to pick up a Coleman dual burner.

56239452-0913-4DA6-B6DE-82F830034134.jpeg

I’ve since ordered a propane tank mount that will allow me to mount my 11lb propane tank to my trailer, saving valuable storage space in the trailer.

UPDATE: mount arrived and installed

3EB06337-C1AC-4BE8-9FB5-71E3B1892C2C.jpeg

Last edited:

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
I'm pretty conflicted on my choice for overland camp stove. I have tried various including the old-trusty-nearly-40-year-old Colman white gas model. It is reliable and the only maintenance I've had to do is to replace the pump gasket. However, I have tried the single-burner propane model, but keeping extra cylinders on hand can be a pain. I went to the Bio Lite https://www.bioliteenergy.com/products/campstove-2 which is an interesting concept of using sticks and twigs to cook on. It has a heat-generated fan and can even charge your cell phone. I really like it, but it has some down sides, namely you have to constantly monitor the fuel use and keep tossing sticks and twigs into the burner. The other is that it will blacken your pots and pans, then it is difficult to store them without getting everything they touch black. I suppose I will continue my quest for the perfect camp stove, but in the mean time, I have options.Avon_CO_2014 037.JPG

Reactions: TerryD

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

How are you getting on with the stove i really like the look and simplicity of it BnT
I’ve been thinking about getting one of these too. Only downside is the cost in UK. I’m also wondering how well they run on Camping Gaz or if you have to use propane.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

DesertFox

Rank III

Advocate II

California
Member #

I’ve been thinking about getting one of these too. Only downside is the cost in UK. I’m also wondering how well they run on Camping Gaz or if you have to use propane.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
I want one as well. They're about $300 over here so not cheap, but I've read they are quite reliable and almost indestructible.

Reactions: Tim

FJ81

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southern California
Member #

How are you getting on with the stove i really like the look and simplicity of it BnT
Its robust and simple! Fully rebuildable. No fancy electric start, just two burners, two control valves, nice and compact. 12"x18"x3.5"

In the latest 4xOverland video on youtube, ASPW shows his for a moment on his troopy.

They also make a newer grille design than what I have. It basically adds a couple more grille bars over the burner area so you can heat narrow cups.

Reactions: Tim and Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Couldn't agree more on the Partner Steel Stoves. I have the 22" and just got done using it for sixteen weeks straight on a 12,500 mile trip. Though I have a mess of other ways to cook, including a skottle, Weber grill, butane single-burners, and tiny backpack stoves for day hikes and bike rides, my Partner 22 is what I turned to every morning and evening.

Made of high grade aluminum and expertly hand welded, this is one rugged expedition-worthy stove meant to last generations. There are a wide variety of prices, from expensive at http://amzn.to/2CFHExl to what I found to be the most reasonable price, at Adventure Ready: https://adventure-ready.com/store/partner-steel-22/

Here's a mess of images of my camp kitchen setup and some meals made on the Partner Steel 22".

roaddude_partnerstove22-1310.jpg
High grade aluminum, expertly hand welded.

roaddude_partnerstove22-0646.jpg
It fits perfectly in the top of my Beaver Tree Camp Kitchen, which has just enough room in the top when closed to also store my griddle, a couple sauté pans, and pot holders. Always there, always ready to work. This shot is on the tailgate of my trailer, where I set things up for quick meals if not camping but just stopping for a break.

roaddude_partnerstove22-0552.jpg
Not sure about other sizes, but as FJ81 said, this one has added stainless steel bars over each burner with closer spacing so you can more easily heat up a mug.

roaddude_partnerstove22-3430.jpg

Works perfectly with a good griddle spanning both burners, expanding dramatically what you can cook easily and efficiently. I used it like this a lot, even heating water in a mug on the griddle while breakfast was cooking.

roaddude_partnerstove22-3530.jpg
I often put some cheap doubled up meatloaf tins with binder clips on the griddle to create a makeshift oven. Made a full Thanksgiving meal this way.

roaddude_partnerstove22-3696.jpg
This is my typical galley set up when base-camping, with the Partner Steel 22" as the center and workhorse. The galley table extends the other side another several feet, with a hot/cold sink at the end. All super quick to deploy or stow away.

Makes it super easy to make meals like this:

roaddude_partnerstove22-3450.jpg

More with the stove and other stuff on my Insta feed at instagram.com/roaddude

Dry roads and open skies to you, hope you find just the right stove for your needs!

Last edited:

Jeremy M.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mascoutah, IL, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
McNeil
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K2JTM
Service Branch
Army
Craigslist yourself a coleman dual fuel stove, they last forever and parts are readily available.

