Camp Shower (Merged)

• HTML tutorial

MrHentoni

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Littleton, CO, USA
Member #

Hey guys, as I get further into my build, I am realizing that some of the creature comforts of society would be nice to take out to the trail as I go on longer adventures. The biggest thing is a shower. Some days, whether its been raining and you're a bit chilly, had to dig the rig out of the mud and need to clean up, need to wash the dog, or just want to rinse off and get clean from the day-to-day filth we experience, this is something of a luxury that I wouldn't mind having around. Plus depending on how you route it, you could use the hot water to clean the dishes after a meal.

My question to everyone who has done this, or has plans to do so, how can it be done? The key for me is going to be lightweight, (fairly) low profile, and able to utilize any water source available (stream, lake, water left in the bottom of the cooler, ect).

The way I'm currently thinking is to use a dry pump (self priming) that will be pre-filtered, then have a UV filter for any bacteria and such somewhere in the line (would pre or post pump be better for this?). Then have it T off for a cold source and the other through a heat exchanger in the engine bay or even an in-line electric heater. At the shower head, an adjustable mixing valve to adjust the temp (I like warm showers, but my girl takes scalding ones). Obviously most of the hoses for the system will need to be removable so I'll need hose fittings somewhere in the path of travel, probably mounted to the bumpers.

I'm very interested to see what everyone has done!

Reactions: RiverCityDave

MrHentoni

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Littleton, CO, USA
Member #

I love the setup! I'm still thinking something "on-board" where I would just have to couple in the intake hose and an output hose and then flip a switch for the pump and heater. This may be a great solution up until I get mine setup how I'd like.

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
This is a common topic on some of the forums, ( Hot Water Systems ) I'm personally a fan of the Helton Hot water Exchanger, (Cruiser Outfitters Sells full kits, I don't THINK Curt advertises here, YET....) but basically it fits under the hood, uses the block heat to warm water in one or two passes and outputs where ever you want it to.

I'm by no means affiliated with these folks, I just like the product. It works great, I even use it after Mountain Biking before I load up. I feed off of a 5 gallon Jerry can, or a rotopax, however you can even put the feed hose in a creek, river or lake with an appropriate pickup filter.

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

Zodi hot water kit:Browning privacy tent.

Thus concludes our lesson in brownie points....
This is pretty much the setup I'm gonna go with. How do like the zodiac water kit and water blocks?

I was thinking of using 4 inch pvc tubes mounted on top and using the viair to pressurize the system but didn't like the idea of shifting weight mounted up top. So water storage locations is gonna take some figuring out.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

I was very impressed with the Zodi, @stoney126 . Coupled with a 3.5 gallon Water Brick we could get about a 5 minute long hot shower.
When the water is cold from overnight low ambient temps, I would just put the shower head back in the brick and let it circulate for a few minutes to get the brick's water temp up to snuff. Worked like a charm.

BEAR

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Concord, California, United States
First Name
Barron
Last Name
Flanders
Member #

a few guys in my Land Rover club have the road shower. I haven't heard about how well it is as a shower but seems to work great for doing dishes or cleaning feet off. If the water isn't hot enough or your spouse just used it all up you can boil or heat some up on the stove and put it in. you do need some sort of onboard air or bike pump to pressureize it though. http://www.roadshower.com/ I use the Nemo Helio. It's really nice too. It collapses very small and fits in my drawers. I haven't used it as a shower yet but it comes in handy for dishes. you have to leave it out for a very long time so it doesn't work very well unless you have a base camp but I feel like you could heat some water up on the stove and mix it. just be careful pouring. you pressurize it with a collapsible foot pump so you don't need to hang it from a tree and use gravity. http://www.rei.com/product/882468/nemo-helio-pressure-shower

Reactions: roamingtimber

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

I was very impressed with the Zodi, @stoney126 . Coupled with a 3.5 gallon Water Brick we could get about a 5 minute long hot shower.
When the water is cold from overnight low ambient temps, I would just put the shower head back in the brick and let it circulate for a few minutes to get the brick's water temp up to snuff. Worked like a charm.

Ok @stringtwelve last question before i pull trigger. How does the water empty out of the tent? Ok two questions . Do you run a pole to hold the shower? Costco is selling the single zodi unit and pole for the same price i can get just the zodi anywhere else.

Also theyre was this http://www.costco.com/Zodi™-Hot-Tap™-High-Performance-All-Season-Instant-Hot-Shower-with-Shower-Enclosure.product.100040718.html

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

North Cascades, Washington
Member #

Like @bear, I'm an Nemo Helio fan. Warm some water on the camp stove and go for it. I'm familiar with "navy showers", get wet, turn off the water, soap up, turn on the water to rinse off and you're done. Same concept. No "Navy Shower" jokes please. I've heard them all.

Reactions: TallSteve

Cpl J

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Madras Oregon
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
ke7cqw
th.jpeg Has anyone built a hot water supply by using black pvc pipe a schrader valve and mounted it on their roof? You can pressurize the pvc with a small compressor to get water pressure.

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

View attachment 3157 Has anyone built a hot water supply by using black pvc pipe a schrader valve and mounted it on their roof? You can pressurize the pvc with a small compressor to get water pressure.
Pressure won't last long enough. Water doesn't compress, PVC doesn't stretch, and to have enough air to hold pressure you'd need 2:1 (at least) airspace to waterspace.

Now, hook up a low flow 12v RV water pump and you'd have something.

I swear I just had this discussion. Might have been one of my popup forums...

Reactions: Ganja_Overland

Cpl J

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Madras Oregon
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
ke7cqw
Yea i had a friend that was telling about them, I know seems like it would be more work then it is worth.

Reactions: Overland 505

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

I thought about trying to build one with PVC but also decided it wasn't worth it. Additionally the reasons cited above probably make it unworkable. I sure do miss my Australian shower from my Army days. Might have to rethink that again.

Reactions: Cpl J

Cpl J

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Madras Oregon
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
ke7cqw
I thought about trying to build one with PVC but also decided it wasn't worth it. Additionally the reasons cited above probably make it unworkable. I sure do miss my Australian shower from my Army days. Might have to rethink that again.
Wait, you got to shower in the Army? I was in the Marines, my shower was a spit bath..lol

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

Now that I've brought it up, does anyone know where to find an Australian shower like the Oztrail canvas bucket shower in the Untied States. Everything I find so far is only in Aussieland.

Reactions: Overland 505

Rob GoVenture

Rank III

Advocate I

View attachment 3157 Has anyone built a hot water supply by using black pvc pipe a schrader valve and mounted it on their roof? You can pressurize the pvc with a small compressor to get water pressure.

In process....

Built this the other night during some downtime at work. It will be mounted on the lid of my mini adventure trailer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk