Justin
Last Name
Barlage
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6MEU
Service Branch
Army
Not much for over landing but first trip with the girl. Borderline glamping, extremely hot, a bit dusty. She is convinced we should actually overland now as in dispersed camping in the middle of no where.
American River Resort in placerville, CA.

Attachments

Alex Brame

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Woodburn, Oregon, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Brame
Member #

Location, location, location or is it a secret hide out. LOL
I figured someone would ask. Sorry I didn't mention it. Always trying to post and work at the same time. This place was recommended to us by people we met along our route. Succor Creek campground is in Eastern Oregon close to the Idaho border.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Not much for over landing but first trip with the girl. Borderline glamping, extremely hot, a bit dusty. She is convinced we should actually overland now as in dispersed camping in the middle of no where.
I know Placerville, great spot. Broke my neck in a diving accident near there in a Sacramento river tributary in 1947. Love to go back one day.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I figured someone would ask. Sorry I didn't mention it. Always trying to post and work at the same time. This place was recommended to us by people we met along our route. Succor Creek campground is in Eastern Oregon close to the Idaho border.
Thanks Alex, I've been planning a trip up into that country and do a little fishing if I can. I hope I can find it, it looks very peaceful. :-)

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Hey you gotta great partner if she's willing to rough it. She is a keeper in my book ! :-)

Last edited:
Reactions: NorCalRam

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
Near the Glacier Lake lookout (no longer exists) at the N end of Harrison Lake BC. We ran out of day light and time, called it day on a dead end FSR. This is the front of the line with my Discovery on the right, us disco owner's tend to herd together. The tent overhang is just big enough to keep me and the Stove out of the drizzle.

It was cool misty night

Christopher Hersey

Rank VI
Launch Member

Builder I

Roseville, CA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Hersey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6GTB
That’s a great area. I camped at Leslie Gulch two years ago. I really want to go back and explore more and see the lava flow near Cow Lakes.1402E21C-C476-412E-83C3-B0147F81DA9B.jpegD482541D-3820-40E4-80EF-B34DB5DC1815.jpeg

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Near the Glacier Lake lookout (no longer exists) at the N end of Harrison Lake BC. We ran out of day light and time, called it day on a dead end FSR. This is the front of the line with my Discovery on the right, us disco owner's tend to herd together. The tent overhang is just big enough to keep me and the Stove out of the drizzle.

It was cool misty night

Why dosent the glacier lake lookout exist anymore ?

Does everyone have RTT's these days in B.C.?
They seem to take away the feeling of camping out to me. It would give me the feeling of inferiority if I am the only one in a tent but wouldn't stop me from enjoying myself. I'm not criticizing, only commenting on how things have changed over the years and I think separating the species into multiple groups of campers.

We now have the RTT group, The trailer group, the tent dwellers, the rough it group that have all out rigs that go anywhere, the back packing group who are the minimalist, and me because I dont belong in any specific group.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
The lookout may still be there but there has been some logging in the area and most of the non active roads are heavily overgrown, we just could not locate it it looks like the road has just vanished. That happens a lot up here.

We have a few ground tent guys still, but our group tries to be 4 seasons and we stay far away from organized campsites. And in the PNW that mostly means rain and mud usually late Sept until mid June, so RTT's, Awnings, and sand/mud matts.

I had a delightful 4 days on the west coast on Vancouver island in torrential rain, I was still sleeping in the Disco then and no awning just a big tarp. It was a great trip but a ground tent would have been a nightmare, there were a couple of inches of water on the ground, in large puddles most mornings.

But when I think back in my 20's a couple of army half shelters, air mattress and a mummy bag was good enough even overnighting at whistler before skiing the next day. But I like a bit of comfort now that I am in my 60's.

And our group is just happy to have folks come out, pretty much whether they are fully loaded or just starting out with a basic ground tent and stove. The new guys get lots of help and advice and the ground tent guys generally get 1st pick of the ground.

We average 12 to 16 trucks, although your can not see it we have 2 ground tents, 3 vehicles with people sleeping inside and then the rest of us in variety of RTT's

Yea I have an RTT and awning and pretty much everything else is 10+ years old, other than a few led lights and I am pretty happy.

Why dosent the glacier lake lookout exist anymore ?

Does everyone have RTT's these days in B.C.?
They seem to take away the feeling of camping out to me. It would give me the feeling of inferiority if I am the only one in a tent but wouldn't stop me from enjoying myself. I'm not criticizing, only commenting on how things have changed over the years and I think separating the species into multiple groups of campers.

We now have the RTT group, The trailer group, the tent dwellers, the rough it group that have all out rigs that go anywhere, the back packing group who are the minimalist, and me because I dont belong in any specific group.
[/QUOTE

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
The lookout may still be there but there has been some logging in the area and most of the non active roads are heavily overgrown, we just could not locate it it looks like the road has just vanished. That happens a lot up here.

We have a few ground tent guys still, but our group tries to be 4 seasons and we stay far away from organized campsites. And in the PNW that mostly means rain and mud usually late Sept until mid June, so RTT's, Awnings, and sand/mud matts.

I had a delightful 4 days on the west coast on Vancouver island in torrential rain, I was still sleeping in the Disco then and no awning just a big tarp. It was a great trip but a ground tent would have been a nightmare, there were a couple of inches of water on the ground, in large puddles most mornings.

But when I think back in my 20's a couple of army half shelters, air mattress and a mummy bag was good enough even overnighting at whistler before skiing the next day. But I like a bit of comfort now that I am in my 60's.

And our group is just happy to have folks come out, pretty much whether they are fully loaded or just starting out with a basic ground tent and stove. The new guys get lots of help and advice and the ground tent guys generally get 1st pick of the ground.

We average 12 to 16 trucks, although your can not see it we have 2 ground tents, 3 vehicles with people sleeping inside and then the rest of us in variety of RTT's

Yea I have an RTT and awning and pretty much everything else is 10+ years old, other than a few led lights and I am pretty happy.
The four season thing is reason enough to have one and makes sense. I'm 85 years old so having anything off the ground is almost impossible for me. I recently gave my 13' scamp to my daughter. I dont know if I will ever use my new T3 Gazelle tent because of my limited ability to walk now that I can only walk with a cane. Sleeping in my LRD2 looks like my only option anymore.

Sounds like you have a really good group to overland and camp with. Too bad about your loss of trails to some good places. I think we lost a lot a few years back when the FS closed a lot of them In the National Parks for some pretty stupid reasons.

MrChris

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Port Hueneme, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
March
Member #

Service Branch
Army Airborne Ranger
OK! THANKS!!! Now the wife wants to know where that pic is from and how much for the night...LMAO...Could you DM me with any info you could? Thanks :)

Reactions: NorCalRam