BackWoods

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Northfield, Summit County, Ohio, United States
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Tritabaugh
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I have an old Colman 3 burner propane Guide series stove. It had 2 normal burners & one high output burner that can get up to 10,000 BTU. This baby is a workhorse & I love it. Can use one lbs bottles or hook it up to bigger propane tanks. I’ve feed a group of 15 breakfast with this stove no problem.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Sgt12XU

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sunnyvale, CA
Member #

Camp Chef Everest propane two burner is great. The burners can boil water quickly yet the simmer adjustment is good as well. Great stove thus far. Blocks wind and has auto ignition.

Joe Mayernik

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Park City
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Mayernik
Member #

I was going to buy a Partner Steel 9" detachable and ran across a

Garcima L-20 Professional Paellero Gas Burner thought I'd try one of those and if it works well buy another one and run a split line. Has anyone used one of these?
My thought is I will have better gas control around different size pans and pots and without a case surrounding the burners less weight and easier clean up. Will be using on a stainless steel counter with a heat shield

Attachments

Last edited:

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I was going to buy a Partner Steel 9" detachable and ran across a

Garcima L-20 Professional Paellero Gas Burner thought I'd try one of those and if it works well buy another one and run a split line. Has anyone used one of these?
My thought is I will have better gas control around different size pans and pots and without a case surrounding the burners less weight and easier clean up. Will be using on a stainless steel counter with a heat shield
Those are burners meant to go in an existing stove for cooking Paella, from what little I know about them. Website says the L20 is suitable for stoves from 26-38 cm (roughly 10-15"). I haven't used this exact burner, but have used plenty of stand alone burners before. If using this one as a stand alone and cooking outside, you're really going to want to rig some sort of windscreen to go 'round at least three sides. Might not seem important if you haven't done much cooking on an open burner outside, but even slight breezes can affect the efficiency of a burner quite a bit. You'll find yourself cranking that thing up to get the same heat, resulting in more fuel spent and longer cooking times.

Do you know if you can turn the outside ring on and off, so if you want to heat up soup or coffee in a smaller saucepan, you can? The outside broadcasters start at a 8.25" circle, meaning the flame will be a 9" or so circle. That's about the outside diameter of a lot of skillets used in regular cooking, meaning that flame is going to wrap up around the sides instead of spreading across the bottom where it should. Typical Paella pans are big suckers at 12-15" and more. The inner broadcaster set of jets is 3.25". If you can turn off the outside ring and just use the inside one when heating coffee and using regular pans and skillets, you'll be able to use the burner for a lot more cooking.

Last edited:

Joe Mayernik

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Park City
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Mayernik
Member #

Those are burners meant to go in an existing stove for cooking Paella, from what little I know about them. Website says the L20 is suitable for stoves from 26-38 cm (roughly 10-15"). I haven't used this exact burner, but have used plenty of stand alone burners before. If using this one as a stand alone and cooking outside, you're really going to want to rig some sort of windscreen to go 'round at least three sides. Might not seem important if you haven't done much cooking on an open burner outside, but even slight breezes can affect the efficiency of a burner quite a bit. You'll find yourself cranking that thing up to get the same heat, resulting in more fuel spent and longer cooking times.

Do you know if you can turn the outside ring on and off, so if you want to heat up soup or coffee in a smaller saucepan, you can? The outside broadcasters start at a 8.25" circle, meaning the flame will be a 9" or so circle. That's about the outside diameter of a lot of skillets used in regular cooking, meaning that flame is going to wrap up around the sides instead of spreading across the bottom where it should. Typical Paella pans are big suckers at 12-15" and more. The inner broadcaster set of jets is 3.25". If you can turn off the outside ring and just use the inside one when heating coffee and using regular pans and skillets, you'll be able to use the burner for a lot more cooking.
This one I would use for pots and pans but the next model up has 3 rings with each ring separately controlled so that was a good point you made and if this works out i might buy the larger one for that reason. I have a grillguard 28" ( http://grillguard.com/ ) which i love for wind protection and as stated i have a stainless steel counter top

Reactions: Road

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

I have a two burner coleman, it's fine but not perfect. The problem I've encountered is needing to have a level and large enough space to set up the stove so that contents aren't spilling (or nearly so) out of the pan/pot. I despise having to gather rocks or fire wood to create wedges to level the stove - disasters can happen (don't ask me how I know this :))

I find myself frequently setting up camp in places (much of this by preference) where there isn't no campsite table, or the pickup truck is parked on an angle so using the tailgate is a bit awkward - also since I'm using a RTT I don't like to cook right below my tent over my truck bed (think fumes, splatter, grease, etc.) cause I don't want to soil the tent fabric (over time) and really don't want "critters" being attracted to our campsite during the night anymore than necessary.

