Camp Stove

• HTML tutorial

IdahoGrizz

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Buhl, ID
Member #

You may want to check your control stem. I've had great luck controlling the temp on my 5 stoves. Sometimes it can also be that there's not sufficient pressure in the tank, I have had that trouble before as well.
I've tried some of the fixes I've heard about. But thanks. You are far more of a veteran of those than I. Regardless, they are great little stoves for the money.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I've tried some of the fixes I've heard about. But thanks. You are far more of a veteran of those than I. Regardless, they are great little stoves for the money.
They are great little stoves but can be finicky, especially if you get a used one like I have. The best advice I can give is get them out and run them at home when you have the time. Try fixing breakfast on one on the weekend or whip up something for supper. It's like anything else, practice makes perfect. I need to run mine more than I do! :laughing:

Reactions: IdahoGrizz

Rexplorer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Lake Country, BC, Canada
Member #

its time for me to get a stove so this thread is good to see. now i bring a small propane bbq and a whitegas/ or butane camping burner. it will be important for the new burner to use either propane or liquid fuel, since i bring those two already, but any preferences you have? i'm leaning towards propane but have good memories of white gas coleman stoves.

rlhydn

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I opted for a dual fuel Coleman for a couple of reasons..

1. Heat - burns very hot compared to butane or LPG
2. Waste - does not need throwaway cans or canisters
3. Fuel source - Wasn't keen on carrying a LPG bottle
4. Backup fuel source - can be used with unleaded petrol if needed
5. Coleman Sportster reviews very well, small, strong unit runs great in foul weather.

Things I would improve if I could,
1. Bigger fuel capacity, or hose link to a bottle

Everything else is manual and simple - more reliable I suppose

Reactions: TerryD

RockyMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
I keep several stoves around. My car camping stove is a Coleman dual burner propane unit. My backpacking stove is a MSR whisperlite international. Both are fantastic for their intended purpose.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Reactions: k9sar

ASNOBODY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate II

Detroit, Michigan
Member #

Yes, that one

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
I do, and I actually like it a lot so far. I've had it for around a year or so I think, and it hasn't had any of the issues it was supposed to have according to some reviews etc… I did mention in another post somewhere that I immediately ordered the questionable parts but have not had to replace anything as it has performed flawlessly.

Kind of hard to see but it's there…out in the woods…cooking. :)

Edit: I should add that I've been pretty happy with the actual cookware included as well. I've even weeded out a couple other pots and pans as these are doing a pretty great job.

Reactions: MBroenkow

DCFISK

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

LANTANA, TX
Member #

I do, and I actually like it a lot so far. I've had it for around a year or so I think, and it hasn't had any of the issues it was supposed to have according to some reviews etc… I did mention in another post somewhere that I immediately ordered the questionable parts but have not had to replace anything as it has performed flawlessly.

Kind of hard to see but it's there…out in the woods…cooking. :)

Edit: I should add that I've been pretty happy with the actual cookware included as well. I've even weeded out a couple other pots and pans as these are doing a pretty great job.

Great, I think I am going through with it. Just wanted to see if there were any issues the community could let me know of. Thank you for the good info!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
Got a chance to use the dual burner Jetboil this weekend and it works really well. I have to echo the above comments about the pot that comes with it, very useful and love how it can't slide off the burner. We weren't in high winds so I did not test out the windshield. Great burner control. The only downside I see is not having a full body like other two burner stoves means you don't have anything to stop the grease spatter going on to whatever surface is behind the stove. I really like the satellite burner options as I use my regular jet boil to heat water for coffee. For my purposes, I could see going with the Eureka stove mentioned above which also has the satellite jet boil capability to also have the benefit of the built-in wind/grease screen.

FJ81

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southern California
Member #

Have you had a chance to try this stove out? All reviews I've read say this stove is spectacular. Be interested to hear your experience.
I have not, there has been a ban on cooking, even with propane down here in southern California, due to all the fires. So just water and sandwiches the last few weeks. But I hear they are great. I like that you can rebuild them completely too.

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
I have not, there has been a ban on cooking, even with propane down here in southern California, due to all the fires. So just water and sandwiches the last few weeks. But I hear they are great. I like that you can rebuild them completely too.
Can you point me to the info on the propane stove restrictions in Southern California? Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

FJ81

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southern California
Member #

When we paid at the gate they told us. They may have been lifted now, maybe check with the local Ranger station before you go.

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
When we paid at the gate they told us. They may have been lifted now, maybe check with the local Ranger station before you go.
Thanks, I'll look into it further. Where were you at the time?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk