CALLING ALL DADS: Help My Son Experience Overland.

• HTML tutorial

Trailspin

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Dads (and Moms) on OB - I've posted a bit of a preview of our adventure before, but this week marks the official countdown to our family's very special overlanding adventure. Hunt has a rare disease called mitochondrial disease or 'mito' for short. Once diagnosed, we were told he wouldn't walk, wouldn't talk, and had a 1 in 2 chance he wouldn't live to see his 12th bday. Thats why we created Team Hunt. Since Hunt's diagnosis, we started a the Team Hunt foundation to show him and others that all things are possible..since then we've raised $500K+ for research and family support. Currently, Hunt is walking, talking and loves all things outdoors including overlanding. He runs the risk of regressing at any moment, seizures could reverse how far we've come...but Hunt wants a full life and we're going to provide him one. My 'ask' of this community is to follow our adventure this last summer. We want to show all communities and families that kids with special needs (especially those given the worst of odds) can survive and thrive. Overlanding is in itself a journey...not to different from what we've experienced from his diagnosis. There is no end in mind, there is no cure....we endeavor down the road of life, embracing the journey not the destination. In Hunt's case, he loves jeeps, off roading and camping...a perfect stew for Overlanding. www.teamhunt.org has our background and will be updated to highlight our journey. I'll be posting this coming week our routes and hope to meet many of you West Coast folks along the way. We're starting south of San Francisco, over to Yosemite, up to Tahoe, back over to the coast then up to Oregon for an finale event at Nike and Mt. Hood. As a dad on dad's day...I'd love for you to meet my son, Hunt, and show him that anything is possible regardless of rig, gear, or the path you pick. Am Looking forward to meeting more friends in this forum/thread and please message me if you have any questions or want to say hello along the way!! Thanks Team Hunt (Michael , Ellen and Hunt!)

Attachments

Last edited:

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

This is close to my heart.

As some here know, I've got a son with an extraordinarily rare disease called Senior Løken Syndrome that causes congenital retinal Dystrophy and progressive kidney disease/failure. As if that weren't enough, he is also on the autism spectrum and doesn't speak.

I imagine i share many of the same hopes that you have for Hunt, and am wishing you the best on your journey!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trailspin

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

This is close to my heart.

As some here know, I've got a son with an extraordinarily rare disease called Senior Løken Syndrome that causes congenital retinal Dystrophy and progressive kidney disease/failure. As if that weren't enough, he is also on the autism spectrum and doesn't speak.

I imagine i share many of the same hopes that you have for Hunt, and am wishing you the best on your journey!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow. Thanks for this and good luck to you and your family in the journey of life. I'D love to send your family some TeamHunt gear if interested!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: 4xFar Adventures

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Hey everyone! I wanted to bump this and post a link to a quick recap video of the Team Hunt Adventure's first week here in CA! Mike (@Trailspin), Ellen and Hunt have been having a great time and have already met a few OB members at Corral Hollow.

This weekend they'll be up in the Lost Coast. @Michael has made a Rally Point on the homepage if you'd like more info on joining us:)

If you can't meet them in person, follow along through their Instagram posts.