I've finally settled on a combo set up. I use two 1# propane fuel cylinders with those cheap screw on single burners - its just so much easier to find one or two small level spots... also I bring an MSR Pocket rocket style burner but use that only for water/coffee/afternoon tea/or cooking pasta/rice etc.

I do carry a small metal collapsible table with me at all times but use that for food prep, eating, laying out maps, and other misc "stuff" so don't wish to have to "clear the table" so I can cook... YMMV

Joe Mayernik

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Park City
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Mayernik
Member #

It's being delivered to today and I will do some testing with it and post results. My thought process is this size and the larger 3 ring is about $80 less then the partner steel stove $300 I already have the grillguard so if these work then I save a little money, a lot of space and weight and have more flexibility for cooking I can add the legs if I want and do big Paella pan to if i want.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

It's being delivered to today and I will do some testing with it and post results. My thought process is this size and the larger 3 ring is about $80 less then the partner steel stove $300 I already have the grillguard so if these work then I save a little money, a lot of space and weight and have more flexibility for cooking I can add the legs if I want and do big Paella pan to if i want.
Cool man, interested in how it turns out for you. Separate burners might be a perfect solution for some situations.

2infinity&beyond

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Livermore, CA
Member #

I have a two burner coleman, it's fine but not perfect. The problem I've encountered is needing to have a level and large enough space to set up the stove so that contents aren't spilling (or nearly so) out of the pan/pot. I despise having to gather rocks or fire wood to create wedges to level the stove - disasters can happen (don't ask me how I know this :))

I find myself frequently setting up camp in places (much of this by preference) where there isn't no campsite table, or the pickup truck is parked on an angle so using the tailgate is a bit awkward - also since I'm using a RTT I don't like to cook right below my tent over my truck bed (think fumes, splatter, grease, etc.) cause I don't want to soil the tent fabric (over time) and really don't want "critters" being attracted to our campsite during the night anymore than necessary.

I've finally settled on a combo set up. I use two 1# propane fuel cylinders with those cheap screw on single burners - its just so much easier to find one or two small level spots... also I bring an MSR Pocket rocket style burner but use that only for water/coffee/afternoon tea/or cooking pasta/rice etc.

I do carry a small metal collapsible table with me at all times but use that for food prep, eating, laying out maps, and other misc "stuff" so don't wish to have to "clear the table" so I can cook... YMMV
The leveling thing always killed me with my Coleman's (which I have gone through three in the last couple years, don't ask). My most recent stove I went with the Camp Chef Summit two burner, for the flame control (which is way better then the newer Coleman stuff). Another thing I really like is that all four feet are adjustable in height, about an inch in range. So it is pretty easy to get it level. Plus the size and quality seems pretty good.

Reactions: Eric Neal

Nomad00XJ

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Littleton, CO
Member #

I love the vintage Coleman I found on Cragslist, for $20 it's really hard to beat. I just looked and there's a pawn shop in Denver that has 4 stoves for $25 each.

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

I have a half dozen coleman dual fuel, best to wait till the end of camping season and pick them up off of local classified for dirt cheap. 2 I have seriously felt like I have stolen, one was $20. It came brand new in the dam box with 2 gallons of white gas, said his family did not like camp. Seriously how do you beat that price, how about one for $5.00. and I will be t money that it has only used 3 times. I also have a few dozen camp chef things, but for overlanding SHTF etc, I would take the partner. I also own a 22", I have several river rat friends who use partner steel exclusively, and they are dam nice. I like the recessed knobs (no change of shearing off when off-roading), solid construction and their stand is dam genius and takes up very little space, I store the block off plate under the stove since they are the same sized and use the blue ridge overland bag to hold the stove. Amazing setup. I keep the stove on top of the plano case in the rear, and the stand int he green canvas bag in the front of the rack. Just fits like a glove and great product.
I used my stove for over 2 weeks straight at Rushmore, a few camp trips here and there, a few summer get together's with friends, and family reunion, Christmas meal at my aunts place, and a few pot lucks at work. Seriously my favorite stove, and considering I own a dozen dutch ovens, coleman/ camp chef large and small, bayou cookers, wok burners, 2 smokers, 3 grills, the skottle, and more cookware than you can imagine, that says something, plus they are American made!