Launch Member

Influencer II

Colwood, BC, Canada
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Ahhhh... what about SKIPPING rocks. See who can get the most skips out of a rock thrown across the water. A big part of the challenge with this is finding the right rock :-) The only problem I have is throwing out the old shoulder ( ball injury :-( )

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Guess it depends on the trip and the group I'm with or if we're stopping for the night on a travel stent in between major destinations. If we are hunkered down for a couple or more days I tend to do more in camp. But if we're still moving tend to keep it basic. But when we are in an area for some time and I'm with a group that likes to Glamp more than camp Board Games, Music, Movies (on a portable cheap amazon projector) are the go to things. With the "traditional" campers more night hiking, fireside chats, adult beverages (more frequent than the glampers), Star watching, Rock Skipping. Basically the quintessential nostalgic camping activities.

Reactions: Ubiety

GoodSid

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Lincoln County, NM, USA
First Name
Sid
Last Name
Goodloe
Member #

Do most of what others have posted but I like to add bush crafting/self reliance skills - carving, knot practice, building camp gadgets that make the longer camps easier. always fun to learn the plants in an area you can eat or use medicinally. Tracking animals and learning their patterns and such. Lots to figure out and teach the young ones so the old skills don't get lost.

Toady

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

TEXAS
First Name
Rob
Last Name
W
Member #

We always pack games on our trips. Uno, Suspend, deck of cards are all fun. We also carve dog sticks, feather sticks, small totems. Best dog stick is always a good competition!!(that's carving the best stick to roast hot dogs over the fire. You get points for most dogs and intricate carvings on side of stick) We try to not use any technology in camp, well except for my youngest, lol. I can hear her playing videos on her phone when we all go to bed.

Toady

edit- Cards Against Humanity is a fun game, but too many cards to take to the wilderness, lol

Reactions: 9Mike2

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

Most of what we do was noted, one that we have is "Past the Pigs" . The kids grew up playing, even my son had us send him the game in Iraq....One thing , don't be the first asleep or you wake up looking like a clown molester , that was with our hunting groups....

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
I like to try making some radio contacts if possible, or try to hit the nearest repeater. Often I have a new piece of kit I’ll be testing out or doing some familiarization with.
But usually after a little hike, playing with fire and cooking it’s about time to sleep.

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
Still laughing about “gnat-farts...”. I really try to just un-plug. Recently we (my beautiful wife and I) have been bird watching during the day and star-gazing at night.

If the kids and grand kids are along, then the card games come out after dinner. During the daylight, we try to wear out the kids and dogs on hikes, or fishing (if we are near fishing spots). My Sons like to play at bushcrafting-skills, like whittling forks, feather sticks, etc. stuff that can be used in camp. I enjoy those things too, but mostly if there are young kids along that can be taught something. I know what I know, but it makes me happy to see wonder in a child’s eyes that grandpa can make fire with two sticks and a string or a chocolate bar a soda can and a handkerchief.

The adult kids like to stay up late or leave the grandkids with Grandma and I, because...free babysitters and a night off! That’s usually when I open up all the sugary snacks and wind them up just in time for their parents to come back late and play “super-ball” trying to get them to go to sleep...ha ha. The best part of that scenario is that “Grandma and Grandpa are always considered “fun” by the Grandchildren, Moms and Dads learn to NOT leave children with Grandparents on a family camping trip, ANDsince Grandpa has always enjoyed his morning tea in quiet appreciation of life, kids and grandkids sleep in late...

Grandpa also loves waking everybody up in the late morning with some amazing breakfast food-a-palooza...

Michael Golden

Rank VI

Explorer I

Tampa Fl
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4BCN
Service Branch
U.S. Army
Most of the time I try and kick back, drink a few beers, and look over map of the road in front of me to see if there are any places I want to stop during the next days travels. I found a lot of great places that otherwise I may have missed.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
when i was stationed at groton, ct back in the 80s...me and some of the guys would get a bunch of beer and go camping on weekends. i always took super glue with me. even on long deployments on the sub, i had super glue. to this day i'm sure there are still stories about people and things that got super glued

now THAT's entertainment! :grinning:

1628349456698.png

Last edited:

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
when i was stationed at groton, ct back in the 80s...me and some of the guys would get a bunch of beer and go camping on weekends. i always took super glue with me. even on long deployments on the sub, i had super glue. to this day i'm sure there are still stories about people and things that got super glued

now THAT's entertainment! :grinning:

View attachment 206379
Handy man repair kit, first aid kit, opportunistic mischief all in one small package...what’s not to love?