Camp Shower (Merged)

• HTML tutorial

Doddfathers

Rank 0

Contributor II

I wanted a shower so bad.
So did this. Padding not to crush my roof haha

Then from bunnings bought a black water container. It has perfect size plug holes for a hose attachment.

Plugged the end. It holds 60 litres. Ive had about 30 litres in it. In the Australian sun and also when driving it really heats up quick. Then from that i siphon to a bucket. Then use this set up along with a 12volt car shower. Simple

Possible a little bit of overkill. But nothing beats a warm shower after a long drive etc.

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I use a small pump sprayer like for household herbicide (but never been used). I also mount it where the hot air from the generator blows on it. After an hour of generator run time for lights and such, the water is warm.
Advantages: cheap, easy to use, no electricity needed, very small footprint for the capacity, durable plastic, comes ready to go with house and sprayer.

Disadvantages: non potable, low volume flow.

Outdoor Steve

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Temecula, California
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Braucht
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
You just saved me a lot of work. I was gonna build a pressurized thingy. Not now. I will stick to a wash cloth and basin.

Neight

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

El Cajon, CA
Member #

Came across this little thing.
RinseKit
"Outdoor rinses are no longer an issue. The revolutionary portable shower conveniently delivers hot, pressurized water anywhere!"
That's cool. The only downfall is that they do not yet offer a "field fill kit" so the only way to fill now is off of a pressurized system.

WhiskeyIsMySpiritAnimal

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Scottsdale AZ
Member #

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Zodi. It's self contained, dead simple, requires no power and holds enough water for two frugal showers or one luxurious shower. Only downside is it doesn't "bolt on" to the rig, but if you can set up a skottle you can set up one of these. I have one and it works fantastic, heats up fat keeps the heat for a loooong time, and has a built in pump and temp gauge. I used it for dishes too. I've seen folks put a different tube on it with a kitchen sink sprayer so you can control the water flow at the head instead of at the tank.
extreme-s-c.jpg

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
We use an Eco temp portable shower. It's mounted into a knockoff pelican case.
For these you need water under constant pressure. Having an onbboard water pump is super handy though so I made a pump box mounted to the roll Bar of the JK in the dead space near the roof.

The pump is from an RV and automatically shuts off when the system reaches 60psi, and kicks in again when it drops below 50 Psi. It works like a charm.

The shower is also automatic: It's supposed to automatically ignite and heat the water as it flows, saving propane. So, you hose down to getting wet and then turn the flow off. Both the pump and the shower heater then shut off. Soap up and when you click the valve to rinse it all turns back on again. Great in theory but two major downsides: first is the fiddlyness with getting it set up right. Once it's set we can burn through shower after shower without stopping. But getting it set up and getting the shower properly primed takes some messing.

Problem number 2 is the mid - sized pelican takes up space that could be used for something else. There is very limited volume of cargo area in the JK.

I'll be swapping the Eco temp for an onboard heat exchanger soon; it'll work on the same principle as the Eco temp but it will use the heat from the motors coolant passing through the exchanger and heating the water rather than a propane flame and copper coil. Given our style of travel this will work as we shower in camp when the motor is warm from a Day of driving, so it's more fuel efficient. Having everything built into the rig saves cargo space too.

The design uses a standard household mixing valve and a bypass system to ensure the water at the hose head never exceeds a set temperature. I'll draw a picture and post it up soon.

The pump works flawlessly. We bring some decent lengths of lightweight plastic tubing and we can pull water from streams or creeks about 75 feet away. We can also Park on a bridge and suck water right up into a Jerry can if need be. We get about 5 gallons at about the same speed as you'd get from a household garden hose. We use a hi flow RV filter to get rid of particulates and they filter for potability using a Sawyer Mini.

Sent from my BBA100-1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: QCrunner

pierceg

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Missoula, MT
Member #

I run a heat exchanger and pump under the hood with an on and off switch.
Have the pump connected to hydraulic quick disconnects. And it's plumbed into the trucks heating/cooling for heating water that runs through the exchage.
I connect hose to one end with a filter, toss it into water source, bucket, creek etc. Start truck, power on pump.
Connnect to other end a shower sprayer. In about 2 min I have 110 degree water and it gets warmer. Controlled by heater controls in truck.
Use to have a valve for cold/hot, but to much hoses, so I removed the valve to make it more simple.

53kemper

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Woodland Hills California
Member #

I built a shower out of 3" Black PVC and used it on my latest trip. Worked great. I have a small 12v bicycle pump connected to it and it pressurizes the tube. The water pleasure is great and the sun hitting the black tube during the day warms the water nicely. It also worked for washing dishes and rinsing off all the desert dust off my truck. Not sure if I can post a video.17264599_10208978363751891_2144151420033869718_n.jpg

Attachments